OK Newbie that want to build an antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeditch

Premium Subscriber
I live up in the foothills right beside Lake Oroville in California. I was hoping to build my own antenna, but honestly I am lost. As you can see in Butte County the frequencies range from 153 to 463 with CHP at 42.2600. 44.7000 and then 3 at 769.xxxx & 773.xxxx. We are at about 1200 feet ASL here. My reception isn't to bad, but I am sure it could be a lot better. I was think a J-Pole, but what I think I am seeing on the calculators is you build it for a certain Freq. or am I wrong. Is there a sort of "All Around" antenna that would handle all of these?

bdeditch

Premium Subscriber
The problem you have is that you need a WIDE range of frequencies. I have built an Off Center Fed Dipole (OCFD), which gives me coverage from low band up to 700 MHz. You can find my thread about the build here. ---> http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...67-my-homemade-off-center-dipole-antenna.html

I have been doing some research and I think I am going to make out 3/4 copper. Do you think that is to much, or should I just stick with the 1/2 inch? And did you paint it? Al;so was there a certian type of copper piping you used?

Last edited:

dmg1969

Many people in here have made one. I just went off of the design in the wiki. I used the standard 1/2 inch copper pipe you would buy at Lowes or Home Depot to run water line. I believe I recall seeing that people have used 3/4. I don't know that it would make that much of a difference in reception. I did not paint mine.

One thing to add. When attaching the leads of the balun, attach them to the screws in the T fitting. I drilled two separate holds and mounted them to screws in those holes. I have been told I should have used the screws securing the PVC T fitting. I would assuming that the difference is so minute so as not to matter, but you should do it the proper way. And I honestly have no idea why I did that. Maybe I glanced at the instructions and misunderstood or was think at the time that it would have a better connection the the copper and not rely on just the screw connecting to the copper through the PVC. At any rate, it receives just fine.

Post pics of the finished product.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The greater the diameter of the antenna is supposed to increase the usable bandwidth of the OCFD. So it would seem that 3/4 inch pipe would be better than 1/2 inch. Could that be measured / noticed in the performance of an antenna used with a scanner receiver? I doubt it. The OCFD is already a very broad frequency coverage antenna, and does exhibit some gain in its "sweet spots". But enough to notice the difference in your usual scanner operation? I say use whatever pipe you have.

bdeditch

Premium Subscriber
Many people in here have made one. I just went off of the design in the wiki. I used the standard 1/2 inch copper pipe you would buy at Lowes or Home Depot to run water line. I believe I recall seeing that people have used 3/4. I don't know that it would make that much of a difference in reception. I did not paint mine.

One thing to add. When attaching the leads of the balun, attach them to the screws in the T fitting. I drilled two separate holds and mounted them to screws in those holes. I have been told I should have used the screws securing the PVC T fitting. I would assuming that the difference is so minute so as not to matter, but you should do it the proper way. And I honestly have no idea why I did that. Maybe I glanced at the instructions and misunderstood or was think at the time that it would have a better connection the the copper and not rely on just the screw connecting to the copper through the PVC. At any rate, it receives just fine.

I am going to go with 1/2 inch. One thing I did not see mentioned in your instructions, but remembered seeing it some other place, is using CVPC fittings. I am just waiting for the baluns to come in and I am set to go. I will try the screws in the CVPC fittings to mount the connections on.

bdeditch

Premium Subscriber
The greater the diameter of the antenna is supposed to increase the usable bandwidth of the OCFD. So it would seem that 3/4 inch pipe would be better than 1/2 inch. Could that be measured / noticed in the performance of an antenna used with a scanner receiver? I doubt it. The OCFD is already a very broad frequency coverage antenna, and does exhibit some gain in its "sweet spots". But enough to notice the difference in your usual scanner operation? I say use whatever pipe you have.

Thank you.

bdeditch

Premium Subscriber

OK how did you attach this outside. C Clamps and using the extra piece of CVPC tubing? Does the 48 inch piece point down? I an concerned that the short piece of the CVPC pipe would not handle the weight, could I used a piece of copper tubing instead?

dmg1969

Mine is in the attic, so it is just leaning on an angle (I have limited room up there) and the performance seems good. Ideally, it should be totally verticle with the 4' section at the bottom.

bdeditch

Premium Subscriber
In order to stiffen up the cvpc pipe coming off the tee, I found that 7/16 wooden dowel fits nice. Just a little play but not much.

dmg1969

Yes, I would have used something more rigid for the right angle arm if I had intended to mount it outside. Since it's just propped up in the attic, I just used some cheap PVC I had laying around to mount the balun.

Status
Not open for further replies.