CALSTAR Air Ambulance Low Power Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently came across CALSTAR frequencies page on Radio Reference

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=4011

According to those FCC licenses associated with those frequencies, it says that their repeaters and mobile radios are only transmitting at 10 watts, with some even as low as 3 watts. I was wondering if this was an error by whoever applied for the licenses or if they actually do transmit with such low power and if so, why?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
They are talking from mountain top sites to helicopters. It is mostly all line of sight. High power is not required. Most aircraft (AM) communications are low power as well. I once worked a station that was aeronautical mobile with an HT at about 200+ miles. He was at 20,000 feet. Also, I've worked ham satellites with 5 watts. Remember the old directive - use the minimum amount of power necessary to establish the contact.

By the way a CalStar repeater is in the building at the base of the towers in my picture.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are rules in Part 90 that specifically address radio use from aircraft.
Some frequencies are limited to 10 watts or less. 700MHz is limited to 2 watts or less.

This is done specifically to prevent interference to co-channel users. Since the aircraft can be up pretty high, there's no need to use a lot of power and risk interference with other users on the same frequencies. And there's no need to run a bunch of power on the repeater side if the aircraft can only run lower powers.

scannermike11

Banned
be carefull with these a lot of are not right

first the 157 range freq are inputs only you will not much on them
i have been tell the web site people to drop these but nobody whats to listen

Oh ok, that makes sense. I just would've thought the repeaters would have a little more oomph just in case there was an obstruction or terrain blocking the signal. I'm so accustomed to public safety repeaters being 100+ watts in VHF.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
More power might help the repeater slightly, but usually it doesn't fix topological shielding issues. Since the aircraft is limited, it wouldn't be able to talk back.

Status
Not open for further replies.