RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2018, 8:38 PM

Default Can't change TX freq on a baofeng uv-5r

Hello All,
Long time reader, first time poster. Here goes......

Our Ranch uses several Motorola CP200's. We recently purchased a few UV-5R's as we needed more radios but as a nonprofit budget is always an issue. Using a frequency counter I got the freq's of all the channels we use. No repeater involved. I have both CHIRP and the OEM software. The radio's we have now receive and transmit on different channels. I loaded in all the Rx frequencies and can receive no problem however everytime I try to change the Tx frequency it just goes back to the Rx one???? I can not for the life of me find anyone else having this issue.

I am not a HAM operator nor am I a radio expert, just a Ranch Manager trying to get new radios operational.

Thank you in advance to the person that points me in the right direction, and apologies if I posted this in the wrong spot

Last edited by KindnessRanch; 09-19-2018 at 9:14 PM.. Reason: addition
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2018, 9:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If the TX frequency is different than the RX, there's probably a repeater in the mix somewhere that you don't know about. Just having the frequency probably won't help you, as there is probably a PL/DPL code (subaudible tone) in use as well. Without that code, it will receive your CP200s fine, but your CP200s wont be able to hear the UV-5R.

It should also be worth noting that the UV-5R is not type accepted for use on Part 90 (commercial) frequencies, so you may have a hard time getting any help.

Administrator: Firepics-THE Place for fire photographers
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You probably have the offset ( + - ) entered and active.
Make sure the offset is set to "None" and it should be fine.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

Are you attempting to change the frequency via the keypad or via the software? I seem to recall that a memorized channel cannot be changed from the keypad on a UV-5R. The channel might need to be deleted and re-programmed, or changed in the software and re-loaded.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can program the channels with the keyboard. The channel MUST BE deleted before you can enter another frequency on that channel. The following site may help and there are lots more online https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog...he_keypad.html
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief21 View Post
Are you attempting to change the frequency via the keypad or via the software? I seem to recall that a memorized channel cannot be changed from the keypad on a UV-5R. The channel might need to be deleted and re-programmed, or changed in the software and re-loaded.
I plugged in the radio. Uploaded from radio. Deleted all preloaded channels and attempted to write in the channels I wanted.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do I understand that you loaded the initial frequencies from the radio to the software, and then changed the frequencies in the software (successfully?), and then loaded the resulting (new) software file back to the radio? What was the result?

And (I'm just trying to understand) if your radios don't use a repeater, why would the channels in the Motorolas have different TX and RX frequencies? How confident are you that the frequency counter approach is accurate?

Last edited by chief21; 09-21-2018 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Do I understand that you loaded the initial frequencies from the radio to the software, and then changed the frequencies in the software (successfully?), and then loaded the resulting (new) software file back to the radio? What was the result?

And (I'm just trying to understand) if your radios don't use a repeater, why would the channels in the Motorolas have different TX and RX frequencies? How confident are you that the frequency counter approach is accurate?
The counter is brand new. Not being a radio expert, I wouldn't even begin to know how to verify it's accuracy. I download anything I put in the software back to the radio without issue. The problem is the software won't let me change the tx freq.
Old 09-21-2018, 5:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just downloaded the current version of CHIRP. The RX frequency goes in the Frequency column, but tthere is no column per se for the TX frequency. The TX frequency is entered in the Duplex column where the drop down choices are... None (meaning simplex), - (meaning negative offset), + (meaning positive offset), Split (meaning an odd offset), and Off (meaning no TX).

I'm still not clear on the TX and Rx frequencies not being the same for any given channel. If you can give me an example of the frequencies you have found in the other radios, I can give you some suggestions as to what to enter where in CHIRP.
Old 09-29-2018, 4:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindnessRanch View Post
Hello All,
Long time reader, first time poster. Here goes......

Our Ranch uses several Motorola CP200's. We recently purchased a few UV-5R's as we needed more radios but as a nonprofit budget is always an issue. Using a frequency counter I got the freq's of all the channels we use. No repeater involved. I have both CHIRP and the OEM software. The radio's we have now receive and transmit on different channels. I loaded in all the Rx frequencies and can receive no problem however everytime I try to change the Tx frequency it just goes back to the Rx one???? I can not for the life of me find anyone else having this issue.

I am not a HAM operator nor am I a radio expert, just a Ranch Manager trying to get new radios operational.

Thank you in advance to the person that points me in the right direction, and apologies if I posted this in the wrong spot
Its called simplex when you transmit and recieve on same frequency. If your cp200s are like most Motorolas they transmit and recieve on different frequencies and use digital tone squelch
. To program a uv5r to talk to them you need both transmit and recieve frequencies then set the radio to split and put the transmit frequency in chirp. I have three uv5r radios
I modified them for 127-178 and -382-566mzh transmit and recieve also easy to do.
Old 09-30-2018, 6:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetmall View Post
<snip> If your cp200s are like most Motorolas they transmit and recieve on different frequencies and use digital tone squelch. <snip>
If no repeater is in use and the above is true, can you explain how "most Motorola's" working in a group could hear one another? (Give it some thought before you answer.)
Old 09-30-2018, 6:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
If no repeater is in use and the above is true, can you explain how "most Motorola's" working in a group could hear one another? (Give it some thought before you answer.)
It was an error on the frequency counter. .8124 vs. .8125 Not being as familiar with radios as we are, he didn't realize that it was within an acceptable deviation.

Administrator: Firepics-THE Place for fire photographers