Celebrity Cruise Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
Went on a cruise recently on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne NJ. My scanner was impounded by shore security and labeled a "prohibited item". They turned it over to ship security since it was a repositioning cruise and the cruise ended in San Juan Puerto Rico. I was able to get the scanner back when I left the ship there. They didn't "find" the other scanner in my checked baggage so I still had one on the ship. The ship radio's are all DMR formatted so I could not hear a thing. I found it interesting that they are banning scanners but using DMR radio's, talk about overkill. The security officer on the ship also advised me that this policy will apply to all Celebrity and Norwegian Cruise line ships so I just wanted readers to be aware of that.

ecps92

Had a similar experience 2 yrs ago on Celebrity, yet not on RCCL it's sister company

Interesting the security officer mentioned NCL as it's not part of the RCCL family

Interesting you say DMR as this fall (October) she was in Boston and using Analog
467.7500 R / 457.5250 - 85.4 Hz

Much of RCCL is moving to DMR

Went on a cruise recently on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne NJ. My scanner was impounded by shore security and labeled a "prohibited item". They turned it over to ship security since it was a repositioning cruise and the cruise ended in San Juan Puerto Rico. I was able to get the scanner back when I left the ship there. They didn't "find" the other scanner in my checked baggage so I still had one on the ship. The ship radio's are all DMR formatted so I could not hear a thing. I found it interesting that they are banning scanners but using DMR radio's, talk about overkill. The security officer on the ship also advised me that this policy will apply to all Celebrity and Norwegian Cruise line ships so I just wanted readers to be aware of that.

paulears

Here in the UK, nobody was interested in the masses of radio equipment we took on board for entertainments purposes. The only restriction was that we could not bring loudspeakers on board, because the installed system was wired through the emergency system, so the power could be cut on a single button press. Our radio mics, in ear monitors and walkie talkies were ignored. This applies to the Irish Sea ferries too, nobody interested in radio equipment.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Unless something changed since the summer of 2014, NCL doesn't seem to enforce/ban scanners (or mototrbo radios for that matter) on board. I had a Uniden 396xt and 2 XPR6550s in my carry-on and no one from NCL said anything about them. Same goes for Carnival as I had the same setup this summer. I guess YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.