• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio progrmming

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallitera

i know all radio systems are different, but im gettin a Puxing PX-777 PLUS for a backup to my FD one, its UHF.

What my question is, i noticed that the RX&TX freqs are different(one is for repeater), so for the talk about channels, do you use the non-repeater frequency?

and what are the tones? what happens is i dont program them in?

K2GOG

i have not had a chance yet to get one of those chinese radios yet, but usually if you are using a simplex channel (same RX as TX) you can program in the same for both. Other times, you may have select duplex and put in an offset if they dont give an option for TX and RX.

Regarding the tones, if you dont put in a tone, you can receive whatever is being heard on that freq, but if you are using this to transmit, i doubt anyone woudl hear you since you are not TX'ing a tone. Your radio tech shoudl be able to give you this info adn you can program it yourself or have them do it.

Can you take a screen capture of the software so I can see what options you have?

metallitera

havent had a chance to use it yet, as i downloaded it free from the site and ordered the radio today. i dont see where i can enter text tags for the channels, so im gonna try & program the channels myself on the radio with the keypad, but will prolly get the cable anyway. i program my scanner with the software and like it alot better, bein able to save different channel banks and change em out every so often very easily.

The tone choices are drop down boxes.

RX Tone has OFF, 67.0, 69.3, 71.9, 74.4 and it goes on like that, then to Do23N and a whole list of codes that start with D and have numbers & letters.

TX Tone has what looks to be the same thing.

here are some screen shots, let me know if you want more:

I'm assuming that the talk around channels are done by entering the freq in the TX side, instead of the reperater, and transmitting as low power?

what about busylock, PTTID, opt signal, and wide narrow?

also, do i need to put it anything for the RX tone? or the same thing for RX&TX tone?

n4voxgill

Silent Key
you may want to stay away from your department radio technician. Many of the new chineese radios are not FCC type accepted and illegal to use in the United States.

RolnCode3

Talkaround can be set by making the Tx and Rx frequencies the same. Just make sure the Tx tone is the same as the Rx tone. I believe that the power setting would be based on your FCC license...you'd have to find out the power of the radio and what your license will allow.

metallitera

n4voxgill said:
you may want to stay away from your department radio technician. Many of the new chineese radios are not FCC type accepted and illegal to use in the United States.

The model i bought is FCC liscensed, i looked at numerous models, and it seems to be the only chinese radio that is.

RolnCode3 said:
Talkaround can be set by making the Tx and Rx frequencies the same. Just make sure the Tx tone is the same as the Rx tone. I believe that the power setting would be based on your FCC license...you'd have to find out the power of the radio and what your license will allow.

power setting is 1w & 4w. i read on another post that if i dont have the TX tone that no one will be able to hear me, if i dont set the RX tone, will i be able to hear everyone else?

RolnCode3

metallitera said:
The model i bought is FCC liscensed, i looked at numerous models, and it seems to be the only chinese radio that is.

power setting is 1w & 4w. i read on another post that if i dont have the TX tone that no one will be able to hear me, if i dont set the RX tone, will i be able to hear everyone else?
Correct. If you don't set the Tx tone you will not open squelch on everyone else's radios (or the repeaters if they require them when not in simplex mode).

If you do not set the Rx, you WILL hear everyone else. You will also hear any other agencies that use the same frequency (if there are any) but a different tone. Basically, you will receive ALL transmissions on that frequency regardless of tone. You may have to adjust the squelch (may show as CSQ) setting so you're not always hearing static when there's nobody transmitting.

PTTID transmits a signal that shows what radio is transmitting. Not sure what equipment is needed to see that code, but I would set it to off. The Opt Signal is DTMF (sounds like a phone dialing) and FSK (dunno anything about that). You would have to talk to the radio guys to know if you need this or not. It's an alternative way of signalling.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Busylock means:

Carrier - cannot transmit if radio is receiving a signal
QT/DQT - cannot transmit if radio is receiving a signal which matches the programmed tone
Close - no restriction on transmitting

metallitera

well I got the radio and i threw a few frequencies in there and i cant receive anything. the signal strength indicator lights up but the radio is silent. i tried changing the tones to off and still nothing, messed with squelch also.

the monitor button opens the speaker up and the radio beeps when keys are pressed, so the speaker is working, just not playing radio signals.

[EDIT]
I got home and uploaded the frequencies from the software and it seems to be working. just a couple of the frequencies listed in the database for FD's are PD's.

I'll give ya'll a report of how the radio performs since it seems not many ppl have one of these foreign ones.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

auxscan

havent had a chance to use it yet, as i downloaded it free from the site and ordered the radio today. i dont see where i can enter text tags for the channels, so im gonna try & program the channels myself on the radio with the keypad, but will prolly get the cable anyway. i program my scanner with the software and like it alot better, bein able to save different channel banks and change em out every so often very easily.

The tone choices are drop down boxes.

RX Tone has OFF, 67.0, 69.3, 71.9, 74.4 and it goes on like that, then to Do23N and a whole list of codes that start with D and have numbers & letters.

TX Tone has what looks to be the same thing.

here are some screen shots, let me know if you want more:

I'm assuming that the talk around channels are done by entering the freq in the TX side, instead of the reperater, and transmitting as low power?

what about busylock, PTTID, opt signal, and wide narrow?

also, do i need to put it anything for the RX tone? or the same thing for RX&TX tone?

check the pl on the radio itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.