CHP Air-To-Ground Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORCAL

I recently monitored several CHP units during a speed enforcement operation involving ground and air units. I could hear part of the ground units and non of the air unit conversation. Ground units were directed to go to the Blue Ch (42.340). The dispatcher directed the air unit to go to a tactical channel. I never could get the air unit (I listened to 6 different tactical freqs). Normally, I hear on 45.020 and 42.3400 when coordinating with air-ground units. Other times they use some VHF (154.xxxx) frequencies. Never had any luck with these.

Does anyone have any good data on what air-to-ground and VHF frequencies (154.xxxx and 4xx.xxx) the CHP is using in the San Jose Bay Area. Also, has anyone had any luck monitoring CHP tactical channels. I'm aware of CLEMARS frequencies.

Other times, I see a CHP make a stop and call it in. But I cannot hear it on any of the standard frequencies. Does anyone have an insight what they are using for frequencies when this happens --- mobile telephone?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Are there any trunked systems that they may be operating on in that area, like in other areas that CHP is now using?

NORCAL

I am unaware that the CHP has a trunk system. The State of Cal has looked into a new system, but funding seems to be a problem --- Gray Davis legacy. The area in question is the San Jose area.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
No CHP doesn't have its OWN trs yet,... but CHP is using some of the local trs's. Thart was why I asked about that. Also try any statwide interop/mutual aid in both lo band, and hi band, as well as the local county's freqs. They shouldn't be that hard to find..... unlike in some states, CHP is still mainly a simple radio system, much like MS, in fact I have monitored CHP recently vias skip and its nice to hear them on the repeaters on Lo band.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Take a look at this PDF file: http://unix.csuchico.edu/~nc65/maps/CHP_1Page.pdf Maybe you're unaware of other freqs.

If you aren't hearing a traffic stop, are you listening to the mobile side (if that channel isn't repeated)? CHP in the South Bay is either on VHF-Low or VHF (via handheld).

The only areas CHP uses a trunked system are San Diego and possibly Marin, whenever the system gets the bugs worked out.

-Wayne

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
45.02 (Ivory)
and
42.34 (Blue)

are the two I hear used the most for aircraft speed enforcement in the north bay. Since San Jose is still Golden Gate and they still use the same air units I would assume they use the same channels there. As for the units making the stops and calling them in, what freqs were you listening to? If you were trying to hear them on 154.905 (Extenders) you would likely hear nothing as they would not have the extender on yet. If San Jose office is repeated, as Oakland and Contra Costa offices are, you need to be listening to the output channel for that area which is 42.50 (Ruby). If they are not repeated you need to listen to 42.28 for the mobiles and 42.50 for the dispatchers. San Jose CHP is not on any trunked system.

NORCAL

CHP Air-To-Ground Frequecnies

In most of the cases when monitoring the San Jose CHP, I listen to 42.280 or 42.500. I appreciate the feedback.

I agree that the CHP could be using local VHF frequencies of other local law enforcement agencies to supplement their own frequencies. I thought someone might know some of the "special" frequencies (VHF/UHF) that are not listed on many of the common scanner Web sites.

kk6rq

CHP speed trap freq.

I'm surprised this info hasn't propagated more since I went through
this over a year ago: (at least in the bay area)

CHP Tac 6- Air-Grd: 45.06
Grd to Air or
Grd to Grd: 42.38

Have fun...

ps. According to a buddy who was working for their radio shop
at the time the tac channels were added said they don't even
program the Ivory anymore, though 45.02 is half of one of the
new tac channels.

BTW: I've noticed that many of the recent lists of so-called TAC channels
for CHP are just plain wrong. However, if you search for them,
the one that has the 45.06/42.38 combo for Tac-6 is correct.

SAR923

You can also hear a considerable amount of CHP traffic on the old State Police frequency of 453.825. This sounds like a repeat of the 154.905 extender frequency but I can hear stations from all over the Bay Area on this frequency.

serebin

SAR2401 said:
You can also hear a considerable amount of CHP traffic on the old State Police frequency of 453.825. This sounds like a repeat of the 154.905 extender frequency but I can hear stations from all over the Bay Area on this frequency.

You can only hear the dispatch on this frequency. I'm not sure what the deal with this frequency is exactly, maybe a dispatch to dispatch frequency for passing on BOLs or something? I quit listening to it though because I don't like hearing partial transmissions on stations all over the bay.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I have heard the CHP out here in Michigan, doing aircraft speed checks on 45.06 in the Bay area. That freq. seems to be the most active, but I have heard some activity on the Blue frequency as well.

73's

Ron

SAR923

I commonly hear 42.34/42.18 as the channels used for aircraft speed enforcement teams on Interstate 80 between Sacramento and the California state line. You can also monitor the extender frequency on 154.905 and hear the traffic there if the units have their extenders turned on.

sony

kk6rq said:
I'm surprised this info hasn't propagated more since I went through
this over a year ago: (at least in the bay area)

CHP Tac 6- Air-Grd: 45.06
Grd to Air or
Grd to Grd: 42.38

Have fun...

ps. According to a buddy who was working for their radio shop
at the time the tac channels were added said they don't even
program the Ivory anymore, though 45.02 is half of one of the
new tac channels.

BTW: I've noticed that many of the recent lists of so-called TAC channels
for CHP are just plain wrong. However, if you search for them,
the one that has the 45.06/42.38 combo for Tac-6 is correct.
It used to be that you could monitor and pick up both air and grounds units up at Red Top near Fairfield and this is 15 miles away on a channel Master base antenna but no more.
I believe it used to be on 45.020. What happened? Did they cut their transmitter power down so the signal won't travel far?

officer_415

Database Admin
Coordination with air units usually occurs on BLUE (42.34). The only VHF High Band frequency I'm aware of that CHP uses is the extender frequency (154.905).

If you're in close proximity to a San Jose CHP unit, you should be able to hear him on the RUBY input frequency (42.28). If the officer is using his portable radio, you should still be able to hear his mobile radio rebroadcasting on the RUBY input frequency, or you can listen to the portable directly on the extender frequency.

cousinkix1953

I can hear both ends of the San Jose CHP conversations on 42.50 most of the time. Sometimes they are simulcasting on 453.825. Look for the other end of those "blue" air coms on the "blue" mobile frequency 42.18 and see if they are working the regular duplex mode.

Don't rule out those leased private systems either. I heard what sounded like the CHP on a conventional 935 mhz repeater in that area several years ago...

Last edited:

Qwerty7

Chp Nor-cal

I was at a Law Enforcement jamboree of sorts a few months ago and the CHP Communications SUV/Command Post was there for the public to view. From what I saw (various radio mics were labeled VHF,UHF and the like) one was labeled 700 MHZ.
I have yet to hear of any CHP activity on 700mhz nor have I heard anyone else claim they have heard it.
Any buzz out there as to why this radio would be labeled so ?
Lastly, some of you seem to have excellent information available regarding the CHP radio system.
If so many of the 'TAC' freqs are wrong or outdated--could one of you go into the CHP Database and make some changes ? Additional notes regarding the Bay Area about repeaters and Air to Ground would also be really nice.
Good listening.

Mary

jimvm

CHP air unit

I live in South San Jose and can copy air and motorcycle units weekly.
Monitor 42.34 Blue out of Monterey, PL 167.9.
These guys nail speeders going north on US101 from Bailey Road to Hwy 85.
The Cessna aircraft is usually flying overhead giving out speeds and intercept
points. Heard one where a Mazda was going over 110 mph.

regards,
jim vm

officer_415

Database Admin
Mary-

CHP is replacing their portable radios and the associated "extender" mobile repeater system with a 700 MHz system. The transition was supposed to begin this year, but I haven't seen any in the field yet. As for the CHP Tac channels, the list on RadioReference is fairly accurate as far as I'm aware.

The only area where CHP uses another agency's radio system is San Diego, where they use the county's TRS. Earlier in this thread I saw someone mention possibly Marin, but CHP still uses VIOLET there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.