Santa Maria City New "Improved" System

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Fire is now live on the new 700 MHz P25 Phase II system.

Analog channels are still live and appear to be patched into the new system. SMR Channel 1 was used to coordinate out of county resources on in-city routine calls while all city apparatus was on a large structure fire. At that time, SMR Command 2 was patched into the new system to allow communication with out-of-city resources assisting with the fire.

Unable to determine which other channels are still operation but will update as information becomes available.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed someone has incorrectly removed Santa Maria City Common and the Fire Channels from the RR DB. These are still in place. The VHF fire channels are necessary for inter-op and are patched to the 700MHz system.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for restoring the fire channels, whoever you are.

Note, per the 2017 CAL FIRE SLU load:
27 SMR DSP SMR DISP
28 SMR CMD SMR CMD
29 SMR TAC 3 SMR TAC 3
30 SMR TAC 4 SMR TAC 4
31 SMR TAC 5 SMR TAC 5

Last edited:

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I was consulting for AHC a few months ago, they have a TRBO system on their “campus security” frequency listing that they are using for both. At that time, they were still waiting on an APX to be delivered so they could talk with SMPD. Interim police chief didn’t seem interested at all in joining the SMPD system.

There is an invitation only open house next week with the attempt to sell the system to other agencies. They will be demoing the system at that time. I’ll post with the highlights sometime there after.

N6FGV

N6FGV- extra class/ GROL
programinf a 996p2 for santa maria 700mhz system

looking for info to program 700 MHz system in a 996p2 for the new santa maria 700mhz system

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
So they had their "technology summit" today, paid for and hosted by Motorola Solutions.

My takeaways: people making decisions were not qualified.

Consultant is reminiscent of a used car sales person, trying to use scare tactics to force other agencies onto the system. More BS than info. Not entirely sure he knows all the details. Consultant has "installed 78 of these systems".

They tossed the definition of interoperability and recreated it their way. This was brought up over and over and over by agencies present and no good answer for interop for any system not connected to RICS. There are "interop talkgroups" on the system. No utilization of 7CALL or 7TAC channels.

Fire is ecstatic that the new 700MHz system is allowing them to get MDTs with mapping, video, and other info. B/C that is liaison to tech committee doesn't understand this isn't going over the 700MHz system. Fire complained about previous coverage with the single low level VHF repeater site, which is much improved using the two simulcast sites.

Fire analog channels are not going anywhere. Command 2 patched to FD2 talkgroup for mutual aid. The others will remain up and in place and maintained as a backup. Fire has in excess of 10 talkgroups... 5 command TGs, 5 tactical TGs, and admin level TG(s). Utilization of simplex only on mutual aid incidents. They fail to see the need ("Because the 700 has such good penetration") to utilize simplex on fireground and will only implement in when mutual aid is used.

While never specifically answered, it appears that all talkgroups on the system are encrypted. Will need someone to confirm, but that's the impression given.

The UHF channels are still in place and on the air, to be used as a PD backup. When drilled on interoperability, the consultant kept evading questions and giving vague answers. No word as to whether CALAW4D or City Common are available for outside agencies to talk to SM Dispatch. They keep referring to the interop talkgroups on the 700MHz system, failing to see the fact that SB County and SLO County are not going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in new radios to interop with one city.

One major fault: after the switchover to the 700, someone forgot about station alerting. The stations were without alerting for a couple of days until a resolution was cobbled together. Again, going back to consultant (in my opinion) not being thorough or the people behind the RFP not having any technical background.

Guadalupe is not on the system at this time, and it's not certain IF they will join.

Consultant was very pushy on the new system and kept stating that agencies will create an island themselves if they don't join the new system. I don't see any SLO County interest other than possibly Pismo Beach.

code3cowboy

SMX PD already had an island, and we used White anytime there was mutual aid negating Danny's encryption which he hated. Coincidentally the dispatchers were told "never do that again" after bridging Fire and PD together during some hot call a while back.

Sounds like the city has again blown money on a system that does not do what it needs.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
They now have an encrypted FD & PD tactical talkgroup.

Note, the City of Santa Maria will maintain both "legacy" systems as a backup. Which the consultant said is unnecessary due to the "highly reliable" infrastructure. Why have a backup?

Also, system equipment is "upgraded" every two years. Every ten years, the "maintenance" equals the upfront cost on the equipment.

They also mentioned roaming, the ability for RICS subscribers to roam to any RICS system and talk back to their home. They didn't discuss the need to program system and site information for all the subscribers.

Most of the "benefits" that were realized are just benefits from LTE data in vehicles and updating sorely worn out equipment. Nothing special.

AHC is using a DMR system on their campus security frequency (461.925), Guadalupe FD and PD is still dispatched by SB County.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I drove through on 101 heading home last Sunday morning and had the system programmed into my 1098 to see what there was to see. Coming from the south, it was in my rotation as I came over San Marcos Pass and through 154, but never got any signal until maybe Los Alamos area, very spotty, and never really locked on until breaking into the valley and seeing the southern site (Solomon Hills?) line of sight.

All I got were a few hits on Wildcard that sounded like a transit and if I recall, a public works utility of some sort. The simulcast was certainly making it rough for the 1098 to follow while mobile. No LE or Fire in the short time of listening, but can't recall what the encrypted setting is on my 1098 on if it would ignore, stop, or give noise. Don't recall anything on the conventional side though either so maybe just no traffic, as opposed to encrypted. As soon as I hit the river/county line I killed the system due to minimal traffic, simulcast frustrations, and prepping for SLO coverage anyway to know what was ahead of me on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.