• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radioddity RD-5R or Baofeng 2018 V3 DM-5R Receiving above 470 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to program, even if for receive only, frequencies between 470 & 512 MHz. I've looked at the CPS and it appears so, but I was wondering if someone could please try it on an actual radio. That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing one.

I've also contacted all of the eBay sellers and they don't have a clue. One tells me to use CHIRP, which I know is not possible. The rest can't even tell me where to get the CPS.

I believe that both radios are the same.

Thanks,

Rich

wrath

Is it possible to program, even if for receive only, frequencies between 470 & 512 MHz. I've looked at the CPS and it appears so, but I was wondering if someone could please try it on an actual radio. That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing one.

I've also contacted all of the eBay sellers and they don't have a clue. One tells me to use CHIRP, which I know is not possible. The rest can't even tell me where to get the CPS.

I believe that both radios are the same.

Thanks,

Rich
I don't have any of those but the place to get that kind of info is from Jason at grapevine amateur radio ,hes in Texas I think it is and he sells and services as well as owns a DMR repeater ,Google him and give him a call ,he will know I know he's a 4 call I just cant think of his full call sign ,hes a real nice guy and knows DMR and it's radios better then the companies that make them .can't think of prefix but IYZ seems right , but really Google his store and call him ,he's the most intelligent radio reference I know.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
They are very bad, they are horrible when it comes to text on analog, they work fine on dmr part of the time, the 470 and above I have had no luck with the unlock of it, I am about to sell mine cause they are not good to me anymore since it is only dmr, and the Facebook rd5r and radioditty sites are full of people with various issues with them,

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

usswood

They are very bad, they are horrible when it comes to text on analog, they work fine on dmr part of the time, the 470 and above I have had no luck with the unlock of it, I am about to sell mine cause they are not good to me anymore since it is only dmr, and the Facebook rd5r and radioditty sites are full of people with various issues with them,

these have to be programming issues...I have had no issue with my RD-5R since I got it a few months back...works great on DMR and Analog and I haven't had one complaint about my signal or voice OTA... as far as going above 470...I tried manually programming it and it wouldn't accept that freq range....

BTW: several code-plugs are available for the RD-5R now on the web site

Last edited:

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
It looked like you could using the CPS, but I don't have a radio yet to try it out. The CPS took the frequencies, without giving an error message.

Could you please try to program frequencies between 500 & 512 MHz and let me know how you make out? If it works, I'm buying one.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

I finally did get it to work over 470 in the new CPS.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you riccom.

I purchased one on Amazon. After I entered the advanced mode in the CPS, I was able to change the UHF frequency range to 520MHz and it works great. No more open squelch every twenty seconds like the DM-5R & Plus radios. I can listen to DMR and analog (one on A & one on B) and the "Double Wait" works fine. The others didn't do that either.

I wish that there were more channels per zone, but I'm happy with what I have.

I have to figure out why I'm getting the "Scan Fobid" (probably meant to be forbid), when I try to scan.

All in all, I'm very pleased.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Take Care,

Rich

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
riccom,

You really know this thing inside & out. The double wait tip for scanning, saved me pulling out the few hairs that I have left on my head! Thanks again.

That's what I get for printing out and reading the manual cover to cover twice! :)

I have button 1, short press for Scan on/off and button 2, short press for zone selection.

The only thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to switch scan lists at the keypad.

Back to the manual.

Take Care,

Rich

RICH
the scan forbid is cause of the double wait, if that is off then you can scan, IF you have the priority channels set and if scanning all dmr, add a dummy analog channel in there, that will help/

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Third time was the charm. The double wait is on the top, right column of the fourth page from the back (sorry, the pages aren't numbered).

I'm still working on how to change the scan lists, but I just noticed that the Radioddity GD-77 appears to be the same radio, so I'm going to look at the manual and any postings.

Rich

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
For scanning... The following must be right: When you program a CH in, you MUST put it in a scan list on the programming page. You MUST have a scan list set up, and add the CH into it. You must have the wait options set right, as in Single/Double or it will not scan, or you get the Scan Fobid. You do not need a priority CH set, unless you want whatever else your scanning to get interrupted just like on a scanner. You do not have to set Auto Scan on each CH ... As long as you DO have it set in a scan list. With each scan list having 32 CH, and each Zone having 16 CH, you can scan 2 Zones while monitoring only 1, or set up your own mix of up to 32 CH.

Also note: You can mess with your mind if you do not edit your scan lists and make sure that the CH setting for a scan list, and the actual scan list match up...

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
riccom,

You really know this thing inside & out. The double wait tip for scanning, saved me pulling out the few hairs that I have left on my head! Thanks again.

That's what I get for printing out and reading the manual cover to cover twice! :)

I have button 1, short press for Scan on/off and button 2, short press for zone selection.

The only thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to switch scan lists at the keypad.

Back to the manual.

Take Care,

Rich

Menu
scroll using the arrows to scan settings
Menu and so on.

I just use the Zones for scanning as I have each zone set up as a scan list.
Menu
scroll to zone
menu
then scroll to the zone I want.
menu
Once that is selected, press * to begin scanning.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks milf.

I believe that I have the channel programmed properly, but I have attached a screenshot of one to be sure.

Here's what I'm seeing when I try to change the scan list on the radio and how I get to it.

Menu
Scan
2 Scan List

Now this is where I'm having trouble.

It shows Scan List 1/32 for the header

1 Current
2 - 32 is the list of the channels in the current Scan List

This is where I can't figure out how to change the Scan List to anything other than Scan List 1

I am able to scan a zone, using your instructions.

Thanks again,
Rich

Attachments

• Sample Analog Channel.gif
    Sample Analog Channel.gif
    143.5 KB · Views: 650

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I have looked at that also, I will find out and post a video on YouTube soon about it and help others

Thanks riccom.

I've downloaded the CPS for the GD-77, but can't find the password for the advanced mode, so when I try to change the UHF frequency range, it doesn't work. I've even downloaded older versions of the CPS, but there is no mention of the advanced mode password, like the RD-5R. I forgot about Youtube.

I just ran across Roger Clark, who seems to be creating his own CPS to address all of the bugs. He also created a program to extend the frequency range of the GD-77. Here's the link:

https://www.rogerclark.net/extending-the-frequency-range-of-the-gd-77/

His website is really interesting.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Thanks milf.

I believe that I have the channel programmed properly, but I have attached a screenshot of one to be sure.

Here's what I'm seeing when I try to change the scan list on the radio and how I get to it.

Menu
Scan
2 Scan List

Now this is where I'm having trouble.

It shows Scan List 1/32 for the header

1 Current
2 - 32 is the list of the channels in the current Scan List

This is where I can't figure out how to change the Scan List to anything other than Scan List 1

I am able to scan a zone, using your instructions.

Thanks again,
Rich

Firstly, create a Zone in the CPS, and put whatever name you want to it. Create a Scan List and use the same name. Create 16 Channels and assign them all to the Scan List you just created. Now, go back to that Zone, and add all those 16 Channels to it. Go to the Scan List, add those same Channels to it also. Save the Codeplug, and Load it to the radio. Example: In my radio I have a Zone with 2 Meter Ham, a Zone with 70 CM Ham, a Zone that is DMR Ham, a Zone that is Railroads, etc... Each of those Zones is the same in Scan Lists, with each set of 16 Channels assigned to it. I can now go to each Zone I wish to monitor or use, and enable scanning on it. More in a few once I make sure I do this step by step to explain it properly.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Okay, from the menu, the scan option is to edit the current scan list in the zone. It looks like the only way to really do editing of the scan list is in the CPS... SO doing the Zone/Scan List method is actually the best bet for being able to scan the whole codeplug, 1 Zone at a time. Or you will have to make a single Scan List of your fave 32 out of say.. 2 Zones, and then once you select a Zone, scan that list, and assign another 32 set to another Zone. Its all about your priorities. You can also assign 2 Priority CH to Scan Lists if there is a couple of Channels you just have to keep an ear on. For me right now, the Zone as Scan List is best method. YMMV. :)

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks milf.

It looks to me, that you can have:

1 main scan list of 32 channels which you can scan plus 249 zone/scan lists of 16 channels.

I guess they haven't added the capability of scanning other than the main 32 channel scan list yet without using your trick.

I should be able to work with that. I usually just park on two channels and use the double wait feature.

Just trying to wrap my head around it.

Next up; fiddling with the STE settings to remove the annoying tail at the end of transmissions. I'm pretty close to having that working well.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I only have that on Ham and Rail freqs.... If you do find a solution do share as that is the only real issue I have, as well as many others have with this radio.. That old school kick your ear off squelch tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.