• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

uniden pc78elite VRS cobra 29 nw st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
bought my "cobra 29" 6 weeks ago ....works great. im heard very clearly here in ny/nj area. thinking of selling my mobil setup but only ((AFTER)) i would sell and get the...."pc78elite" radio by uniden ....1st!!!

which would YOU rather use if you had both radios?

with shipping,upgrade of antenna,tune ,peak,align and gas to get to cb shop which was a haul...im like up to $115...which isnt bad considering it works GREAT.

took couple weeks to get radio & antenna from ebay...not easy to win stuff cheap,thats y i wouldnt sell my setup till ive tried both units (radios).

what im lQQking 4 now is the wilson 1000......cheapest with shipping new is $70....maaaybe.

2beers4me

Those two radios are very similar, and probably have many of the same parts in them. If you want to upgrade, why not go with a radio with SSB?

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
yea....your correct. but not fimilar with sideband to much..never hear ssb talk or request on the air.

the cobra 148 gtl looks good..in blue

2beers4me

The 148's are nice, but the new ones are not as good as they were in the 90's. Check out a Galaxy DX959, I love mine. The Galaxy is probably not much more money than the 148 ,and it's got a frequency counter if you want to expand the frequency coverage, and open the clarifier. As far as SSB, you can talk at least twice as far. Usually most of the SSB on CB is done between channel 35 - 40, and also above channel 40 is mostly SSB, especially when the DX is rolling. I rarely ever talk on AM when I'm on the base. The people on SSB are for the most part better operators. I guess you could just say it's less riff raff.

Last edited:

kb9sxk

The 148's are nice, but the new ones are not as good as they were in the 90's. Check out a Galaxy DX959, I love mine. The Galaxy is probably not much more money than the 148 ,and it's got a frequency counter if you want to expand the frequency coverage, and open the clarifier. As far as SSB, you can talk at least twice as far. Usually most of the SSB on CB is done between channel 35 - 40, and also above channel 40 is mostly SSB, especially when the DX is rolling. I rarely ever talk on AM when I'm on the base. The people on SSB are for the most part better operators. I guess you could just say it's less riff raff.

Less riff raff?

unlawful operations above 40...the riff raff must be the folks following the law.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
so your saying its almost as busy as am? didnt think it was used like that...whats MOST common channel on ssb....like 19 channel is on most common on am? what most common channel on ssb...above channel 40?

side band is a channel above lets say channel 19, and under channel 19....correct? how does one see or i mean READ channel display......does it appear 19- or 19+

n9emz

Most common CB SSB channel is 38 LSB (27.385 MHz). You could purchase the pre-Uniden model President AR-144 or AX-144 and a W1000 magmount for pretty near what you state you'll be spending for the PC78 with the mods. These rigs are basically a Grant if you pull the covers off, but the Grant will cost you about $50 or so more.

ar144.JPG

The 144s don't come down the pike often so you have to search and be patient.

Good luck and 73.

Last edited:

2beers4me

You want to play on 10M and with more than 4 watts?

Get a ham ticket.

I think I may just do that eventually. The only thing that really stops me is that If I can talk all over the world on 11 meters with 100 watts than why do I want to talk on 10 meters? I think it would be cool to talk on 20 meters, or 75/80 meters, but there is no way in hell I'm studying morse code. That is where the ham radio hobby has pushed people like me away. Talking on a repeater on 2m/70cm, man I'm just getting sleepy even thinking about that. Basically what I'm saying is - If I get my Tech ticket, I am still bound by frequency coverage restrictions, so why get it? I know because I'm breaking the law. Well, It's too late to change some people I guess. If the FCC dropped the CW part of the test I probably would have my extra class, and would never look back at 11 Meters. This is 2009. The hobby needs to change with the times. With all the new technology with radio communications such as Echolink, and PSK for example, it just seems stupid to dwell on old technology like code. I guess the whole code/no code argument is, and has been another topic though.

n9emz

I don't know why I was under that impression. Better late than never I guess. I think I will have to start studying. Thanks for the great info.

Any time....but trust me on this. Elimination of Element 1 has not necessarily proved out to be a blessing for its beneficiaries. Chief to benefit seem to be the 5 wpm HAMs who were previously severely bashed by the "OFs" because the heat's now primarily focused on the "NCs" (No Codes). Cop the ticket and then be prepared to run a gauntlet of abuse.

It's a sad situation and 11M is a warm and fuzzy place compared to what the new licensees are encountering on the Amateur Bands and on HAM web forums such as qrz.com..

By all means, get the ticket....in for a penny, in for a pound. Requires only a few more hours of study for the Extra Class ticket.

Good luck and good radioing, wherever you do it.

2beers4me

Any time....but trust me on this. Elimination of Element 1 has not necessarily proved out to be a blessing for its beneficiaries. Chief to benefit seem to be the 5 wpm HAMs who were previously severely bashed by the "OFs" because the heat's now primarily focused on the "NCs" (No Codes). Cop the ticket and then be prepared to run a gauntlet of abuse.

It's a sad situation and 11M is a warm and fuzzy place compared to what the new licensees are encountering on the Amateur Bands and on HAM web forums such as qrz.com..

By all means, get the ticket....in for a penny, in for a pound. Requires only a few more hours of study for the Extra Class ticket.

Good luck and good radioing, wherever you do it.

So the guys who passed the code when it was mandated are mad about the new hams? Thats a shame. It's sad to see grown folks act like children.

Status
Not open for further replies.