Can I use these BNC connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

I have a some of these BNC connectors and I was wondering if they were suitable to use to terminate a receive only scanner antenna.

Can I use these BNC connectors on the end of a homemade coax cable antenna? Just put the solid wire in the + and the outer wire in the -?

001_zpsmgfjchbw.jpg

002_zpskn8vcisv.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those adapters have a built in impedance matching transformer designed for changing the characteristic 100Ω impedance of twisted pair wire (think category 5 data network cabling) to the 75Ω impedance of video coax (think RG-59). These are often used as a cheap and dirty way for running video cameras over existing data network cabling.
Might work find for what you are doing if you have these already, wouldn't hurt to give them a try. Scanners are not super picky about the antenna impedance. It isn't going to hurt to give it a try.

But, you'll find that a properly installed connector that is designed to match your coaxial cable will give you a lot less trouble in the long run.

Circa

I finally got around to making one using those connectors and it works.

I also could pick up the local Public Service band and 700/800mhz trunking clearly using only the connector, no wire or anything else.

Sent using Tapatalk.

wtp

i would indicate

that the transmitter is close, try to receive with even that disconnected and see shat happens.
that is how I find a really close transmitter.
in town I was trying to find the sheriffs department towers and just drove with the antenna out and found them. I had a 90 degree bnc connector only and could hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.