Antenna radial insulator blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonian149

Does anyone have a source for the plastic insulator blocks similar to the green one in this photo? I want to build a yagi for 162mhz and really need something like this. I could use wood, but I would prefer to use plastic.

AIS_AntennaInsulatorDetail.jpg

Last edited:

k9wkj

the only element that must be insulated on a yagi is the driven (and not even that if its fed in such a way)
the rest can be mounted directly to/through the boom
youll have to cut them a bit different

zonian149

Do you have a link to any information about installing the driven element through the boom. I have been googling and couldn't find anything about that. Thanks--Gary

majoco

Stirrer
I just happened to have a 4' piece of aluminum tubing
Ideal - I have scrounged/salvaged old low and mid band TV antennas now that all our FTA TV is on UHF. They have all the boom and driven element insulators you could wish for and often come with a small terminal box for the balun.

zonian149

Thanks for the link jwt873. Martin, I had an old TV antenna 5 years ago, and I got tired of storing it in my garage, so I put it on the curb, and I am now mad at myself, never throw anything away!!!!!!

k9wkj

a yagi is just a array of dipoles
and dipoles are at a RF 0 in the middle
sometimes through/on the boom element mounting can be used to simplify construction and sometimes it doesnt help (depending on the parts and size your working with)
but they work either way
TV antennas are almost never yagi antennas (except for mono channel jobs) as they hardly have the bandwidth for 1 TV channel (6Mhz)
TV antennas are typically Log Periodic Arrays (LPA/LPDA) and are often several arrays combined to cover the huge frequency spread
but dont use all of your old TV antennas for parts as we here in the US are getting lowband TV channels back! weeee

YOu dont need to insulate this from the boom arm, just drill through the boom arm and push your ally tube through, then stick a self tapper or rivit in from the top to secure it.

You do need to insulate the driven dipole elements though

Status
Not open for further replies.