RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 5:05 PM

Default Boafeng GT-3WP programming problems

Hi

I just bought a Boafeng GT-3WP that I want to use as marine VHF in my small boat. I used chirp to program the channels I want, but I cant receive traffic..

Anybody knows this radio? Do I have to change parameters in the menu?

I'm totally new to radio programming so I will be very happy for all help
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2018, 5:10 PM

Definitely not the radio for the job but I'll let everyone else beat that dead horse. Did you happen to program a receive ctcss tone? Also, how are you testing the recieve out? Just by generally listening or do you have another radio to test against?
Old 06-14-2018, 7:32 PM

Thanks for the reply

I got it working now..

BTW: I know this is a cheap China radio, so I only bought it to test if it's worth the 30 bucks
But what will I get if I spend some more on a quality brand?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Yeah that's why I wasn't going to preach about it haha. I use my vertex vx150 on marine channels myself. A handheld will do okay on the water. I usually get a couple miles easily. The biggest deal with using that radio is that it's not FCC part certified for that service. Therefore it's illegal to transmit with it. Will you get caught? Likely not, but the fines can be heavy if you are.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:53 AM

I'm considering buying a pre-programmed VHF handheld from the official Norwegian telecom company, but I just wanna play around with this radio first and see how it is doing..

I have downloaded Chirp and tried program it my self. But there are lots of parameters that confuses me

Not sure if I have done it right..
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2018, 12:26 PM

Do I have to put in Tone mode, Tone, ToneSql, Cross Mode, DTCS code, Rx DTCS code for each channel?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you use Tone/Tone sql, then you don't use DTCS. Their function is the same, with DTCS being digital and tone/tonesql being analog.