Building portable discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

doogman23

I am looking into building a portable discone using the basic designs of the copper funnel and disk that is floating around.

My question is this. Would this size discone get good reception indoors? Anyone using these little ones indoors? I am building an outdoor stationary similiar to the Diamond but would like to build a smaller one for indoors to use temporarily until the larger one is done.

Thanks

Keith

N

N_Jay

doogman23 said:
I am looking into building a portable discone using the basic designs of the copper funnel and disk that is floating around.

My question is this. Would this size discone get good reception indoors? Anyone using these little ones indoors? I am building an outdoor stationary similiar to the Diamond but would like to build a smaller one for indoors to use temporarily until the larger one is done.

Thanks

Keith

The size is directly related to the frequency band the antenna is tuned for.

A discone is truly only designed for a 3X or 4X range from it's lower design frequency.

Some people put a radial on top of the discone to improve reception below the frequency range of the discone.

Most of the scanner discones have published bandwiths that are more closely related to common scanner bands then any true atribut of teh antenna.

Do a google on discone design and you will find all the information you need.

TeRayCodA

I've always thought of making one that would have "umbrella" type fold-up action,but,could never get the "mechanics" of it in my mind down on paper.
-Kinda like a "travellers"type antenna,or real handy for field day.
Hmm..

doogman23

tripod portable

Yep, like a tripodded portable type. I dunno, I may just build a yagi cut for center of the milscanning band...which is what I am mainly interested in anyway. Decisions...decisions...

Keith

LarrySC

Supply stores have chassy mount SO-239's that match PL-259's. Turn the
239 upside down and in the center pin solder a piece of copper. You can build any type of antenna mounted on the copper pin. Use the four holes in the mount for ground elements.

MacombMonitor

Re: tripod portable

doogman23 said:
Yep, like a tripodded portable type. I dunno, I may just build a yagi cut for center of the milscanning band...which is what I am mainly interested in anyway. Decisions...decisions...

Keith

Here's a nice solution! It's about the size of a sheet of paper. A little pricey though...

WiNRADiO AX-31B Planar Log-Periodic Antenna

http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT4.html

I played around with one of these last year, in my house, pointing it toward Selfridge Air Base, in Mt. Clemens, MI. It brought in some signals I was unable to receive using the stock antenna.

scanrrman

I like the looks of this antenna. Does anyone know or think this would be a good buy or would I be wasting money on one of these things? The range say 230 to 1600MHz but will it still get freq's at 155.0 or freq's lower than that? For someone looking for just one nice antenna to increase my receiving at home, would this be a good way to go or is there anything better/cheaper? Thanks

Al42

Most of the "advantage" in this antenna is in the amplifier, not in the antenna. You can get a nice 25-1200 MHz, 20db gain amplifier for the same price or less (didn't GRE used to make one?) and have the same advantage across the entire scanning range - without the worry of having to turn a directional antenna, which this is.

MacombMonitor

Al42 said:
Most of the "advantage" in this antenna is in the amplifier, not in the antenna. You can get a nice 25-1200 MHz, 20db gain amplifier for the same price or less (didn't GRE used to make one?) and have the same advantage across the entire scanning range - without the worry of having to turn a directional antenna, which this is.

The directional propertie is a feature, not a fault. It can give moderate gain in one direction, while also providing rejection off the back, and somewhat off the sides, which can help pull weak signals out, that would otherwise be washed out from interference. Being small, and portable, it's not like you would need a rotor. I had mine mounted on a camera tripod.

GRE still makes the Super Amp Handheld @ $59.99. They did discontinue the desk/base model however. Here is the link for their site:

http://www.greamerica.com/shop/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi

Status
Not open for further replies.