RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 9:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Radioddity RD-5R or Baofeng 2018 V3 DM-5R Receiving above 470 MHz

Is it possible to program, even if for receive only, frequencies between 470 & 512 MHz. I've looked at the CPS and it appears so, but I was wondering if someone could please try it on an actual radio. That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing one.

I've also contacted all of the eBay sellers and they don't have a clue. One tells me to use CHIRP, which I know is not possible. The rest can't even tell me where to get the CPS.

I believe that both radios are the same.

Thanks,

Rich
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgchristy View Post
Is it possible to program, even if for receive only, frequencies between 470 & 512 MHz. I've looked at the CPS and it appears so, but I was wondering if someone could please try it on an actual radio. That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing one.

I've also contacted all of the eBay sellers and they don't have a clue. One tells me to use CHIRP, which I know is not possible. The rest can't even tell me where to get the CPS.

I believe that both radios are the same.

Thanks,

Rich
I don't have any of those but the place to get that kind of info is from Jason at grapevine amateur radio ,hes in Texas I think it is and he sells and services as well as owns a DMR repeater ,Google him and give him a call ,he will know I know he's a 4 call I just cant think of his full call sign ,hes a real nice guy and knows DMR and it's radios better then the companies that make them .can't think of prefix but IYZ seems right , but really Google his store and call him ,he's the most intelligent radio reference I know.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2018, 9:41 AM

i have this radio ...is very BAD !!! not buy it !
Old 07-08-2018, 1:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

They are very bad, they are horrible when it comes to text on analog, they work fine on dmr part of the time, the 470 and above I have had no luck with the unlock of it, I am about to sell mine cause they are not good to me anymore since it is only dmr, and the Facebook rd5r and radioditty sites are full of people with various issues with them,

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccom View Post
They are very bad, they are horrible when it comes to text on analog, they work fine on dmr part of the time, the 470 and above I have had no luck with the unlock of it, I am about to sell mine cause they are not good to me anymore since it is only dmr, and the Facebook rd5r and radioditty sites are full of people with various issues with them,

these have to be programming issues...I have had no issue with my RD-5R since I got it a few months back...works great on DMR and Analog and I haven't had one complaint about my signal or voice OTA... as far as going above 470...I tried manually programming it and it wouldn't accept that freq range....

BTW: several code-plugs are available for the RD-5R now on the web site

Last edited by usswood; 07-08-2018 at 1:42 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2018, 6:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I finally did get it to work over 470 in the new CPS.

Old 07-15-2018, 8:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It looked like you could using the CPS, but I don't have a radio yet to try it out. The CPS took the frequencies, without giving an error message.

Could you please try to program frequencies between 500 & 512 MHz and let me know how you make out? If it works, I'm buying one.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccom View Post
I finally did get it to work over 470 in the new CPS.