• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland 1001Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

cja1987

Premium Subscriber
Looking for opinions...

Midland® Compact 1001Z 40-Channel CB Radio - RadioShack.com

Is this decent, read positive reviews so far. Not looking for anything fancy or Id be looking at something else. I will probably just buy it at RS and be done, want a CB for 9 days from now when I drive from MA to UT.

What should I do for an antenna? Thinking Wilson 1000, thoughts? Would be mounting on a Jeep Cherokee, should I do roof mount or a mag mount? Will roof mount perform better than mag mount?

I know I need to tune the antenna.

Looking to throw this together fairly fast.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/opinions.

vzfarms

Just remember that $1 of antenna is worth $10 of radio. The radio is probably decent and should perform just fine for what you are trying to do. Mag mounts are generally frowned upon on this site. CB likes the biggest ground plane (horizontal metal surface) it can get so keep that in mind.

That radio is a fine entry level AM only CB. The Wilson 1000 is a great antenna. Magmount will usually work just fine, but a hard mount is almost always better.

I have a 1001z and I think you would love it. It is very easy to set up and I have gotten a 3-5 mile range using an old Cobra mag-mount on a cookie sheet(not the best setup, but it does work). The farthest I have gotten was almost 8 miles(mounted on trunk). I have always gotten a loud and clear from the locals.

Now remember, the radio does play a part in performance but the antenna can make or break you. Terrain also plays a part(I live on a hill) as well as weather and atmospheric conditions.

So yeah, the 1001z is a good choice, and the wilson 1000 seems like it would be more than enough.

cja1987

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies!

Ended up biting the bullet and ordering a Uniden PC68xl, we'll see how it goes.

I got the antenna just waiting for the radio to show up.

Thanks for the replies!

Ended up biting the bullet and ordering a Uniden PC68xl, we'll see how it goes.

I got the antenna just waiting for the radio to show up.

DONT SCREW WITH THE INSIDES AND YOU WON"T BE DISAPPOINTED. I've owned one for almost 4 years and used it for emergency communications work (channel 9) and it really works great for a 4 watt mobile. Get a KLV KEV-27 preamplifier ( KEV 27 PREAMP WEB SPECIAL ) to boost the receive and you're set.

Status
Not open for further replies.