• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Puxing FCC acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0npw

Can anyone put to rest the Puxing controversy? I have turned the net upside down and have visited more message forums than you can shake a stick at, and am still confused as to whether or not the Puxing PX-777+ has part 90 acceptance. I talked to Infinity today, and they told me that their model is accepted, but that Puxing does not sell ANY radios that are considered accepted in the US. This is weird, because when I did a search, I found Puxing on the FCC website with an ID number of UBYQZPUXING02. Infinity's radio has an FCC ID of ULXQZPUXING02. What gives?

The specs are identical on both units, and they look exactly the same. The only difference is, you can buy the Puxing from China for about $90 with shipping, and the Infinity can be purchased here in the US for twice that.

Kenny

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Both of those FCC ID numbers are for the PX-777/P-777, the VHF version of this unit. The Id's specify high band only, and that's what the manuals provided for the radios to the FCC show, as well.

The UHF version is the PX-777 Plus/P-777 Plus.

There is no FCC ID in the system for the UHF version, and it is therefore presumed to be NOT certified in any way for Part 90 or any other USA use besides Ham radio. (Assuming it's Part 15 ok'ed)

kb0npw

Vhf

Actually, they make a VHF version and UHF version of the PX-777+.

I have really done some serious digging the past few days, and actually ended up calling the FCC about this issue. I have been informed that the radios are accepted, whether they come from Puxing or Infinity. Infinity is basically importing them, slapping their FCC ID sticker on them, and doubling their money. Now, that's capitalism!

They don't have an accepted UHF version for US use, but I am wanting VHF anyway.

in99oh03

If the radio is 150-174 per the FCC ID, how come they are listed as 136-174 on Ebay?

N

N_Jay

Maybe because there are no part 90 frequencies between 136 and 150?

in99oh03

Is it safe to say the PX-777 is safe to use in ham and business VHF? It would appear so.

N

N_Jay

Hard to say.

It may still be (technically) illegal to import, since the manufacturer has not applied the label to those units.

It is fine on ham once it is here.

in99oh03

I just found a US dealer, in California, that sells them (Argent Data Systems). I am still thinking that the radio isn't still quite legal. For them to sell them, wouldn't they have to be legal for US sale and use?

N

N_Jay

I just found a US dealer, in California, that sells them (Argent Data Systems). I am still thinking that the radio isn't still quite legal. For them to sell them, wouldn't they have to be legal for US sale and use?

I would think so.
Are they selling them with labels attached?

Are they selling the UHF version also?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I would think so.
Are they selling them with labels attached?

Are they selling the UHF version also?

for once I agree with N_Jay.

even to mass produce ham gear intended for sale in the US, the receiver must meet part 15 certification, IIRC part 97 allows us to build our own receivers and no certification needed UNLESS we make more than 10, or sell them commercially.

I've never been impressed with any of the Chinese radios. Some hams sing the praises of them, they think they are getting such a good "deal" buying them off Ebay for 60-80 bucks shipped. Those radios sell for 20 bucks all day long on the streets of Hong Kong. The quality of them is so subpar, I wouldn't give one to a high school janitor. The thought of those being used in any public service makes me cringe (even more so than P25 on the fireground...sorry had to say that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.