CHP UHF Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsn0w

Hello RR!

Looking at the CHP database here, I noticed that under the Division Wide sections there are some UHF frequencies, usually just named "UHF 1" and "UHF 2". Does anyone know what those are used for? As far as I'm aware, CHP is usually on lowband. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

drsn0w

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Those are the old state police frequencies. CHP acquired them when they absorbed the state police a couple decades ago. Used to be they were associated with cities that hosted state office buildings and had state police there for law enforcement.

For their use today, haven't a clue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Police

Last edited:

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Those frequencies were also used, in Southern California, for DMV investigators, Dept. of Insurance investigators, UPRR Police, and other miscellaneous state agencies. I believe UPRR PD moved to another system. Plug 'em in and listen, they may be active in your area.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Atleast in SoCal they can be busy. Also used as an access channel for outside agencies.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
In Downtown Sacramento, CHP's Capital Protection Section (OCAPS) uses UHF 2 for their dispatching, since they're on foot a lot and inside buildings often.

CHP's Governor's Protection Detail will also come up occasionally on OCAPS UHF 2 when they're on the move, otherwise they use simplex mode on the UHF channels.

Alcohol Beverage Control in Sacramento will typically just log on and log off on UHF 2 but sometimes run record checks.

The security guards for the other state buildings in Downtown Sacramento have a separate UHF frequency they use, different from the CHP ones.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Here in the central division, it’s used for air ops. From what I hear on my scanner, when there is a car chase or need for a bird, it’s handled on UHF2 so the other frequencies can stay clear for regular traffic. I only ever hear that traffic on there.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
In the Golden Gate Division they are used as "back channel repeats" for the Dispatchers. So any given day on the old UHF L8 or L9 channels, those are for G.G. around here, you can hear dispatchers from San Jose to Sonoma or Napa areas!

Not sure about the Bay Bridge, but the Golden Gate Bridge bike/walking patrol uses UHF L8, forgot which UHF it's named now, as their talkback channel to Golden Gate Dispatch.

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6ifv

Premium Subscriber
CHP does use UHF in and around the Sacramento Capital for patrol and security on the grounds of the Capital. Also for dignitary protection and other protective details. UHF is also used in Southern California for special events. There are backup UHF repeaters throughout the State as well.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
I hear the UHF channels in the Valley Division a lot, and all I hear is dispatch and report traffic.

officer_415

Database Admin
Thanx for those freqs. I already have those plugged into scanner and don’t hear anything on them from here in the eastern end of Solano County.

453.825 has transmitters on Tam, Diablo, Loma Prieta, Sonoma Mtn, Twin Peaks, Oakland, and Santa Rosa. Diablo would likely reach you, but I believe they normally use the transmitter on Tam, which faces south.

453.850 only has a transmitter on Twin Peaks in SF.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Hey franks_ham? What freqs are UHF L8 and L9? Can’t find them anywhere.

Didn't see an email saying I had a reply here. To answer the question. They used to be UHF "Lima" Channels or L1-L10. L8 and L9 were assigned in the Golden Gate Region. Today they are UHF3 and UHF4 in the database.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.