Channel Master 5094A drawing and dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinb77777

I was looking for a good base scanner antenna and the search was either an ST2 or the preferred Channel Master 5094A Monitenna . I found a 5094A new in box locally, and before I put it up on the roof, I thought I would draw and dimension it for anyone who may want to build one of their own. The forked elements are what make this antenna interesting. There are short and long forks and I have detailed the dimensions and locations.

I have the AutoCad drawing or a PDF if anyone is interested. Just message me if needed

Kevin

Attachments

• 5094A dimensions.jpg
    5094A dimensions.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 669
  • channel-master-5094a-monitenna.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Ubbe

Is it a direct copy of the ST-2 but without the two extra dipoles for 400MHz and 700/800Mhz?
Are the Channel Master antenna connected to a 300-75 ohm balun?

/Ubbe

kevinb77777

Yes it has the 300 to 75 ohm balun transformer. It comes with RG6U 75 ohm coax also. Interesting though was the scanner side of the coax was an old male Motorola connector.

It is a 5 band antenna as in the attached pdf and will handle 800MHZ. The original 5094 could not handle the 800 Mhz band.

In case anyone has the original 5094, I understand you need to install those forked elements to get 800 MHz. I dimensioned them exactly and their location on the dipoles.

Kevin

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Know this is an old thread but found one myself about a month ago.
Brand new in box.
Lady who was selling it had no idea what she had and posted it to Facebook Market Place.
Told me its been in her basement since early 80’s when her & her husband got a divorce.
Now it’s in my basement until I figure on what to do with it.
77026f61c92cce09a35b628efa21b0f1.jpg
d79a71d7f51cc905cb1426ba067c4943.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Agree.
I only heard stories for years on how good this 5409A antenna was.
Never in a million years I ever thought I would stumble upon one in my neck of the woods.
Also never realized that this thing is over 10 foot tall once it’s expanded.

kevinb77777

I would add a fiberglass pole going across the two long elements just like the Antennacraft ST2 modification. The weak point is the plastic holder of the elements. I zip tied the 4 foot fiberglass pole using heat shrink wrap and zip ties.

I found mine the same way. The guy has been trying to sell it on a local ads for about 2-3 years and never found anyone who was interested. I am in the process of getting it up on my roof.

hardest part was finding a mast locally. Without Radio Shack around find a tall mast was not easy. I finally found a local fencing company that had 1 5/8" X 20 feet of fencing top rail that is schedule 40 or in the trade it is called WT-40. It has 0.120" thick wall. and about $35. should be plenty strong enough for this application.

Kevin

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
I concur on the plastic.
I tried to extend one side and was scared to bend the element or break the plastic.
I there a trick to get the element over the plastic tab or ya just have to do it quick to jump over it sorta ?

kevinb77777

The fiberglass rod will bend and just jump it over the plastic. I used a orange fiberglass rod from walmart near the hardware section. It was a few dollars for two of them.

Kevin

kevinb77777

You may want to add that it is similar to an AntennaCraft ST-2. You may get more hits on it that way. No one remembers this antenna since it hasn't been sold since 2000.

kevinb77777

Frank, I added a post to scanner antenna section about your Ebay listing. More people look there for recommendations on antennas. That should help you get more interest.

Kevin

mule1075

Feed Provider
In my opinion you did not get nearly what that was worth. I sold a st2 for twice that same dimensions shipped. Anyway congratulations on the sale but again I would have taken $200 at the very least. Whoever won the auction got a steal with you're ebay and PayPal fees you might be close to even. Live and learn.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Didn’t sell it for the money,if I was I would’ve put a reserve on it.
(Nice guy eh?)
And ya never know that the lady I bought it from had more then one from her now ex husband who was apparently a ham guy from all the crap this lady had in her basement which she didn’t have a clue about. In which case,either did I.
But when it came to the antenna pile I knew which ones that I was walking out with.
Money wasn’t on her mind as more as freeing up space from her “ex-husbands crap”.
Her words not mine.
What I spent on the car load of stuff I came back with I feel good inside that someone else who probably would’ve never seen a mint 5409A in 2018 now has chance to own one.
I know when I seen boxes, never opened,the stories of the 5409 & the Scantenna I’ve heard for the last decade (if not longer) about being the “once was” became upon me like a tidal wave.
And to he who won the auction I hope he uses it & enjoys it as much as I did finding these rare unicorns.

trp2525

In my opinion you did not get nearly what that was worth...I would have taken $200 at the very least...

For those wondering, this Channel Master 5094A Monitenna sold on eBay today for $51 (plus shipping) with a total of 7 bids.

For some interesting historical perspective on this antenna, I came across an old 1979 newspaper ad online for the original Channel Master 5094 Monitenna (the original non "A" version did not cover 800-900 MHz). The ad from Snyder's C.B. Radio Discount Center was published in the Cumberland Evening Times (Cumberland, Maryland) on March 19th, 1979. The advertised price for the antenna back then was a whopping $24.99!

See my RR posting here if you want to view the actual newspaper ad from 1979: http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...base-station-scanner-antenna.html#post2907524

Status
Not open for further replies.