CHP frequency use map, corrections needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteinsf

It's a 1MB gif file, big but it coming through via Comcast here in Redwood City.

RolnCode3

How did you make it? We had talked about making one previously, and I was thinking of using ArcMap, but this looks pretty good (and a lot simpler to do).

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Here is my home brew CHP map. Have a look and send your comments.

Pete
http://pete.the-city.net/chp_map.gif
Very nice, and clearly useful to boot, Pete.

I've taken my Crayola® out and below is the updated boundary between the CHP Humboldt (#16) Green area, and the Redding (Trinity River #90) Red.

In 2007 Humboldt area's northeastern boundary was moved east about 21 miles, from the Redwood Creek bridge on SR 299 to the Hum-Tri County line, and from there it now follows the Hum-Tri line both north and south as shown. You obviously have a good source map for the county boundaries, but I've written in the three nearest towns as a rough guide to where the line now falls. So the Christmasy-looking area should now be green.

To the south through the mountains the line is more squiggly than shown, of course, but there's nothing there that matters anyway. (Can you tell I'm way over at the coast?)

Thanks for the excellent piece of work.

Harry

Attachments

• CHP_Humboldt_Green.jpg
    CHP_Humboldt_Green.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 4,658
Last edited:

peteinsf

LA map zoom in

Thanks Harry,

I'll update and re-post after all of the corrections. Your Humboldt update is exactly the information I was looking for. I was surprised how hard this information is to come by. I have had had to resort to dounut shop interviews on occasion.

here is a zoom in on the LA division.

http://pete.the-city.net/chp_map_la_zoom.gif

NORCAL

CHP Map with County Boundaries

Is there a way to add the county boundaries to this map? Sometimes, the county lines mark the various CHP patrol areas. I know that the county line on I-5 at W. Ness Avenue marks the boundary between Orange (Merced Dispatch) and Pink (Fresno Dispatch).

I'm not familiar with mapping software that you are using. How do you zoom in more than the defualt one button click. It would be nice to zoom in more than you can right now.

Overall, the you have done a great job on the map.

peteinsf

The county borders are in there if I zoom in enough. You can see an example in the LA zoom between LA and Orange.

What I am looking for is more like Humboldt, Redwood City or San Francisco information where the CHP office borders have nothing to do with the county lines.

I will post it division by division zoomed as I get it cleaned up. Did you have a specific area you wanted to review in detail? I can post close-ups as needed.

Pete

SCPD

QRT
I was having some Internet connection problems this morning and could not send you my comments, which are somewhat extensive. I did save them to a Word document and will repost sometime this afternoon.

You may not be able to incorporate all of my suggestions, but those that you can will, in my opinion, make the map more useful.

This is a very valuable project you have taken on. I wonder if you have thought about copyrighting it? I submitted a map of state park districts some years back to another website and found that map published in some frequency directory books later. Copyrighting does not have to be formal, just the little "c" inside of a circle is sufficient. You might also want to state, under the "c" symbol something like it is OK to print and copy for personal use, but commercial use requires your permission. Of course if someone uses the material anyway it is up to you to correspond with the violator and do something about it.

You may also want the map to be public domain. I think your concept for this map is outstanding and if you make it public domain be prepared to see it on lots of sites and in many publications. No one else has produced something quite this useful.

OK, I'm going to grab some late lunch and then repost my comments.

SCPD

QRT
The county borders are in there if I zoom in enough. You can see an example in the LA zoom between LA and Orange.

What I am looking for is more like Humboldt, Redwood City or San Francisco information where the CHP office borders have nothing to do with the county lines.

I will post it division by division zoomed as I get it cleaned up. Did you have a specific area you wanted to review in detail? I can post close-ups as needed.

Pete

I noticed that you have the border between the Bridgeport and Bishop area offices in the correct place, which doesn't follow the boundary between Inyo and Mono Counties north of Bishop.

I think close-ups are needed for the L.A. megalopolis and the Bay Area. It looks like the other areas are pretty understandable as is. The L.A. area should show western San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

jrholm

Best CHP map I've ever seen, hopefully we can help you out.

If I recall correctly Baldwin Park CHP office comes all the way down to the 60. When I worked Temple Station for LASD they had our El Monte County area. When CHP and us got into a fight with a duster all three local CHP stations BPK, ELA, SFS showed up in force.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I echo the sentiment; this is the best CHP map I’ve ever seen. The following comments may make it even better.

1) Add a title in the upper right hand side. You would only be covering up portions of Nevada, and since the topic is not that state, there would be no loss of information.

2) In the far upper right side, close to the margin, put a revision date.

3) Make a legend for the colors. The shades of blue and green are not easy to recognize. I would suggest that you list the base frequency next to each color.

4) Place the number of each office on the map in the appropriate locations.

5) If possible remove the boundaries of the wilderness areas such as the John Muir Wilderness between Kings Canyon and Yosemite National Parks, the Emigrant Wilderness north of Yosemite. The other wilderness areas are labeled or named and should also be removed. The Ventana Wilderness south of Monterey is shown with boundaries only and could be removed. Northwest of Joshua Tree National Park is a wilderness boundary shown with no name." North of Redding the boundary of a portion of the Whiskeytown/Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area is shown with no label. It should be removed. Joshua Tree National Park is full of busyness because the wilderness boundaries of that park are shown inside the exterior of the park. The exterior boundaries of the National Parks should remain as they provide information for orientation. North of Chester the boundary of Lassen National Park is shown, but it is not labeled. It should be labeled or removed.

This may not be possible as the base map you used is probably the source of all these boundaries and the labeling of them. It may seem like nit picking, however, whatever extraneous information you remove will make the map easier to read.

6) It would be helpful if you could show CHP Division boundaries differently than the area offices with the Division names and then make a legend, say in the lower left of the map, listing the CTCSS tone for each Division. The Division boundaries could be shown with a thicker black line.

7) Highlight the dispatch center cities by placing a star next to them. I noticed one area office not shown on the map and that is Mojave. It would be nice to have the area office shown in each area.

8) There are two places with “1 mile” shown. One over part of the word “Victorville,” and one just north of Joshua Tree National Park in the vicinity of 29 Palms.

9) I would see this most useful as a 8.5” x 11” map that can be put into a notebook. I carry a radio system reference notebook I put together when I travel. At that scale the color shades are difficult to decipher. At the zoom setting they seem to be better. The colors I observed in relation to this are: copper and gold look similar, amber and gold look the same (very little difference), brown looks green, red looks like dark orange, silver looks grey, violet looks brown, bronze looks like yellow, grey looks green, and maroon looks purple. Pink, orange, green, yellow, tan, grape, and turquoise are fine.

These changes would allow the user to determine the frequency, the tone, and the prefix of the unit designator by just looking at the map. As the map appears right now other reference information has to be used along with the map. The changes I've suggested would make this a "one stop shopping" reference sheet. At least as far as the primary dispatch channel is concerned.

Again, great job!

jlanfn

California Database Admin
If you could post a closer view of the Rancho Coucamonga, San Bernardino, and Riverside office areas I might be able to comment. Now I wish someone could get their hands on the beat area boundaries for those offices.

peteinsf

Exsmokey, thanks for you Big Picture input.

I agree with most of your comment and as you can see the base map is a bit limiting.

This map assumes you already know quite a bit about the CHP and was not intended to be a one sheet guide or book (not that it could not end up that way)

My goals are that I can tell who is who on the road...with that in mind, priorities are:

1) Radio Channel Borders
2) Office Borders with unit numbers (some office borders are in there now)
3) Islands of federal jurisdiction (ie: Death Valley is CHP patrolled other parks my not be)
4) TAC channel use (like 45.06 in the Bay Area)
5) Office locations (easy to get)
6) All the transmitter sites (I have similar map for Caltrans with the freqs and PL tone for Dist 2 & 10)

I was thinking after posting this (inspired by Exsmoky's Caltrans list) I have had a version of this MAP on and off since 1974 (on a paper AAA map then) so it time to let it fly free.

Thanks for all the input.

Pete

peteinsf

Humboudt correction

Harry,

Here is my interpretation of your Humboldt comments.

Pete

Attachments

• chp_map_humboldt.gif
    chp_map_humboldt.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 5,443

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
ZOOMABLE version of Pete's CHP map

How do you zoom in more than the defualt one button click. It would be nice to zoom in more than you can right now.
... you have done a great job on the map.
With Pete's approval I've converted his .gif map into an Acrobat .pdf file and uploaded it; available at
http://tinyurl.com/PETEINSFsCHPmap It's a bit under 1 MB and he gave me good resolution to work with for zooming around.

http://harrymarnell.net/PETEINSFs-chpmap070709.pdf is the true address if the "tinyurl" link breaks.

Edit: Your Humboldt interpretation looks spot-on, Pete.

Harry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.