Chp dispatch centers / clemars

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

Do most/all dispatchers monitor clemars vhf / uhf ? I never hear chp on them or any agencies. I just wonder if someone yelled for help if chp would acknowledge. I understood old portable radios had clemars.

Does the new portables have clemars / vtacs programmed ?

jeremyphoto23

I can only speak for the CHP Comm Ctrs that I have been to, or closely worked with...and the answer is somewhat mixed. Do the dispatch centers have access/the ability to monitor the CLEMARS freqs? Yes, most.

Would I trust that a blind call for help would be answered by a CHP Comm Ctr (or any Comm Ctr for that matter), no.

If you look in the Cal IFog, it lists what agencies have the capabilities to monitor various mutual aid channels, but is not a guarantee any center is monitoring, or even in range to monitor traffic on these freqs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottyhetzel

I can only speak for the CHP Comm Ctrs that I have been to, or closely worked with...and the answer is somewhat mixed. Do the dispatch centers have access/the ability to monitor the CLEMARS freqs? Yes, most.

Would I trust that a blind call for help would be answered by a CHP Comm Ctr (or any Comm Ctr for that matter), no.

If you look in the Cal IFog, it lists what agencies have the capabilities to monitor various mutual aid channels, but is not a guarantee any center is monitoring, or even in range to monitor traffic on these freqs.

Thanks jeremy.... I heard a couple of units come up on the uhf chp system trying to run a plate , than heard my local dispatch center reply with the 27 info.. So that really suprised me.

Sac916

I know that not all CHP dispatch centers monitor CLEMARS. Most transmissions I have heard are low power direct.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know that not all CHP dispatch centers monitor CLEMARS. Most transmissions I have heard are low power direct.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Right, you probably already know this, but CLEMARS is a simplex channel, up to 100 watts. All the dispatch centers in my area, including the one I look after, all have CLEMARS on 100% of the time. B.O.L.O.'s and the like are broadcast from the biggest PSAP out to the two other ones in the county. When something comes out, our dispatch center will announce it on the main dispatch channel and the officers will switch their radios over to hear it directly. Our center and the other one in the county both acknowledge receipt.

So, like was said, it depends on where you go. In our area, a call on CLEMARS would be answered, more than likely. When we had a big fiber cut in the area a few years back, CLEMARS was the only way some agencies could communicate. It became a pretty busy "party line" for a few hours. With big antennas at 100 watts, it was no problem hearing traffic from all over the place. Most of the time it's dead quiet, but when needed, it pops into action pretty quick. Of course, the big motivation for that is all the agencies in this county are on VHF, so it's a good fall back. Agencies that do not dispatch on VHF are less likely to use it.

It's a great resource. Very basic, robust and it works very well. Too bad it isn't used more widely.

jeremyphoto23

Thanks jeremy.... I heard a couple of units come up on the uhf chp system trying to run a plate , than heard my local dispatch center reply with the 27 info.. So that really suprised me.

Did you notice if it was being used for an event, DUI Checkpoint, etc.? Many regions that don't have the luxury of having local shared tac channels will reserve CLEMARS and use it for an operation..especially when multiple agencies and CHP are involved.

Right, you probably already know this, but CLEMARS is a simplex channel, up to 100 watts. All the dispatch centers in my area, including the one I look after, all have CLEMARS on 100% of the time. B.O.L.O.'s and the like are broadcast from the biggest PSAP out to the two other ones in the county. When something comes out, our dispatch center will announce it on the main dispatch channel and the officers will switch their radios over to hear it directly. Our center and the other one in the county both acknowledge receipt.

So, like was said, it depends on where you go. In our area, a call on CLEMARS would be answered, more than likely. When we had a big fiber cut in the area a few years back, CLEMARS was the only way some agencies could communicate. It became a pretty busy "party line" for a few hours. With big antennas at 100 watts, it was no problem hearing traffic from all over the place. Most of the time it's dead quiet, but when needed, it pops into action pretty quick. Of course, the big motivation for that is all the agencies in this county are on VHF, so it's a good fall back. Agencies that do not dispatch on VHF are less likely to use it.

It's a great resource. Very basic, robust and it works very well. Too bad it isn't used more widely.

I always here Santa Cruz county BOLO's down here in Soledad. Monterey county also use to use clemars as a secondary dispatch for the peninsula cities they now use the new county command channels. But I never heard CHP comm center on any other state channels VHF,UHF.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I always here Santa Cruz county BOLO's down here in Soledad. Monterey county also use to use clemars as a secondary dispatch for the peninsula cities they now use the new county command channels. But I never heard CHP comm center on any other state channels VHF,UHF.

NETCOM has a great location for covering the bay. I work for UCSC and our systems, including CLEMARS cover down your way quite well. I can use my 800MHz trunked system most of the way down to Greenfield.

scottyhetzel

Did you notice if it was being used for an event, DUI Checkpoint, etc.? Many regions that don't have the luxury of having local shared tac channels will reserve CLEMARS and use it for an operation..especially when multiple agencies and CHP are involved.

Hi, I never hear on an event. I just here units with out identifiers use for wierd stuff like asking a question or "can you run a plate for me" Most of the PD/ Sheriff is my area are in the 800 mhz band so that is probably the reason why I hear little traffic on it. I just was figuring when ***** hits the fan....will the channel become very active. I know when I spent time in L.A. lots of PD's used it for tactical channels.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
In LA basin it seems the 2 UHF access channels are the best points of contact to reach CHP.

I've heard multiple agencies pop up and speak with the CHP. Also a regular occurrence seems to be off duty officers calling to report traffic accidents on the channels.

I don't think I've heard activity on VHF CLEMARS for ages, with very rare activity on UHF CLEMARS.

scottyhetzel

In LA basin it seems the 2 UHF access channels are the best points of contact to reach CHP.

I've heard multiple agencies pop up and speak with the CHP. Also a regular occurrence seems to be off duty officers calling to report traffic accidents on the channels.

I don't think I've heard activity on VHF CLEMARS for ages, with very rare activity on UHF CLEMARS.

Thanks everyone for your feedback...

kma371

QRT
Right, you probably already know this, but CLEMARS is a simplex channel, up to 100 watts.

It's not just a simplex channel. Up here, Modesto PD uses it as a records channel in a repeater mode. There are also two repeaters north of there operating with two different repeated offsets.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's not just a simplex channel. Up here, Modesto PD uses it as a records channel in a repeater mode. There are also two repeaters north of there operating with two different repeated offsets.

I did not know that. The Cal iFog shows it as 154.920 for both TX and RX. In my area, it's used simplex only. I take it others are using it as a repeater output channel?

We are talking about 154.920, right?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
CALAW4 (UHF CLEMARS' name post-narrowbanding) is not widely used in Southern California due to the no-longer-in-effect Orange County protection zone that restricted its use in L.A., San Diego, and the Inland Empire area of Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Once Orange County moved their UHF law operations to 800 MHz (around 10 years ago) the protection zone was eliminated. Agencies that are in the former protection zone have been slow to build infrastructure.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
I did not know that. The Cal iFog shows it as 154.920 for both TX and RX. In my area, it's used simplex only. I take it others are using it as a repeater output channel?

Uh I thought we were all talking about UHF.

scottyhetzel

The cal ifog manual is awesome... Lots of good explanation per county... I need to do more programming on my 15x and start monitoring better. Thanks for the reminder.

Radio_Lady

I don't know where I read it, but my understanding was that 154.92 was not to be used in repeater mode. TX & RX, alright, but not repeater. (Or was it not as a repeater uplink? Am I wrong?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know where I read it, but my understanding was that 154.92 was not to be used in repeater mode. TX & RX, alright, but not repeater. (Or was it not as a repeater uplink? Am I wrong?

It's simplex. That's why I was confused. You guys in Southern California are always doing weird stuff, so I just figured that's what was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.