• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-888s Difference in Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

About a year ago, I bought a BF-888s to have as a small carry-around radio in town and around the house. Anticipating some visiting family friends this summer, I wanted to have two "walkie-talkie" style radios ready to loan in case they asked me (the radio guy) to borrow some. I bought two more from Amazon last week, and the two-pack that arrived seemed like a slightly different build quality than the single one I bought a year ago.

I provided a few pictures as evidence. One radio has a belt clip with a metal backing, and the other has a cheap plastic clip back that will probably break after a few days. The screw holes on the radio are also "plastic vs. metal."

Any thoughts from anyone, or just "typical Chinese junk" and you don't know what you're going to get?

Attachments

• baofeng plastic.jpg
    baofeng plastic.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 274
  • baofeng metal.jpg
    baofeng metal.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 269

k9wkj

i bought a pair of 888s of amazon a few months back
had to return them as they had horrible audio both in and out
and were funky to get programmed
so much unlike the one i bought a bit over a year ago, which has been very good
I use it everyday all day on my AllStar simplex node
i ordered another off ebay and it at least is functional but the battery isnt as good a it should be and it just feels even cheaper!
its a good thing they are not legal to use for anything but amateur radio as we hams are cheap and are getting what we paid for crap

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
There are subtle, but noticeable differences with the one I bought last year, and the pair I bought a week ago. Some are good, like the audio seems to be improved, and the voice announcement and startup is quicker.

The only poor difference is the belt clip. I'm going to look online to see if I can find the metal version of the belt clip. With my original radio, the belt clip actually seems like the strongest part of the whole device.

Status
Not open for further replies.