• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Interference - Engine Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

drock2

Premium Subscriber
If I use my CB while driving I seem to pick up engine noise through the speaker. Both the radio and antenna are grounded. The CB isn't wired directly to the battery, which I've heard could be a problem. I've also seen filters. What would be my best bet for fixing the problem?

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If I use my CB while driving I seem to pick up engine noise through the speaker. Both the radio and antenna are grounded. The CB isn't wired directly to the battery, which I've heard could be a problem. I've also seen filters. What would be my best bet for fixing the problem?

The solution is to put a "Choke Filter" in line on the positive power feed.

I was able to get information on the WWW about this filter.......The NF-20 is one of the best DC power line filters on the market today. Better than the filters offered by the big chain stores. Handles up to 10 amps at 16 VDC maximum.

Tech Tip: If you plan to use this filter with a CB radio, you should test to make sure that the noise is actually coming through the power line. Simply disconnect the coax from the radio. If the noise disappears, the noise is coming from your antenna and a power line noise filter will not help you. If the noise remains after disconnecting the antenna from the radio, the NF20 should work for you.

I hope this helps.

DX949

Banned
Thanks for the help. I'll have to try it out with the antenna disconnected.

Right on dude !.......just be careful not to key the mic with your antenna disconnected :)

klogd

if you find the noise is coming thru the antenna, then take a look at k0bg.com site for tips on grounding (bonding) etc, to reduce your noise.

gewecke

Banned
Opinions will vary on this,but another option would be to supply power to the radio direct from the battery using shielded cable such as a length of rg58. the center conductor to pos. and shield to ground of course.
I don't suggest using your vehicle's fuse block,because that can introduce the noise you're hearing. Although a filter as mentioned could be used too,good shielding often cures or reduces the problem.
N9ZAS.

DX949

Banned
Opinions will vary on this,but another option would be to supply power to the radio direct from the battery using shielded cable such as a length of rg58. the center conductor to pos. and shield to ground of course.
I don't suggest using your vehicle's fuse block,because that can introduce the noise you're hearing. Although a filter as mentioned could be used too,good shielding often cures or reduces the problem.
N9ZAS.

Holy Cow !...no rope and use it as a boat anchor reply to fix his noise problem ? lol, just kidding

Allan_Love_Jr

You should post.....
DO NOT push the PTT Mike when the Antenna cable is disconnected from the Radio. That is a no no. You could severely damage your Antenna transmitter and the Radio. I found out the hard way.

drock2

Premium Subscriber
Just finished rewiring the radio. It was getting power from the cigarette lighter so I wired it directly to the battery. What a world of difference! Thanks for all the pointers. That k0bg.com website is great too.

DX949

Banned
Now the question is how to get rid of all that noise with the antenna connected? (;->)

Are you talking about the SQ noise ? If so, all you have to do is turn the knob to the left till it goes away :0)

JayMojave

Hello Drock2:

Look up the ARRL RFI Book, it covers many RFI and EMI Interference issues. Its at:
ARRLWeb: ARRL Product Catalog

Most good radios will have a NB (Noise Blanker) on the radio that does a good job reducing some pulse type noises. Wiring the radio to the Battery is a good call. Both polarities.

Hope this helps

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.