• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

from 4 watts to close to 24 watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
tuned and peaked yesterday.....

cb shop said he got it close to 24 watts...

he wouldnt do mosfet finals...dont know why..(maybe doesnt do it)...but is it possiable to gain that much more from 4 watts(stock) with JUST the tune & peak without replacing anything?

txs

29 nw st cobra
lil wilson

SCPD

QRT
I don't know, but 24 watts is anything but legal on citizens band radio.

Use it a lot and expect a visit from Uncle Charlie.

Don_Burke

he wouldnt do mosfet finals...dont know why..(maybe doesnt do it)...but is it possiable to gain that much more from 4 watts(stock) with JUST the tune & peak without replacing anything?

txs

29 nw st cobra
lil wilson
I would believe he said 24 watts and that might be what his wattmeter said.

How much useful talkpower you are getting is another issue.

It might actually be a drop.

This could get pretty expensive for you.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
just read posts on my "cb shop"topic....lQQks like double would be a surprise.

seen those 29 cobras with the rxt-75 in the back of it....something like that rx something 75 on youtube.....like to get that....lol

oh well...$30....for peak tune....

Don_Burke

just read posts on my "cb shop"topic....lQQks like double would be a surprise.
You _do_ realize that doubling the power only adds one half of an "S" unit, don't you?
oh well...$30....for peak tune....
Those "peaks" often cause the radio to put out spurious stuff.

That 30 bucks could easily be a drop in the bucket compared to the fines.

prcguy

In my early days I was a bench tech at the largest CB mfr in the world at one time and have aligned and repaired hundreds and hundreds of CBs. At that time a few SSB radios on the market would approach 25w peak on SSB and would dead key at maybe 6w AM with good quality modulation after careful alignment.
When and AM transmitter is operating properly the peak output with 100% modulation will increase 6dB or 4 times above the carrier, so with 6w carrier you could see 20w or more on a peak reading wattmeter.
Of course a flea market wattmeter could read just about anything and fool its owner into thinking a radio is producing something its not.
No one except the FCC in your front yard will know you are putting out a few dB more signal but if your modulation limiter has been dicked with too much or snipped out, people several channels above or below will no longer be you friend.
prcguy

trace1

txs

29 nw st cobra
lil wilson

Ya' might want to read this...

FCC going after CBer's

Gonna be an expensive "toy" when you get caught!

2beers4me

Oh no, a CB doing over 4 watts!!!! Call out the National Guard! Aircargo, your radio is probably doing around 20 watts. Don't listen to these guys about getting busted. I would hope the FCC would have better things to do than bust people with a CB with a truck stop tune up on it. I would say that less than 10% of trucks on the road run a legal 4 watts.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
it's not worth the $$...

Get your amateur radio license....you won't even want a cb,much less worrying about what it puts out!
N9ZAS.

trace1

Oh no, a CB doing over 4 watts!!!! Call out the National Guard! Aircargo, your radio is probably doing around 20 watts. Don't listen to these guys about getting busted. I would hope the FCC would have better things to do than bust people with a CB with a truck stop tune up on it. I would say that less than 10% of trucks on the road run a legal 4 watts.

Go ahead and break the law, you'll never get caught...

Gotta love that way of thinking. It shows true character, or lack thereof!!!

2beers4me

Go ahead and break the law, you'll never get caught...

Gotta love that way of thinking. It shows true character, or lack thereof!!!

My true character is that I'm not a dudley do right. Have you ever knowingly went over the speed limit? Drove without your seatbelt? Your talking about something so small here. A whopping 20 watts of pure unadulterated power to cause havoc over the whole HF spectrum. With the antenna he has, he can probably talk a maximum of 5 miles, if he's lucky.

zzdiesel

In our part of the world the only way the FCC ever got involved in CB was if one of us interfered too much with hams. I don't know that they were ever in our area. We pretty well did what we wanted on our CB's. I ran a Maco 200, 300 and a 750 plus a Phantom 500 at different times for years behind a Cobra 2000.

countywacker

This thread is so funny.... I can hear the FCC now packing into there black suv so they can rush over and pay him a visit because he is transmitting 21 watts over the "full leagal power" of his CB. Ill tell you what Aircargo ill be your look out for them, ill let you know there coming on a pair of 5 watt murs radios...o my god we just broke another law how could we. We are such crimnals.

SCPD

QRT
This thread is so funny.... I can hear the FCC now packing into there black suv so they can rush over and pay him a visit because he is transmitting 21 watts over the "full leagal power" of his CB. Ill tell you what Aircargo ill be your look out for them, ill let you know there coming on a pair of 5 watt murs radios...o my god we just broke another law how could we. We are such crimnals.

Wow! I bet you have about 25 flashing lights on your whacker-mobile too, huh?

If you get busted, just tell them that we need to be looking forward, not back. Its time to just "move on".

If its good enough for Obama's Justice Department, it is good enough for you, too.

ki4rvh

Breaker 19

I got a truck stop tune up from the Golden Screwdriver and now I have Kentucky Fried Radio.

Anybody copy

Anybody............

countywacker

Wow! I bet you have about 25 flashing lights on your whacker-mobile too, huh?

Nope!!! I have had the same and only mini light bar which has been on my truck for nine years. In fact im taking it off due to the magnets rusting off and im NOT replacing it. I dont see how my comment has anything to do with lights???

n9emz

I dont see how my comment has anything to do with lights???

It didn't. Keep in mind, when you feel your undies getting twisted, check the irritant's profile/posts. They're usually "anonymous" individuals with vacuous usernames who will provide you with a good read, but little that's useful or salvageable. I consider situations like this to be the "spice" of the internet that makes it interactive instead of just a dry source of information.

Enjoy and 73.

countywacker

It didn't. Keep in mind, when you feel your undies getting twisted, check the irritant's profile/posts. They're usually "anonymous" individuals with vacuous usernames who will provide you with a good read, but little that's useful or salvageable. I consider situations like this to be the "spice" of the internet that makes it interactive instead of just a dry source of information.

Enjoy and 73.

Wow thanks, ill file this info in the circular file....I never get my panties in a twist, I just love to add to the "spice of the internet" on these types of post to remind people what the reality really is.

No one is gona be beating down on your door if your CB is transmitting over 20 watts over the leagal 4 watt power. Im sorry its just not gona happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.