RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 5:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Anytone AT-D868UV Clock Ticking Sound

I've got this problem with my Anytone AT-D868UV handheld radio. I didn't notice this issue before, and I have done a few firmware upgrades since I purchased it, so I don't know if the sound was introduced in one of those. I did go back one firmware version (1.29) and the sound is still there.

The sound is a ticking sound that is in relation to the colon in the clock on the lcd screen blinking on, then off, so there are two click sounds for every second. It only makes this sound when the squelch is open, and is most apparent when no one is talking on the frequency, just an open sqelch, like when someone opens the repeater but doesn't talk. It may be there when people are talking but I don't notice it.

Thanks
Marc W1MCX
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2018, 7:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

Turn the clock display off. (Really!)
Old 07-06-2018, 7:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwaver View Post
I've got this problem with my Anytone AT-D868UV handheld radio. I didn't notice this issue before, and I have done a few firmware upgrades since I purchased it, so I don't know if the sound was introduced in one of those. I did go back one firmware version (1.29) and the sound is still there.

The sound is a ticking sound that is in relation to the colon in the clock on the lcd screen blinking on, then off, so there are two click sounds for every second. It only makes this sound when the squelch is open, and is most apparent when no one is talking on the frequency, just an open sqelch, like when someone opens the repeater but doesn't talk. It may be there when people are talking but I don't notice it.

Thanks
Marc W1MCX
I can't seem to be able to duplicate your problem on CPS 1.30 & FW 2.30. Just to be clear firmware version 1.29 is for the 1st generation hardware. I'm not sure the results if you cross firmware versions.

Do you have an priority channels turned on. Often ticking or interruptions in the voice heard is the sign of priority channel on. Seeing it synced to the colon I doubt is the source of the problem only a symptom. If it goes away when the clock is off then I am wrong.

Mike

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...
Old 07-06-2018, 3:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscanner View Post
I can't seem to be able to duplicate your problem on CPS 1.30 & FW 2.30. Just to be clear firmware version 1.29 is for the 1st generation hardware. I'm not sure the results if you cross firmware versions.

Do you have an priority channels turned on. Often ticking or interruptions in the voice heard is the sign of priority channel on. Seeing it synced to the colon I doubt is the source of the problem only a symptom. If it goes away when the clock is off then I am wrong.

Mike
I mistook my firmware version, it is 2.29, and was 2.30 before I downgraded. You are correct that it appears to be a symptom, because I now notice that the sound occurs whenever I change the view of the screen while the squelch is open. For instance, if I go to my Menu area and go through the screens while someone is on the repeater, the radio will make a scratching sound each time the screen changes its view.
Old 07-06-2018, 3:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When I first received my Anytone D868, I had a similar "ticking" problem. At that time, if I recall correctly, the workaround was to turn off the clock display. Sometime later a firmware update was issued to address the problem but I never turned the clock display back on since.
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2018, 3:47 PM

Mine has the same issue despite several firmware updates. Now running firmware version 2.30 on latest hardware build. Does not matter whether the clock display is on of off, the issue persists. Could be something beyond a firmware fix but just a guess. Will be nice if it can be addressed with a firmware update.
Old 07-06-2018, 3:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief21 View Post
Turn the clock display off. (Really!)
I turned the Time Display to off, and the noise is still there.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Old 07-07-2018, 8:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Could it be that some low-level signal in the immediate area (computer, router, etc.) is defeating the squelch and enabling the noise? Would adjusting the squelch level help?
Old 07-07-2018, 3:39 PM

Whatever it is, is generated within the radio its self. It's going to have to be a hardware or firmware fix..
Old 07-09-2018, 8:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna_172 View Post
Whatever it is, is generated within the radio its self. It's going to have to be a hardware or firmware fix..
I agree 100%. The noise generated from this radio's display will even interfere with another radio if you position them close enough. Other than this issue which doesn't bother me much
I think this is the best of the cheap Chinese radios on the market so far. The receive audio from the speaker blows away any Uniden portable scanner I've had and I've had them all.
Old 07-10-2018, 7:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot007 View Post
I agree 100%. The noise generated from this radio's display will even interfere with another radio if you position them close enough. Other than this issue which doesn't bother me much
I think this is the best of the cheap Chinese radios on the market so far. The receive audio from the speaker blows away any Uniden portable scanner I've had and I've had them all.
It's obvious that I'm not the only one having this issue. It is a good radio, and until someone else comes out with a dual band dmr that performs as well as this one does, I'll probably hang onto it.
Old 07-20-2018, 6:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I did reach out to the vendor that I purchased it from through Amazon and they were nice enough to offer for me to send it back to them to take a look at it. I purchased it over 6 months ago. I just received another unit back from them, and this one has the same issue. It isn't new in-box but I don't think it was the same one I sent to them. Oh well.