New and need help - monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RENEGADEPETIE

Hi all, I am new to this. But I bought a Baofeng radio. I know that i cant really get into things until im licensed so im using it as a scanner. I figured out how to program it using the CHIRP software and programmed my county and local cities directly from this site after I upgraded my membership. This is the police and EMS stuff i programmed. I looks like I am picking up county fire and sheriff but im not picking up any local city traffic. Perhaps i ned to do some additional programming ?? I am in the Monterey area , specifically zip codes 93940, 93955, 93923, 93901 , that area. If someone could point me in the right direction or knows whats going on here it would be much appreciated

kma371

QRT
Which "local city" traffic are you referring to? Monterey specifically, or all of them?

The database shows they are using the VHF/700 MHz trunked system, which you would not be able to receive on that radio. If they are no longer using the analog VHF frequencies, the DB may need to be updated.

RENEGADEPETIE

Still figuring THIS system out.... but im trying to get Monterey, Seaside, Del Rey Oaks, Sand City, Carmel and Salinas.

RENEGADEPETIE

Thanks guys .... this is just to kill time until I get my license, gives me a chance to play with the radio a bit in the meantime

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks guys .... this is just to kill time until I get my license, gives me a chance to play with the radio a bit in the meantime

There's still a lot of VHF analog traffic around the bay. Depending on your exact location, you should be able to pick up traffic out of Santa Cruz county. All public safety users in SCC are on VHF analog.

RENEGADEPETIE

I'm in Sand City , very close to the beach , I could probably pick them up, I may try that this weekend just to get comfortable with programming the radio if anything. I discovered that the CHIRP software in conjunction with this site makes it very easy to do.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm in Sand City , very close to the beach , I could probably pick them up,

Shouldn't be an issue for you, then.

Santa Cruz fire has a simulcast site above Monterey to help fill in some coverage areas on the other side of the bay.
The rest of the agencies all have repeaters on high sites above the bay, so lots to listen to.

Plus the air show this weekend.

You can always try the NOAA weather channels:
162.400, 162.425, 162.450, 162.475, 162.500, 162.525, 162.550.
While not all those are used in this area, you should be able to receive 2 or more from Sand City.

RENEGADEPETIE

Thanks !! I played with the NOAA channels the other night and came thru loud and clear.... and I forgot all about the air show !!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks !! I played with the NOAA channels the other night and came thru loud and clear

Yeah, they have their transmitters up on Loma Prieta, actually, they are on McQueen Ridge, but only a few hundred yards south of LP. Good strong signal all around the bay.

.... and I forgot all about the air show !!

You might get some fly overs today. I know up here in Watsonville we occasionally have them fly over on their way in/out of Salinas.

Status
Not open for further replies.