• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uv5r on business band, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainjack_7

Attempting to us a Uv5r at work. I have the Chanel frequency and dpl code they provided me. I can receive but not transmit. What could I be overlooking? I have the Channel frequency and dpl code “311” entered into the radio.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you put entered a tx frequency and tx dpl. You may have overlooked that and just put the rx info in there. Also your baofeng may not be perfectly legal on business band, its an amateur radio and a bad one at that.

dmaria

Make sure you put entered a tx frequency and tx dpl. You may have overlooked that and just put the rx info in there. Also your baofeng may not be perfectly legal on business band, its an amateur radio and a bad one at that.

....and if it's a repeater, you may not have the offset programmed.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what programing software you're using, but the DPL has to be programed into both the receive and transmit sections of the channel.

If you don't have the DPL setting programed for transmit, then you won't break the squelches of the other radios and they won't hear you.

Captainjack_7

Made sure the radio was set to dx and rx dcs code 311 along with the frequency I am trying to use. I can receive but I sat in the cab with a coworker and hey keyed the Motorola mobile unit I am trying to talk to. With my rx dcs set to 311 I could hear his transmissions but he could only hear mine when his hand mic was out of the hangar. I understand on some radios it has a function to “open the radios ears when out of the hangar than only receive coded transmissions when in the mic hangar. I’m just wandering what I am missing hear?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I can only take a wild guess. But perhaps the Motorola radio receiver doesn't like the DPL codes the Baofeng is sending even though it's the correct number.. (Although they should be the same.. DPL is just Motorola's name for DCS).

Hopefully someone with more Motorola experience can add to this..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
With my rx dcs set to 311 I could hear his transmissions but he could only hear mine when his hand mic was out of the hangar.

This tells me a couple of things…
-The mobile radio is set up to run carrier squelch when the microphone is taken off hook. The way it should be.

-It also strongly suggests that there is something wrong with your radio. If this is a simplex radio system (radio to radio, no repeater involved), then the TX and RX tones should be the same. Unless you have your set to 311 - inverted, which isn't the same as 311 - normal, or whatever terminology the Chinese use for their radios.

-You have your TX and RX frequencies set correctly.

-My gut reaction is to not trust the Chinese radio.

cmdrwill

But perhaps the Motorola radio receiver doesn't like the DPL codes the Baofeng is sending even though it's the correct number.. (Although they should be the same.. DPL is just Motorola's name for DCS).

Hopefully someone with more Motorola experience can add to this..

Exactly, the DCS waveform from most ccr's are distorted. Motorola DPL does not decode a distorted waveform. Some of these ccr's do not adhere to the DPL or DCS standards either.

ergbert

Just for my amusement, I plugged a few of my work simplex frequencies and DPL into both of my CCR’s, a Baofeng UV-82 and a Radioddity GD-77. Not a single issue hearing or being heard by any of my Motorola HT toting coworkers, using either XPR7550’s or HT1250’s.

Just an experiment, to see if the Motorola’s are that particular, and the ones I’m in contact with seem not to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usswood

His DCS should probably be set on the tx freq only... his radio is waiting for the DCS on the rx to open the squelch and if they are not sending in the rx then his radio will hear the transmission but never open the squelch... I would set the tx freq DCS only and not the rx

also...no need for an offset if the rx and tx is set independent of each other

N5XPM

If a repeater is involved, there may be a different TX DCS from the RX DCS, which is an effective way to minimize unauthorized ( or non-paying ) users on the repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.