• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR Simplex Code Plug MD-380

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

Hi all,
I just received our licensed frequencies from our frequency coordinator and have created a simplex code plug for use with TYT MD-380 radios (10).

I created the contact list to include the 10 Church radios and one privet authorized radio as well as an All Call contact with Call ID of 99.

I then created the Digital RX Group List and added all contacts to it.

I created one zone with all five channels.

I did create a scan list, but I am not sure I want to use it.

I created the five channels with each having a name, same frequency placed in RX & TX, Admit Criteria = Always, Emergency System = None, Contact Name = All Call, Group List = None, and Color Code = 2. I set privacy to Enhanced and gave each frequency a privacy No.

Does anyone see any problem with how I am planning to set these radios up? The radios are due to arrive on Monday 5/11/18 and I want to ensure my code plug is correct prior to programming the radios.

Thank you in advance for your help or advice.

Matt

Matt - it seems as I am in the same boat as you....except in our case its a Canoe Livery with a ONE CHANNEL Mototrbo system. Our budget is very slim so I have been asked to check out the TYT MD UV380 radio. I know our CC, Slot and TG's...seen a lot of code plugs written for ham radio but you are the only one I have seen preparing to write one for commercial radio LMR DMR. Very interested in your codeplug when its in its completion...something that I can learn from and tweak in the form of the UV 380 just in case the CPS software is indeed different on the newer UHF/VHF combo radios. Would you be willing to email your finished project file once its operational...much appreciated...Tony

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Hi Matt -

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your intent, but if you want to have five different DMR "channels" on your ten radios, you'll need to create a digital talk group for each logical channel/group (ie. parking, security, maintenance, etc) that you want to have. Then each of the channels that you create will reflect one of the talk groups that you have created. Remember that, at a minimum, each DMR channel must have a TX frequency, a RX frequency, a talk group (group call), a color code and a time slot. Each radio must also have an individual ID number. SInce you're operating on your own frequency, you can use whatever talkgroup or individual ID numbers that you like.

I would also suggest that you get everything working to your satisfaction before you add the complication of basic or enhanced privacy or other advanced options.

GrumpyGuard

Matt - it seems as I am in the same boat as you....except in our case its a Canoe Livery with a ONE CHANNEL Mototrbo system. Our budget is very slim so I have been asked to check out the TYT MD UV380 radio. I know our CC, Slot and TG's...seen a lot of code plugs written for ham radio but you are the only one I have seen preparing to write one for commercial radio LMR DMR. Very interested in your codeplug when its in its completion...something that I can learn from and tweak in the form of the UV 380 just in case the CPS software is indeed different on the newer UHF/VHF combo radios. Would you be willing to email your finished project file once its operational...much appreciated...Tony

I am scheduled to receive the radios on Tuesday 6/12/18. When I verify that the code plug works I will send you a copy.

Matt

GrumpyGuard

Hi Matt -

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your intent, but if you want to have five different DMR "channels" on your ten radios, you'll need to create a digital talk group for each logical channel/group (ie. parking, security, maintenance, etc) that you want to have. Then each of the channels that you create will reflect one of the talk groups that you have created. Remember that, at a minimum, each DMR channel must have a TX frequency, a RX frequency, a talk group (group call), a color code and a time slot. Each radio must also have an individual ID number. SInce you're operating on your own frequency, you can use whatever talkgroup or individual ID numbers that you like.

I would also suggest that you get everything working to your satisfaction before you add the complication of basic or enhanced privacy or other advanced options.

Chief21 here is the way I have the channel information setup for this simplex system
Channel Mode = Digital
Band Width = 12.5kHz
Scan List = None
Channel Name = Security 1
RX Frequency = 451.46250
TX Frequency = 451.46250
Contact = All Call ( all call is in my contact list with an ID of 99)
Admit Criteria = Always
Group List = Security Ops
Color Code = 1
Repeater Slot = 1 (Although this is not used because we are using simplex)
Privacy = Enhanced
Privacy No. = 1

I hope this makes a little more sense.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
That set-up appears to be OK. I just wanted you to be aware that DMR can provide for multiple talk groups on the same frequency. You could have separate talk groups for security, maintenance, parking, administration, and so on. Each of these groups would be private in that they would only be heard by radios set to the same talk group. Of course, if all of the radios will be used for security, you wouldn't necessarily need any more talk groups.

Don't forget about a unique ID number for each radio. I didn't see it on your list.

I would again caution you about getting everything else working as you want before you start playing with the digital security settings. Good luck.

GrumpyGuard

That set-up appears to be OK. I just wanted you to be aware that DMR can provide for multiple talk groups on the same frequency. You could have separate talk groups for security, maintenance, parking, administration, and so on. Each of these groups would be private in that they would only be heard by radios set to the same talk group. Of course, if all of the radios will be used for security, you wouldn't necessarily need any more talk groups.

Chief21,
Thank you for your input. The radios arrived today and they have been programmed. When radio number 2 was programmed I was able to transmit and receive on all 6 channels. Since we aren't using a repeater I can't use both time slots. It's my understanding that I can't use the same frequency with a different color code to allow multiple talkgroups to use the same frequencies.

Don't forget about a unique ID number for each radio. I didn't see it on your list.

Yes, each radio was given a unique name and ID number.

I would again caution you about getting everything else working as you want before you start playing with the digital security settings. Good luck.

When I ensured all was working correctly I added the security settings.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
I don't see why you couldn't use several different talk groups on the same frequency and the same color code. Given the single frequency, you couldn't use the different talk groups at the very same time, but otherwise, I think that you would have the effect of separate (private) channels.

Let us know how it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.