1/4 wave ground plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

brizzotheizzo

I'm building a 1/4 wave ground plane centered on 120mhz. All of the antenna calculators that I have used do not take into account velocity factor of feed cable. I'm using 15 foot of feet cable with the velocity factor of 80%. Should I go ahead and shorten my 1/4 wave results from my calculator by 20% to account for vf ?

brizzotheizzo

I guess I was confusing factoring velocity factor for a collinear antenna made of coax last with with my current project of the 1/4 wave ground plane. Thanks.

I understand that the feed line will no be an issue in terms of vF and antenna wavelength, but what about the copper wire actually used in the antenna? Bare copper wire has a velocity factor of 96%. This makes about an inch for 1/4 wave length at 120mhz. Should I cut an inch off the antenna length?

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The common formula for a 1/4 wave of 234/(frequency in MHZ=length in feet actually includes a velocity factor of 95%-close enough to most materials used for antenna building. After you build a few, you quickly find that the effect of nearby objects and other factors make the formula a starting point -a little trimming (and checking with an analyzer) is the finial step.

Status
Not open for further replies.