• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-9600 csv Contacts File Upload Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4KF

Every time I try to upload a .csv contact file to the MD-9600 I receive the error "Prompting" and the file will not upload. Anyone else seen this issue?

quantumradio

I see this was posted back a few months, but I think that could be caused by CPS not being able to find a suitable version of Micro$oft Excel on the PC. For reasons beyond my comprehension CPS has this dependency for the Contact Writing/Importing function. I had only older versions of Excel which had a row limit of 65000 and they were not compatible anyway. Not going to spend $$$ for Micro$oft just to load contacts. Contact Manager by N0GSG.com is something I'm evaluating currently but it seems to have the 10,000 limit also, to be confirmed.

w2xq

Mentor
Rather than use Excel, which N0GSG says (within the documentation) mangles CSV files, I would suggest you use LibreOffice Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People that was originally based on OpenOffice. That should eliminate the nonsense.

The N0GSG Contact Manager N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page was updated Nov 4 to v2.64.

I don't know the MD-9600 but my TYT MD-UV380 has either the option to record audio with a limited caoacity for the online DMR databases or the option to disable recording and accept (as I recall) a DMR database record of 6 figures. I have only experimented importing a limited number of records; the N0GSG software has filter importing options.

HTH a bit.

quantumradio

@w2xq - Yes that helps thank you.

Are you saying that TYT CPS will find Libre Office Calc and use that instead of Excel? I actually have Libre Office installed (but may not be latest version) however I always received the infamous "Excel Error" message when importing .CSV contacts in CPS. I tried Open Office as well.

Not sure if the record-disable will help me but I may try that - thanks for the tip.

I may just install a purchased 2013 Excel that I have, that only has an online key access linked to a long lost account (so it's basically worthless). (that was a wasted 4 hours of my life I'll never get back trying to get a key from micro$oft) However it may give me 30 days of use before it locks up. I refuse to purchase it again out of principle. ;)

But if TYT CPS mangles the contacts while importing using Excel then I guess I have a whole new problem. Somehow other people seem to be doing this though so I'm probably making it harder than it is.

Thanks again

w2xq

Mentor
I haven't had any CSV problems in LibreOffice, but I haven't used MS Office (Excel) in 20-25 years. I have opened recent Excel sheets with LibreOffice (now v6.x). LibreOffice has surpassed OpenOffice in its feature set et al. Still freeware, with contributions etc. I would suggest you just grab the latest version (it runs on my old Win7 Asus eee-PC netbook without any problem) and forgo the 2013 Excel. LibreOffice will still open my 1990s-era MS Office Word and Excel files on the few occasions I looked at tax and stock spreadsheets and docs.

If I understand you correctly, at least with the CPS software I have one has to navigate to the drive/folder containing the CSV file. The CPS won't "find" the CSV file.

Before all that effort, though, I thought the N0GSG software would directly retrieve and import the two online DMR ID databases... without any intermediate steps. At least it does on my HT.

As alway, YMMV. I don't know the MD-9600. HTH a bit.

quantumradio

Got it working... here's what I found for any others searching...

The "Prompting" message seems to be due to Excel generating some sort of error message that is waiting for user response. I found I could just click "OK" on the Prompting message and the selected contacts.csv file would import. (Although there is no further indication of whether it succeeded of failed). I just waited a minute.
TYT CPS 1.26 (and probably previous ver) really do need M$ Excel 2013 or later to work- trust me I tried a lot of other things.

I then connected the USB to the MD-9600 and hit the "Write" button in that same Write Contacts popup window. For this I then got a progress bar and it took around 4 minutes to complete. Then (very important) one must get into Radio Settings and find the "Contacts.csv" menu item and select/turn it on.
The contacts.csv file needs to be comma delimited with the following fields:

Radio ID | Callsign | Full Name | Nickname | City | State | Country

I had to create the Nickname column, but I put no entries in it.
I also eliminated the header row because I suspect it eats up one of the contact slots in the radio's memory.
You will have to edit with Libreoffice Calc (free) somewhat to get the output from DMR-Marc or RadioID.net to conform to this. You'll need to trim the total number of contacts (I believe) to 90,000 or less, because 10,000 records are in the Main Codeplug Memory.
Per Tom's (of N0GSG Contact Manager fame) suggestion, I stripped the Callsign contacts out of the Codeplug Memory/File, and just use that for Group/Talk Group info. It makes things SO much easier to manage. Then use Contact Manager (I highly recommend this to make life easier- it supports several different radios) just for managing Channels and Groups. (great for mildly OCD folks such as myself who prefer things to be in the proper order).

After I sent the modified Codeplug that was outputted from Contact Manager, I found I had to go back into the Radio Settings and re-enable contacts.csv

That's about it in a convoluted nutshell.

Thanks for the helpful pointers

73s

AB9DK

I started to program a MD 9600 I got a couple of weeks ago. Updated the firmware and put a code plug into it but can't get it to import the user csv. First I got the excel error so I put excel on and that went away. Not I get "call was rejected by callee" error. I reloaded the firmware and also checked everything else I could think of with no change. Any ideas?? I know this is an older thread but thought I would try.
Thanks

quantumradio

Hi I haven't seen that error. Does it occur when keying up/transmitting to a particular repeater? If so look at the color code. An incorrect color code might cause that.

AB9DK

I get it when I try to import the csv file in the cps. I have tried a bunch of different ones and get the same error and it won't import the contacts. Don't know if there is something wrong with the file or if something isn't set up right or what. I tried to use the contact manager program but it would only import a little over 9800 contacts.

AB9DK

Is there anything else you need to do in settings to accept 100,000 contacts after updating the firmware? Contact manager will only let me do 10,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.