New CHP Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Just happen to walk by one for the first time, while he was giving a guy a ticket. Unfortunately didn't get a pic. They look pretty cool. Didn't get a good look, but it had the regular low band, then they might have had a low profile can for the 700. Not sure. Then also the regular slanted FM in the back.

scottyhetzel

Just happen to walk by one for the first time, while he was giving a guy a ticket. Unfortunately didn't get a pic. They look pretty cool. Didn't get a good look, but it had the regular low band, then they might have had a low profile can for the 700. Not sure. Then also the regular slanted FM in the back.

Riverside Co. Sheriff K9 has one too. Saw it on the 10 west bound from Calimesa. I need to snap a pic too.

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
San Diego PD has a few on the street, this one is K-9.

Attachments

• New SDPD K9 small.jpg
    New SDPD K9 small.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 5,764

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Escondido, California

Light under the side mirrors
http://www.soundoffsignal.com/product/intersector-under-mirror-light
1004797_593235850729264_179929854_n.jpg

carlt

It's about time SDPD gives their K-9s new vehicles. They usually get the almost out-to-pasture cars, and have to use them until they won't go anymore!

kmacinct

Connecticut picked of a few and a few chargers.
CT uses them as an off duty vehicle - so there is no Identifications.
The Crown Vic's and some of the Older Expeditions have removable Whelen Light Bars.
It appears in the 'in term' they are pushing out a series of vehicles with no bars right now - Strictly undercover lighting.

Attachments

• 9312689372_3ddb45355e.jpg
    9312689372_3ddb45355e.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 5,693

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Connecticut picked of a few and a few chargers.
CT uses them as an off duty vehicle - so there is no Identifications.
The Crown Vic's and some of the Older Expeditions have removable Whelen Light Bars.
It appears in the 'in term' they are pushing out a series of vehicles with no bars right now - Strictly undercover lighting.
For me the rims give it away.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
true, but you can't see the rims when it's behind you! ;)
I always look for the cage meshing while looking straight through their car from my rear view mirror. Also if they have a laptop sticking up slightly above the dash.

mkewman

I posted this on another thread but I may as well post it here. There's a metric-crap-ton of Explorers in West Sac that are waiting to be outfitted with new radios and the VRS. Techs are working both day and night shifts to outfit them and apparently CVPIs that haven't had the 700 VRS installed, and aren't near end-of-life are also a major priority.

This change is going to go a lot faster than we're all expecting.

SCPD

QRT
I wonder where the money is coming from? The whole CHPERS program seems to have slowed considerably so I'm wondering why they have such a high priority on the new mobile radio configuration. The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios, but I think there are likely other agencies in the same boat, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.

This is as I understand things myself. There must be something I'm missing.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios.

Just read a magazine article. FCC David Furth stated the narrow band mandate is now about 85% compliant and hinted they will aggressively pursue wide band licensees. I'm sure the CHP as large as they are, sticks out like a sore thumb.

mkewman

I wonder where the money is coming from? The whole CHPERS program seems to have slowed considerably so I'm wondering why they have such a high priority on the new mobile radio configuration. The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios, but I think there are likely other agencies in the same boat, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.

This is as I understand things myself. There must be something I'm missing.

I believe they already have the equipment, it's just a matter of installing it. Procurement happened a long time ago. The deadline for that passed a long time ago and they purchased everything they needed so they wouldn't lose the budgeted money.

Also, they want to be in compliance with the FCC. I'm speculating here, but it could make it harder to acquire the frequencies they'll need in the future for the statewide 700 system if they don't get compliant and fast. I'm not saying the FCC would deny applications, but they could delay things and make it a little more difficult in the future, and could take a "well you weren't in a hurry to get compliant in '13, why are you in such a hurry now?" stance.

Also, OES is now in charge of public safety communications. It would be pretty embarrassing for OES if they got a notice or fined by the FCC in their first year on the job. I think one of the reasons why the CHPERS project slowed is because of the transfer of the agency from CTA to OES.

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I believe they already have the equipment, it's just a matter of installing it. Procurement happened a long time ago. The deadline for that passed a long time ago and they purchased everything they needed so they wouldn't lose the budgeted money.

Much of the funding comes out of vehicle registration fees and road/gas taxes. Installation has been delayed due to a number of factors, including "you can only do so much with the staff resources available."

Also, they want to be in compliance with the FCC. I'm speculating here, but it could make it harder to acquire the frequencies they'll need in the future for the statewide 700 system if they don't get compliant and fast. I'm not saying the FCC would deny applications, but they could delay things and make it a little more difficult in the future, and could take a "well you weren't in a hurry to get compliant in '13, why are you in such a hurry now?" stance.

The State already has their 700 MHz frequencies, and they don't have to apply for individual licenses. They do, however, have to show they are using their 700 MHz spectrum, and the CHP is key in meeting the FCC's mandates.

Also, OES is now in charge of public safety communications. It would be pretty embarrassing for OES if they got a notice or fined by the FCC in their first year on the job. I think one of the reasons why the CHPERS project slowed is because of the transfer of the agency from CTA to OES.

OES is now the agency that the Public Safety Communications Division (PSCD) is within, just as CTA was the agency that PSCD was within. It is still PSCD's responsibility (as the Governor's designee) to ensure State land-mobile operations are in compliance. Any 'black eyes' stay in PSCD, the same as it was under CTA, and DGS before that.

As to the delays on CHPERS, see my comments above as to one of the reasons for the delays (there are other significant reasons, also, which I won't get into).

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
I posted this on another thread but I may as well post it here. There's a metric-crap-ton of Explorers in West Sac that are waiting to be outfitted with new radios and the VRS. Techs are working both day and night shifts to outfit them and apparently CVPIs that haven't had the 700 VRS installed, and aren't near end-of-life are also a major priority.

This change is going to go a lot faster than we're all expecting.
What constitutes the end of life for an CVPI? Seems they run forever and have long lives.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Ford has just issued a recall for all 2005-2011 Ford Crown Vic's (including CVPI's), Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Towncars due to a corrosion problem on steering wheel shafts that could lead to loss of steering control. I don't know how that may affect the CHP's fleet of CVPI's (or any other agency, for that matter), how quickly the issue can be taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.