Bomb threat Studio City LAPD LAFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock00

Did anyone hear any details on a bomb threat in Studio City near the intersection of Laurelgrove Ave & Moorpark Street? LAFD & LAPD were onscene and the air unit was overhead, I heard the initial dispatch for both agencies but nothing else. There was a perimeter set up and numerous fire engines on scene. Traffic was stopped near that intersection.

karldotcom

4400876112_f6dcd65670.jpg
Big Heavy

No, but I saw a LAPD White GMC, the Big Heavy and a third unit rolling code up I-5 so they must have been heading to it. Big Heavy being that big *** black truck...

Last edited:

Radio_Lady

Did anyone hear any details on a bomb threat in Studio City near the intersection of Laurelgrove Ave & Moorpark Street? LAFD & LAPD were onscene and the air unit was overhead, I heard the initial dispatch for both agencies but nothing else. There was a perimeter set up and numerous fire engines on scene. Traffic was stopped near that intersection.
It was a "996-1" bomb threat, all right, at the church at 12355 Moorpark Street. "There were two white objects taped together that looked like a bomb. Two pieces of PVC pipe with a cellphone wrapped around it was found during a staff meeting at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Studio City"

For whatever reason, the article says that both LAPD and LASD bomb trucks responded.

Last edited:

spock00

Radio_Lady

Do you know what freqs LAPD used for this?
No idea, and I was a little surprised to read that you heard the dispatch for LAPD, if you meant that both the location and nature of the call were voiced.

I've never paid attention to LAFD's dispatch procedures for them, but at LAPD it's always been S.O.P. to not say either "bomb threat" or "bomb scare" over the air. For a bomb threat there will typically be a broadcast on the concerned division's frequency of "North Hollywood units 15A85, 15A85, Incident 3467, Code 3. 15L40, 15L40 Incident 3467 Code 2," and the officers and supervisor will get the details off their MDC. Bomb scares, on the other hand, would usually just go to the MDC without being voiced at all.

For the Bomb Squad's response, the routine from Communications Div is usually a similarly vague "all units" broadcast, that "Units are responding Code 3 from Northeast Division to North Hollywood Division."

spock00

I heard something about "possible explosive device" with the cross streets dispatched on LAFD CH 8 and later related traffic on an LAFD Tactical channel. I also heard something similar on LAPD NoHo Channel 15. There was more detail about the incident on LAFD with very little said on the LAPD channel. The LAPD traffic was short and vague like you said. After 30 minutes I heard some related traffic on either one of the Valley Bureau Tacs or one of the 7 Citywide Tacs. Still they said little except about traffic control and setting up a perimeter. I have heard "bomb threat" incidents discussed before on the Metro channels when the incident was downtown. In that instance there was radio traffic on the local federal freqs as well.

No idea, and I was a little surprised to read that you heard the dispatch for LAPD, if you meant that both the location and nature of the call were voiced.

I've never paid attention to LAFD's dispatch procedures for them, but at LAPD it's always been S.O.P. to not say either "bomb threat" or "bomb scare" over the air. For a bomb threat there will typically be a broadcast on the concerned division's frequency of "North Hollywood units 15A85, 15A85, Incident 3467, Code 3. 15L40, 15L40 Incident 3467 Code 2," and the officers and supervisor will get the details off their MDC. Bomb scares, on the other hand, would usually just go to the MDC without being voiced at all.

For the Bomb Squad's response, the routine from Communications Div is usually a similarly vague "all units" broadcast, that "Units are responding Code 3 from Northeast Division to North Hollywood Division."

Status
Not open for further replies.