• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Having trouble finding cb shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkemple1

I live in a small town and we are very limited on cb shops. We only had 2 within at least a 25 mile radius. One of them went out of business, and the other one is only ran 3 hours a day from 7pm to 10pm ( Third shift worker) The man who has the shop is pretty old and I am afraid he isn't going to be open much longer. Is everyone having such a hard time finding a good cb shop or repairman? I was hoping that with the apparent rise in cb use, we would have a few more shops open up. But as of yet, same 'ol dwindling shop.

N

N_Jay

What do you need a shop for.

I assume most CB's are disposable items like most consumer electronics.

dkemple1

Well, for one thing I purchased a cb the other day off of ebay, and it didn't have the power cord with it and I went radio shack to find one, and they are about worthless anymore, also a good while ago, I was looking for a new antenna, and I really don't like to order things off of the internet PLUS I would rather support my local stores if I can. Plus, you can always ask questions at a shop.

zzdiesel

We used to have CB radio shops around here in just about every small town or hole in the road. I guess the one in Southhaven Ms just south of Memphis would be our closest shop now.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have to order all my radio stuff off the internet or drive 150 miles to either ARS or R&L. 25 miles is nothing! I need to go that far to get lumber.

n9emz

Isn't Don Terry's son still running Don's shop in town? Don't worry about "Bad Bob" and WGS....he's going to be around forever. There's good shops in Louisville, Indy, Terre Haute, and over in IL for repair service. I consider all of them local and I'm willing to travel.

There's some truth to the "disposable" comment and those that I classify as such just hit my parts bin/junk pile when they crap out.

trace1

I live in a small town and we are very limited on cb shops. We only had 2 within at least a 25 mile radius. One of them went out of business, and the other one is only ran 3 hours a day from 7pm to 10pm ( Third shift worker) The man who has the shop is pretty old and I am afraid he isn't going to be open much longer. Is everyone having such a hard time finding a good cb shop or repairman? I was hoping that with the apparent rise in cb use, we would have a few more shops open up. But as of yet, same 'ol dwindling shop.

Learn the trade, open a shop of your own, make tons of money since there is an "apparent rise in cb use"... ;)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe just get a different one? They're a dime a dozen!

pliquett

Finding a CB shop is not the problem. Finding someone you can trust and knows what they are doing is the trick. In most larger citys there are at least 1 or more shops that advertise on 19, but that means your CB must be working to hear them.

n9emz

I was told the other day that Terry's shop has closed, I have gone by there several times and he is always closed.

Didn't know that about Terry's. I need parts, I go to WGS if I can't wait on mail order (usually from Walcott because of selection and fast service). I work 6p-6a shifts also....Bob's open every night but Saturday and is convenient.

Closest truckstop shop is Seymour, Exit 50 on I-65. If a radio costs say $150 or less, I consider it "disposable" because when I blow something up it usually entails repairs close enough to replacement cost which makes replacement the best option. Flipside is, I have some pricey/old stuff that sometimes needs work. Solid state stuff goes to CBR in Terre Haute and retro tube stuff goes to Nomad (Louisville) or Fixr in Parker City, IN. These are the shops I've dealt with going back 10 years or more.

An FYI....Rainmaker's supposedly on the way back to our area.

dkemple1

Rainmaker ? Not sure what/who that is. You are like me, we are not real close to anything really. Bob is the one I have been dealing with.

n9emz

Rainmaker's a local tech that had a following, who got married and moved out to the extreme Northwest a couple of years ago. It's being bandied about that the move didn't work out and he's moving back to Brownstown, Medora, Bedford, or somewhere in the area.

There's still some excellent bench guys around who don't operate shops, but they're particular about whose equipment they'll service. Used to be more than you could shake a stick at, but they've either moved on or got tired of the 11M BS.

Bottom line is, if you have something actually worth saving/repairing/restoring, Nomad, CBR, and Fixr are the ones I recommend.

Good luck and 73.

stiletto

CB Goods

You can find stuff at TA Travel Centers
TravelCenters of America LLC - The one stop for all your travel needs.

IN Clayton I-70 & State Road 39, Exit 59
IN Gary I-80/ I-94, Exit 6, Burr St.
IN Lake Station I-80/ I-94, Exit 15B
IN Porter I-94, Exit 22B
IN Seymour I-65 & S.R. 50, Exit 50
IN Whitestown I-65, State Road 334, Exit 130

zcapri

most major interstates or major highways have plenty of them, at the truck stops. most have signs out front with the cb channel they moniter. the truckers have to have their communications, so find the truckers and find the cb shops. in this area of tennessee, along interstate 40, i know of at least 10 full time shops. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.