• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dm5r programming for scanner use only need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgevans

I have a real dmr radio that i was having issues with trying to receive all conversations. It would hear people talk and then miss their second reply. I found the setting for that radio. Now im trying to get the dm5r programmed with the software. Of course the setting have different names then my other radio. Does anyone know how to get all conversations with dm5r? Im only using it as a scanner not for repeaters. This pertains to dmr not analog reception. I have the cc, group, correct but there seems to be a timing issue. All transmissions are tier1.

Last edited:

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
We need to know what version of DM-5R you have.

Version 1 DM-5R, Ver 2 DM-5R Plus or Ver 3 DM-5R with 1024 channels.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
One timing issue not fixable is the speed the radio will scan. Compared to a purpose built scanner handheld transceivers are turtle like getting from one programmed channel to the next. Thats one reason for missing parts of conversation, getting to the next signal.

Another issue which is fixable is how does the radio know when to continue scanning. I'm not sure if your radio address this per channel or scan function which would applied to all channels.

In general to resume scanning they are,
1. Loss of carrier, immediately resume
2. Hold on carrier for ?? seconds then resume (possible that conversation will be cutoff if long winded talker)
3. Hold on channel for ?? seconds after carrier is loss then resume.

Option 3 will allow you to hear both side of the conversation allowing for the 1-3 second transition from one talker to the other.

I hope that helps.
Mike

Jgevans

The first version and the PLUS but i think they all use the same software. This is a programming setting probably in the software. There are some settings in the main radio section but i dont know what they do, there is no manual for the software. This monitoring issue relates to only one frequency. Multiple people using frequency only every other conversation heard it is a timing issue or something. On my other dmr radio i fixed this issue by turning on slot suit (whatever that is) and ent type (whatever that is) i have no documentation because neither radio has any. Both of those settings were under channel menu.

Last edited:

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Here's the link for the user manual, programming software and password:

Baofeng DM-5R: Manuals and Software | QRZ Now – Amateur Radio News

First I create the contact (Group ID).
Then create the group list and add the contact to it.
Then create the channel. You'll need to know the slot, color code and contact (which you created above).

Here's the link to the thread that has printscreens of one of my DMR channels.

https://forums.radioreference.com/b...dm5r-plus-programming-help-advice-needed.html

The thread also has some programming tips.

Check it out and let us know if that helps.

Take Care,

Rich

Jgevans

Thanks for your reply, i have it set similar to the screen shot. Im only trying to monitor a talk group. I had to ask baoefeng to check into it. This is timming issue that does not allow all of a conversation to be heard. It may be the vocoder issue, but i wanted to check before i quit. If it is an issue with the vocoder no way to fix it. I was hoping the vocoder issue was only effecting repeater transmission but it looks like it may effect reception on tier 1 as well. I had the same issue with 2 other brands but hey had settings like tdma on, and slot suit on that fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.