172.5125 Forest Service Law??

Status
Not open for further replies.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at the latest CAL-IFOG and under Tehama county sheriff it lists an "LE Net" of 172.5125 (input 164.3625). My guess is it is a law net for the Lassen national forest or Lassen national park. Anyone hearing any traffic on this frequency?

silverspy

Don’t know about the traffic. However, what I can offer you is this: I’m fairly certain that there is the same
Frequency pair used on the Siuslaw National Forest here in Oregon. I seem to remember a report made awhile back about someone hearing Siuslaw LEO’s on this channel. This adds yet another question in my mind, though, are there two USFS law nets in use in California, because I thought they were using 171.7875.
I did have one question for you though, if you don’t mind? Do you know if the Lassen National Forest is still
using the same frequencies for their Admin Net?

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I have a lot of ears on this freq pair in Tehama County - nothing yet. And I have not seen LNF switch to their new Admin net pair yet. I'm keeping an eye on that too.

norcalscan

Premium Subscriber
LNF is switching to a new pair for their Admin Net?

That's the intel I have. Work due for sometime in 2018.
Admin Net switching from 169.950/164.9125 to 171.475/164.9125
Service Net switch from 164.100/164.800 to 169.950/164.100

That switch all has to happen and coincide with Modoc NF switching their Service Net to the same pair. It appears in the end, R5 will have 4 service nets A-D among the forests.
Service Net A 171.500/164.825 PNF ANF LPF SHF
Service Net B 172.400/164.125 TNF INF CNF MNF KNF-Salmon SQF
Service Net C 169.950/164.100 LNF MDF SRF
Service Net D 173.7625/164.825 ENF SNF

Last edited:

silverspy

Thanks. Also, here is some information for you. I recently traveled through that area on my way to Reno, and
copied traffic on 171.475, as you stated, on the LNF new Admin Net. So it appears that the change has already been made possibly, at least for that Net. The traffic was copied near Susanville.

norcalscan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Also, here is some information for you. I recently traveled through that area on my way to Reno, and
copied traffic on 171.475, as you stated, on the LNF new Admin Net. So it appears that the change has already been made possibly, at least for that Net. The traffic was copied near Susanville.

Oooh thanks for that into. How recent? That was the input to the old Forest Net. But they've gone through an entire season on the new Fire Net so I couldn't imagine any lingering old Forest Net stuff still active. I'll double check my logging to make sure I'm not missing the transition to the new uses of the freq. Thanks!

silverspy

One week ago. And it was definitely a Repeater and not simplex, because I heard a squelch tail between the transmissions; they were brief.

Norman

Quote "Another source showed 171.5250" That frequency is the Dispatch/Fire channel for the ENF. (R5).

silverspy

I just wanted to report, that today, I copied traffic off of the Tahoe National Forest, Forest Net; an Edward Unit running a plate off of Mt.Rose Repeater. I remember from the past that the old Region 5 LEO Net used to have a tone on Mt. Rose as well. Possibly the buildout for the new R5 Law Net is not yet complete, and certain forests are still using their assigned nets for LEO functions?

norcalscan

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed 171.475 active forest-wide for LNF Admin Net. Still keeping eyes and ears out on when their new Service Net goes live. Could be a while, only traffic recently on old Service Net is a RAWS station someone occasionally activates to get the weather somewhere on the western slope of LNF.

No hits logged yet on this mystery Tehama LE 172.5125 freq. Keep listening though; historically Tehama SO dispatch had radio capabilities on the old USFS Law 168.025 and would provide service for the Edward units on the LNF. I wouldn't put it past them to continue this practice.

edit: however knowing how the Cal-IFOG is populated, I know the accuracy of this is highly questionable. There is zero local knowledgeable person in the sheriff dept or OA who knows this info, and it shows with their listing of CLEMARS1 Wide, CHP inaccuracies, and that they have a gateway in their command van, a JS 23412 gateway in fact.

Last edited:

silverspy

My apologies for the crosstalk between the topics, but do you happen to know if the LNF now has Repeaters on Colby and Latour Butte or Table Mtn to cover the West side of the Forest? I know that the Repeater on top of Lassen Peak used to cover that area, however, I know that has been taken down. However, when I copied traffic traveling through the area, the signal strength indicated that there is a Repeater on Hamilton Ridge now. It would be interesting to know if the Lassen is currently using the R5 LEO Net, or are planning to.

Status
Not open for further replies.