Lassen National forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reever

I'm vacationing in Lassen National forest near Westwood California. I find myself right in the path of an MTR. Just got buzzed by a C-17 out of Travis. Any idea of the frequencies for this route?
Thanks, Steve

Movieman990

MTR...learned something new !

I'm vacationing in Lassen National forest near Westwood California. I find myself right in the path of an MTR. Just got buzzed by a C-17 out of Travis. Any idea of the frequencies for this route?
Thanks, Steve

I didn't even know what an MTR was when I read your post, but I googled it then I came back to RR and did a search on MTR frequencies.

Here's one thread that came up. Maybe it will help you explore further.

https://forums.radioreference.com/military-monitoring-forum/73774-military-training-routes.html

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Here is some info about a nearby MOA (Military Operating Area). Note the Oakland Center frequency. Aircraft on the IR 207 route near you may pop up on the center frequency when entering or exiting.

51: Military Operations Area MOA US 02314 WHITMORE 2 MOA, CA
ICAO Id: KZOA
Controlling Agency: FAA, OAKLAND ARTCC
Communications Facility: OAKLAND CENTER
Communications Frequency 1: 132.2 M
Communications Frequency 2: 350.3 M
Upper altitude: 018000AMSL
Lower altitude: 11000AMSL
Effective Times: MON-FRI 1530-0030Z++ OT BY NOTAM
Weather: VFR-IFR

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
You might hear some aerial refueling stuff as well on their AR7 route. I hear them sometimes in the valley from Red Bluff.
269.100 and 327.100 I think are the artcc freqs both ends of the route dump out onto.

I remember camping at Almanor in the early 90's as a kid and seeing a stealth fighter come out of nowhere (within whitmore moa) cut across the lake south to north, subsonic but low and fast, and the triangle silhouette racing about 36 "inches" ahead in the sky of its sound. Later in the week I'd hear some but off in the distance.

I know some fast movers fly out of either Fallon or Reno area and play low and fast in the Hwy395 area south of Honey Lake. Drove through there late evening few years ago and got some close call hits on a rubber duck. Late to the hotel so wife wouldn't let me stop and play a bit, wasn't going to start off vacation like that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.