• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dumb question re SWR tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhayduke

Premium Subscriber
I've got a cobra 29 ltd that I'm trying to install in my truck. The Cobra radio has an SWR meeter built-in. You take an SWR reading by setting a switch to the "swr" position, keying the microphone, then reading the meter.

What would cause the SWR meter to peg all the way over to the right without anything connected to the antenna input? I know this would happen if I had a short in my antenna line somewhere, but what would cause that without anything connected to the antenna input?

Last edited:

WA6IGJ

OK

First, save some time and try your manual... if you don't have one the following is general information for SWR testing.

Most 'manual' SWR meters (not the dual meter types) require you to transmit and then 'calibrate' your SWR meter to read 100% in the 'FORWARD' mode.

Now there must be some way to set your SWR meter to read 'REVERSE'. The lower this indication the better because it represents power that didn't make it to the antenna and got 'reflected' back to your transmitter.

It's important to note if you are using a external or standard SWR Meter - a coax jumper is used between your meter and your transmitter... that jumper CHANGES your actual SWR! This especially true for VHF and UHF frequencies. Your best bet is to use a male-to-male (PL-259 to PL-259) connector to get the meter as close to the transmitter as possible!

And by the way, you *NEVER* want to transmit without a decent load on your transmitter! Where is all that power going to go?

Hope this helps

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Both a short and an open are both (theoretically) infinitive SWR, meaning all power sent out is reflected back.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've got a cobra 29 ltd that I'm trying to install in my truck. The Cobra radio has an SWR meeter built-in. You take an SWR reading by setting a switch to the "swr" position, keying the microphone, then reading the meter.

What would cause the SWR meter to peg all the way over to the right without anything connected to the antenna input? I know this would happen if I had a short in my antenna line somewhere, but what would cause that without anything connected to the antenna input?

The same that would happen to your truck motor if you over revved it without a load.
Now instead of thinking mechanical,think electronics and such,treat your SWR meter like your Trucks RPM gauge,
Try to keep your SWR reading at 1.1 or 1.5..........anything over 2.5 your starting to look for smoke,not good.
Don't key up without a load,you will fry your CB like you would over revving your motor,but faster.....way faster...lol.

Hope this Helps.

Last edited:

canav844

First, NEVER KEY WITHOUT AN ANTENNA ATTACHED!!!! It will fry your radio and turn it into a big brick. (takes all the output power that sends your signal miles and pumps it all straight back into the radio itself because it has nothing to radiate it outward, away from the radio.

Setup your antenna,
then flip the switch to CAL,
with door closed, key the mic and
turn the calibration knob (on the talkback knob for my 29LTD chrome) to the calibration mark,
then flip the switch to SWR and
key the mic to get what your SWR reading is.

Anything under 2 and the antenna needs adjusting before you can do any regular transmit, but I'd tinker with it until you're under 1.5

Allan_Love_Jr

SWR Check.

First, NEVER KEY WITHOUT AN ANTENNA ATTACHED!!!! It will fry your radio and turn it into a big brick. (takes all the output power that sends your signal miles and pumps it all straight back into the radio itself because it has nothing to radiate it outward, away from the radio.

Setup your antenna,
then flip the switch to CAL,
with door closed, key the mic and
turn the calibration knob (on the talkback knob for my 29LTD chrome) to the calibration mark,
then flip the switch to SWR and
key the mic to get what your SWR reading is.

Anything under 2 and the antenna needs adjusting before you can do any regular transmit, but I'd tinker with it until you're under 1.5
First start on Channel 40 then switch to Channel 1 for SWR. That's what I was told. Been doing that for well over 15 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.