Help with antenna construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I want to use two old car antennas from a junk yard or two telescoping BNCs (pictured) to mount on my laptop lid to try to gain some signal from WiFi as the network adapter wires run UP to the top of the lid . I am having trouble trying to mound the antennas on the lid using a clip. The lid is just too thick. Any ideas and any way to keep from scratching anything or keep them from falling? Any ideas!?! Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600[6].jpg
    s-l1600[6].jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
None of those will work. WiFi is 2.4GHz, and those antennas are designed for completely different frequencies. You will not improve performance, and may damage your laptop.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, there are a lot of suitable 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz antenna out there. These ain't them.

Cantennas work well as a directional antenna. You can pick up antennas designed for home WiFi routers pretty easily. Only trouble with those is that they often have odd reverse polarity connectors. Finding a complete/used WiFi router would allow you to salvage the connectors and antennas pretty easily.

Or, just get a cheap USB WiFi module with antenna off e-Bay for less than $20: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Band-...116927?hash=item2cc6ef0fbf:g:jxgAAOSwEEBaCvtO

That way you don't have to modify your laptop, and can experiment with different antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.