Attic With Radiant Barrier - TX/RX Question Attic Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I hope this section is OK for posting as I didn't really see one that fit. I want to install one of the twin wire lead horizontal CB antennas (17' long total) in the attic of my home. I belong to a SNOOTY home owners association (yeah, dumb, I know) that frowns on antennas so for something big enough for CB I have to go to the attic, unless I put some small vertical antenna on my porch which seems like a pretty ineffective solution.

Now, here is the problem...

Being of newer "energy efficient" design the home uses a "radiant barrier" on the bottom side of the roof sheeting. I cannot testify as to what the thickness of the material or to exactly what it is, but I would think it is metallic. Only on two small sides is the roof a "gable end" which this wouldn't have the stuff. In MOST directions, the signal woud have to travel through this stuff (assuming it would - I don't know thus the question). How much trouble is this stuff likely to cause in this frequency range? I am guessing that at certain frequency ranges it would cause huge problems, where in other areas of the spectrum it wouldn't, I just don't know which is which. Would it still likely be better than a 48" "porch antenna" on my porch?

W2PMX

A horizontal antenna on CB is already giving you about 10db loss, so the 48" vertical antenna on your porch is probably going to be just as good. Add the radiant barrier to the attic antenna and the porch antenna will probably be better. (CB is vertical, and cross polarization costs you about 10db.)

Status
Not open for further replies.