CHP monitoring, Ventura County area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjgostovich

Greetings,
I will be vacationing in Ventura County (staying in Camarillo) in early November and am looking for some assistance in loading up the CHP dispatch and primary use channels. I see for the area in the database there are low band and P25/700mhz dispatch channels listed. Are both being used? I’m just wondering what to load in what radio. Thank you in advance for any and all assistance!

markclark

Premium Subscriber
sjgostovich:

Unit call signs:

31-XX Ventura Office
24-XX Santa Barbara Office
54-XX Moorpark Office

For now, the Ventura county area is in transition from the old Purple to the new Purple-2 Coastal. You can hear both Purple channels on either 42.40(B), 42.16(M); PL 167.9, or, the new Purple-2 on 45.4 (B), 42.76 (M); PL 151.4. Both channels may operate in the repeater mode, however, from my distant location I have not heard the repeat mode used on either channel for a week or so. Since you will be in Ventura, you may hear the system operating in repeater mode.

Try the the old Blue, 42.34 (B), 42.18 (M); PL 167.9. The new Blue-2 Coastal may be implemented during your stay so be prepared for the following: 44.92 (B) or possibly 44.66 (B), 42.4 (M); PL 151.4. Note that one of the new Blue-2 channels requires abandonment of the old Purple. Sorry, I don't have a clue what mobile frequency 44.92 will be paired with.

You may want to listen to Santa Barbara units on the Green, 42.54 (B), 42.24 (M); PL167.9, or, possibly they may have switched to the new Green-2 at 44.88; PL 151.4. Alternatively, Santa Barbara may be assigned to the new Coastal Lime, 45.28 (B), 42.72 (M); PL 151.4. In the past few month's I have heard occasional traffic on that channel which sounds like traffic accident investigations. Note that implementation of the Coastal Lime requires abandonment of the old White channel that currently serves Buelton and San Luis Obispo (those areas are further up the coast).

Also, try CHP on UHF 460.375 and 460.45; PL 127 for special units and other state agencies. I can't help you with the new VRS 700 Mhz system as I'm too far away to hear those frequencies. Perhaps another member knows that information. Mobile Extenders may be on 154.905 Mhz.

Good luck !

Last edited:

JT-112

Hearing CHP *can* be difficult without a suitable antenna.

For example, you can expect to hear next to nothing if you're using a rubber duck inside a car.

However, if you get an external antenna, range can be simply fantastic.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
That's right, you'll need a good quality low band capable antenna to get the most out of listening to CHP. You may receive some signals on a rubber ducky, but only in the few areas where signal strength is the highest. Even under those conditions you probably won't receive signals with full quieting.

sjgostovich

Rog that...

See and my wife wonders why when we travel I bring 3 radios, 6 antennas and always book rooms on the highest floors of the hotels we stay at.. You folks understand!

I hope with the aresenal of varied antennas I have for my portables I can find something that will work. I've got a mag mount CB antenna i'm tempted to bring with in my checked luggage. I've heard those work well for recieve only on low band..

markclark

Premium Subscriber
The mag mount might work well, just make sure you have good ground for the radio and antenna. Low band requires a high quality ground plane to work well. You can get away with a lesser quality ground at higher frequencies, my experience indicates low band needs a good ground.

Also, try to rent a diesel engine vehicle if you can; diesel engines generate much less RFI on low band. BTW, the two Purple channels are in use, so you will hear traffic on both channels; just know they are simulcast so you don't need to monitor both old and new Purple channels.

P.S. I hope gas prices out here aren't too much of a shock.

JT-112

I haven't ever been able to hear a peep out of low-band at all when in a hotel, meaning inside a steel-framed structure. Keep that in mind...

Also, I used to have a very very small whip antenna with a small magnet and a mini cable with a BNC end. The whole thing was black and extremely unobtrusive. Got good signals in all bands and it fit in even a small suitcase easily. AES I think may stock them. If I can remember what the manufacturer or model number is, I'll chime in. I think I posted about it a few years ago.

Edit: shoot, looks like it's been discontinued: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/2327.html

Last edited by a moderator:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I haven't ever been able to hear a peep out of low-band at all when in a hotel, meaning inside a steel-framed structure. Keep that in mind...

Also, I used to have a very very small whip antenna with a small magnet and a mini cable with a BNC end. The whole thing was black and extremely unobtrusive. Got good signals in all bands and it fit in even a small suitcase easily. AES I think may stock them. If I can remember what the manufacturer or model number is, I'll chime in. I think I posted about it a few years ago.

Edit: shoot, looks like it's been discontinued: ProAm Valor MM270B Mobile Dual band Antenna MM-270B
While it's certainly not designed for VHF-low, I've been using various manufacturers' versions of this mini-mag mount for about 20 years, and its reception of CHP's low-band stuff is plenty adequate, in my opinion. I bought one about 2 months ago from this eBay dealer, and it's essentially the same as the one you show from Universal, and others I've gotten from places such as AES and Ham Radio Outlet over the years.
http://tinyurl.com/MIniMag-Mount or, if that link falls apart, it's at
POLICE SCANNER ANTENNA BROAD BAND MINI MAGNET MOUNT BNC | eBay

If that item number is sold out, the guy always has it available. The seller is http://myworld.ebay.com/antenna_2-way_direct/ and look on his page for the "Broad Band Mini Magnet Mount BNC." (I'm not connected with the seller)

Attachments

• minimag.JPG
    minimag.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:

Ablice

Wouldn't it be possible if a personally owned car had an external antenna (fixed and not a window type) to gut the broadcast radio antenna and replace it with a high quality fixed VHF antenna?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't it be possible if a personally owned car had an external antenna (fixed and not a window type) to gut the broadcast radio antenna and replace it with a high quality fixed VHF antenna?
Not sure what you mean by "gut the broadcast antenna," but certainly, you can replace the AM/FM antenna with one designed for VHF. It's always best to use an antenna specifically tuned for the band (and frequencies) you're most interested in hearing, and VHF low band such as used by CHP (39-45 mHz) ideally wants a longer antenna than the higher bands.

While it's usually going to be somewhat of a compromise especially on VHF-low, there are "disguise" (or "low profile") antennas available for all radio bands which look almost exactly like a stock broadcast antenna if you don't want a 50"- 60" attention-getting whip waving around.

For instance Stico has this one - http://www.sti-co.com/antenna-products/covert-antenna/fender-and-roof-mount/narrow-band in the 27-50 "NB-HF" (??) Model, although its 0.6 MHz bandwidth means you'll ideally need to select an exact frequency for the BEST reception. It'll still pick up a wide range of frequencies and bands, but do its best in the area it's tuned for.

Also take a look at the selection at http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=870&subgroupId=46

I'm sure that people who've used disguise/low-profile antennas will come in here with their experiences, suggestions, and pros and cons, especially for VHF-low band. I've never used one, so all I really know is what I've read online. And if it's on the internet it's ALWAYS true of course :roll:

Last edited:

sjgostovich

042.400 is bangin' tonight! Coming in clear as a bell from my hotel room. Those guys sound busy!? Having driven on a few of their highways over the last few days I have nothing but respect for the CHP! I saw a clean roof unit up in Simi Valley today. I dig the monster whip antenna on the roof. Good stuff out here!

Status
Not open for further replies.