• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SWR Tuning Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

Hi Guys:

Looking for some advice/feedback on an SWR tuning issue I'm currently having. I'm seeing a very wide SWR reading swing between channels on my Uniden CB. On channel 1, I have an SWR of approximately 1.1. On channel 19 it's approximately 2.1 and on channel 40 it's over 3. No matter how much I raise/lower the anetnna whip, I just can't seem to get a consistent 1 to 1.5 SWR across all the channels as recommended. I'm using a brand new SWR Micronta meter for the SWR tuning.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or whether I might have an issue with the CB or antenna?

Thanks in advance!

NYRHKY94

The cable length is the one that came with the antenna (Liliitle Wilson magnet mount). It's approximately 15' long with a standard PL259 on the end.

What length is the jumper you are using between the radio AND your SWR meter; not the coax length to the antenna.

The length of coax and jumpers should not matter. Based on the curve you are getting, you need to shorten the antenna to bring it close to resonance at channel 20. Try adjusting it as short as you can get it, and post the new results. You might actually have to trim the whip a little if you are still showing long. But you shouldn't have to.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's unlikely you'll get a "flat" SWR reading across the board, the important thing is to get it as low as possible in the center of the band. Lengthening the whip lowers it on lower channels and shortening it makes it lower on he higher ones so with that in mind you know whether to make it longer or shorter, check it on the band edges and shoot for lowest the middle.

You may have to snap off a bit of rod from the bottom end, cut a groove with a hacksaw or file and snap it with two pair of pliers. Just a LITTLE at a time, no more than say about a quarter of an inch, if you make it too short you're screwed.

It doesn't matter how long the jumper between the radio and the meter is, both will be removed when you're finished so when you connect the coax directly the reading you got is what the transmitter will see.

Before performing major surgery on your antenna; if possible temporarly set the antenna in the middle of the roof with no large metallic objects nearby, then re-check your SWR. The easiest way to trim the whip is nick it with a file or a bench grinder then snap it with a pair of pliers; a hacksaw will not nick the whip.

JayMojave

Hello NYRHK94:

These little Will Wilson Antennas are a very short antenna meaning they will not have a very useable bandwidth. The SWR measurements sound about normal for that type of antenna. I have taken those antennas apart only to throw them in the trash. But they will work for a shorter low performance antenna. But the Wilson 1000 or 5000 is a much better antennas.

Coax length will show different SWR measurements when the antenna design is allowed to radiated RF Energy down the coax. This is seen many times in mobile antenna installations when not enough ground plane is used.

I'd say what you have is what you have the top whip length adjustments to the Little Will Antenna will show insignificant changes in SWR and performance.

Hope this helps.

Jay in the Mojave

NYRHKY94

Guys:

Thanks to all for their feedback & advice! This site has so many helpful folks on it. I did move the Little Wilson Mag Mount around to different locations on the trunk (my preferred set-up) and sure enough there was a difference in SWR readings. By moving the antenna about 3" back from the upper trunk lip (centered near the back window), my SWR readings on both channel 1 & channel 20 were in the 1.2 range. Channel 40 was still high at 2.7 or so. Acceptable for my minimal use (i.e. traffic reports).

P.S. I took the plunge on a Wilson 1000 a couple days ago and it should arrive today. I also purchased the Wilson short load replacement whip to go along with it, as I do have a height issue with the garage. Once I have the 1000 installed, I'll take some SWR readings with both the 62" whip and short load and see what I get.

Thanks again guys!

ERICMYERS

super basic concept, but not addressed yet.

calibrate out in the open, like the middle of a large parking lot, not in the garage.
Eric

rescuecomm

I use a small set of bolt cutters to trim antenna whips. Just remember everyone around needs safety glasses on when you cut. The small piece becomes a fierce ballistic.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.