• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB w/ Walkie Talkie Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsocoee

I'm terribly new to this, so please forgive me. I searched and I came back with nothing (likely due to my lack of knowledge on the technical terms)

I would like to get a CB radio for my truck. Is there a CB that can conduct 2-way communication with those cheap walkie talkies?

I would also like to be able to monitor marine VHF communication from my truck. Is there a combination CB/VHF radio?

N

N_Jay

To my knowledge there are no combined FRS and CB units, nor a CB with VHF receive (Except for some that have the Weather Channels).

lsocoee

OK. Thanks. I had been searching for VHF units that also had CB functionality, but I think they just threw the word "CB" in there somewhere to help with the search engines.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
cb with vhf receiver...

Years ago there was a company that marketed some exotic and interesting cb's.
As much as I dislike cb's there was a company called "handic"
I think they might have been made in sweden,but not sure.
It was easy to spot one because they were bright orange in color,even the mobiles.
This company had one mobile which included a vhf receiver.
N9ZAS.

N

N_Jay

Now that you mention it, I remember those.

Not the VHF one specifically, but they were supposed to be very well made.

a29zuk

I vaguely remember those radios, too.Many of the newer handheld police scanners will allow you to listen to both CB and VHF marine channels. I've used my Icom R-5 for my drive to and from my work location. If there was an accident on the expressway that I didn't hear on the police channels I would switch the radio to CB Channel 19(27.185) to find out what was going on.

Last edited:

tekshogun

That radio does not do FRS exclusively, perhaps only the shared channels.

I think a radio that did FRS and GMRS would be illegal if it could also TX on 11-meter CB, MURS, Marine, or any other radio service.

CB radios are similiarly restricted. If the radio can TX on anything other than the 40 CB channels in 11 meters then it is illegal an illegal device.

lsocoee

That radio does not do FRS exclusively, perhaps only the shared channels.

I think a radio that did FRS and GMRS would be illegal if it could also TX on 11-meter CB, MURS, Marine, or any other radio service.

CB radios are similiarly restricted. If the radio can TX on anything other than the 40 CB channels in 11 meters then it is illegal an illegal device.

Thanks for the links. I stumbled upon these that do FRS and GMRS Cobra - MicroTALK 27-Mile, 22-Channel GMRS/FRS 2-Way Radios (Pair) - LI 7200-2 WX VP

Is there a dumbed down explanation of all these acronyms and what they really mean?

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the links. I stumbled upon these that do FRS and GMRS Cobra - MicroTALK 27-Mile, 22-Channel GMRS/FRS 2-Way Radios (Pair) - LI 7200-2 WX VP

Is there a dumbed down explanation of all these acronyms and what they really mean?

They are different "services." Service meaning that rules apply to the design and use of the radio.
Family Radio Service- cheap, no-license radios. Designs are limited in antenna size, radiated power and channels they use.
GMRS- General Mobile Radio Service. License required. More power allowed in the design. Certain channels.(different from FRS)
MURS- Multiple Use Radio Service. License required (I think). Certain channels. (Different from FRS and GMRS)

Traditional CB- no license required. Design standards apply to radios legal for sale.

For a manufacturer to sell a radio it must meet FCC Type Acceptance. Meaning that it's been tested and works properly as a design for the service it is sold for.
Some radios combine FRS and GMRS since they are very, very close in frequency. Type Acceptance would mean they are legal for either. (I have a Garmin GPS w. radio that will do both)

Traditional CB, being on a very different frequency from FRS is unlikely to ever be combined with FRS or GMRS functionality in a Type Accepted radio.

N

N_Jay

MURS is no license also. (Part-95 Citizens Band).

FRS and GMRS actually share some channels with slightly different rules.

The combining of services in a radio is more about a manufacturers believing there is a market for the combined product than the technical closeness of the bands.

tekshogun

Yup, and that is a great point N_Jay about the manufacturers are the real limitation.

Of course, how useful is a CB radio limited by the rules of FRS?

tekshogun

Doesn't FRS not allow you to change the antenna (must be a fixed antenna)?

I understand having essentially different transmit/receive circuits, one that allows for the half-watt only for FRS and the other for the full 4 watts of CB. True, they could have a separate antenna connector for CB and for GMRS but now we're talking about an awful HT with the potential for intermod from hell.

Of course, I see your point N_Jay.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Of course, how useful is a CB radio limited by the rules of FRS?

I did a side-by-side test using FRS radios and 27 Mhz CB. The 27Mhz setup was a handheld walkie talky working against a mobile setup with magnetic antenna.

27 Mhz was unusable at 1/2 mile line of sight (Summer daytime condx)
FRS was still going strong at 7. LINE OF SIGHT from a dam out to the plains.

FRS is what CB should have been originally.

Astrak

I did a side-by-side test using FRS radios and 27 Mhz CB. The 27Mhz setup was a handheld walkie talky working against a mobile setup with magnetic antenna.

27 Mhz was unusable at 1/2 mile line of sight (Summer daytime condx)
FRS was still going strong at 7. LINE OF SIGHT from a dam out to the plains.

FRS is what CB should have been originally.
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around?

N

N_Jay

Guess it shows just how misleading your outcome can be when you do a poorly structured test.

Hence, why I question many of the "this is better than that" statements.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around?

Are you familiar with summertime conditions on 27 Mhz? 20/S-9 noise levels?

Poorly structured? I dunno. Just seemed like a random day and likely equipment in hand. Would have expected the car antenna with roof center ground plane and 4watts out on 27 Mhz AM would have helped while the stumpy antenna and 1 watt on the handheld would have hurt.

Compared to .25W FM out on each of the FRS with rubber antennas.....

The FRS would have gone further but my Dad got bored standing up there on the dam.
Measured 7 miles line-of-sight using GPS.

OK, don't believe me. Make up your own data.

tekshogun

Agreed with neither is "better" comment. Everything has their use and operate different, granted FRS and GMRS are so closely related, GMRS just happens to allow more flexibility of use, such as repeaters and you have a robust group of setups you can use VS FRS.

FRS technically is a citizens band, just for UHF.

NW0U, I can tell you that your test is certainly flawed. Here is why, the physics behind wave propagation for UHF (and VHF) are far different form that of HF (in this case 11-meter CB). Sure, it is possible to get 7-miles, no obstacles, line of site. But unless you're going to be in LOS all of the time, FRS will have its limitations as every other type of radio service and associated band.

A CB HT is very useless unless you are in extremely close range or there are some localized atmospheric and EM activity going on that will give you some miracle distance. Please note, that a proper antenna for CB use is far larger and more complicated than that of an antenna for HT's.

Line of sight isn't everything. In fact, UHF is terrible when obstacles get in the way. Since repeaters are not allowed for FRS use and the power is so low, the moment obstacles such as buildings, hills, mountains, and other land altering features get in the way, you'll have little or no use, at distance at least. If you want to be able to do a distance communication, you need a decent CB 11-meter setup and even on the MURS (VHF), you have a better chance at following terrain and bending/bouncing off or around obstacles. Certain atmospheric conditions, such as ducting can even pull VHF long distances. With 11-meters, you are more likely to skip over someone 1-mile away and talk to someone, easily, 7 miles away.

Please, if I seem wrong on something, someone correct me.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

OK, don't believe me. Make up your own data.

I believe you, I just question the relevance of the results to be interpreted in any usable way. (Other than, on that day with that equipment, at that location, under those conditions)

Status
Not open for further replies.