CB antenna for scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic42

If I’m only interested in listening to the 150 MHz range (154 and 155). Can one use a cab antenna, just make the vertical a certain length? What would be the length also? I’ve been out of the game for to long lol

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I’m only interested in listening to the 150 MHz range (154 and 155). Can one use a cab antenna, just make the vertical a certain length? What would be the length also? I’ve been out of the game for to long lol

Sure, however keep in mind that it will depend on what sort of antenna it is. If it's a base loaded, you might want to open up the base, bypass the coil and make a simple 1/4 wave. If it's a helically wound whip, you may have to get creative.

But on it's own without messing with it, a CB antenna will "work", just not as well as a tuned antenna.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I suggest not cutting and just try it out and see if it works for you. A quarter wave at 154 wold be 17-19 inches. The CB antenna is base loaded and so cutting the whip will be problematical at best. The scanner is not transmitting. All you want is to get some RF to the receiver. If you don't like the results, I suggest getting a dedicated antenna and not trying to adapt CB antennas.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A CB antenna will suck receiving 150MHz, and vice versa. There are any number of antenna calculators online that will give you the dimensions for just about any antenna type and frequency.

Fast1eddie

CB antenna will work well for low band, but the response curve will drop off shortly above 30 Mhz. If you are intending on using the full size 108 inch whip, that should take you up a tad more. You would be best off purchasing a simple discone, check out Universal Radio. I do not have it, but the Hustler model is simple, practical, very affordable and it works.

KX0Z

Just make a 1/4 wave ground plane. 5 pieces of wire and an SO-239 connector and your are golden...

Radiating element 18.25 and 4 18.25 radials cheap easy to make

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
What type of CB antenna? Is it base loaded? Is the radiating element a metal whip or is it fiberglass with wire wound in a coil around it? Is it a base antenna, or a mobile antenna? What sort of ground arrangement does it have?

As others say above.. It probably won't work well. KX0Z has the best suggestion. Just build one. Here are some plans for a 2M ground plane.. All you need to do is vary the formula so it works on 154 Mhz instead of 145. BUILD A GROUND PLANE ANTENNA FOR 2 METERS AND MORE - SIMPLE AND EASY!

Status
Not open for further replies.