RCA ANT751 Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddyjohn

I am no longer using this for my TV and I was wondering how well it might do for my Scanner. I mainly listen to 150-162 mhz and 700-800 mhz. I have tried to find the exact specifications for this antenna but haven't found any information about what it might be tuned to specifically, just that it receives HDTV/UHF/VHF. Here is a link to it on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-...ie=UTF8&qid=1518670597&sr=8-1&keywords=ant751

Ubbe

The 4 largest elements are for 175-220MHz but will work for lower frequencies.
The 4 small elements at the front are 470-800MHz and you could cut those to 7 inches tip to tip to tune them more to 800MHz.
Use the antenna vertical and if most transmitters are in its direction it will work better than a ST-2 on your frequencies.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
UHF TV goes to 870MHz, so the antenna shouldn't require any trimming to work well. The main things to understand are that it is directional, and will only receive well in the direction it is pointed, and the elements need to be mounted vertically.

ipfd320

Banned
The Best Way is to Just Try It and You Can Actually See what Bands This will Pick Up---There is Alot of Talk On the Forums About Whats Right and Wrong--Losses and What Not---I Used an Old TV Antenna with a Rotor and the Darn Old Thing Worked on All the Bands from Low to 800 on Multi Scanners Off 3 Splitters ---Like I Say Just Go for It Whats the Worse that Can Happen

daddyjohn

So I just need to flip it on it's side because of the polarization, so the elements are going up and down and not flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

lmrtek

Just flip it to vertical polarity and it should work fine as is.
Not optimal on VHF but easily cover 470-900mhz
There are in fact companies marketing tv antennas as scanner antennas at a MUCH high price.

daddyjohn

Drilled rivet out of mounting bracket and flipped it. Does the mount need to be isolated from the metal mast or is that not critical on receiving only?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

prcguy

Yes, but the scanner antennas that look like TV antennas are tuned to the public service bands instead of the TV channels. There is also a very small market for scanner antennas compared to TV antennas, so naturally the price would be more due to mfg costs.
prcguy

QUOTE=MOTEX;2888438]Just flip it to vertical polarity and it should work fine as is.
There are in fact companies marketing tv antennas as scanner antennas at a MUCH high price.
.....[/QUOTE]

cmdrwill

Just flip it to vertical polarity and it should work fine as is.

TV does not go to 800 or 900 anymore and they just took some more TV channels away for Public Service in 700 'band'.

Status
Not open for further replies.