• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Recommend mobile CB antenna top-mount with wire out bottom center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwheelz

I am currently running a K30 mini-mag antenna. I had to drill a hole to get the wire out anyway, so using the mag-mount doesn't make much sense. I am looking for a permanent mount antenna, I believe the "top mount" style would work best, but I specifically want one where the wire comes out the bottom center of the mount. For instance, I looked at the K40 antenna at radioshack, and even though it is top-mount, the wire comes out the side of the thing. Here is a pic of what I am looking for (not an artist!):

http://www.moroccangoldimports.com/MGI/cb antenna.JPG

I have searched on here and the Wilson 1000 seems to get good recommendations. I cannot seem to find an image of how the top mount model mounts- as in does the wire come out the bottom center of the mount...?

Suggestions? I am stuck using a shorty antenna as 5 ft just won't work on the top of my STI.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
IF you want a good setups, get an "NMO hole mount" with a PL259 connector. You can get NMO antennas in the CB range. That's what my setup is and it blows your typical CB junk antennas out of the water.

TheJerk

The Wilson trunk/roof mount (you remove the trunk "base" to make the through-roof mount) simply mounts in a hole in the roof. The coax is under the roof, between the roof and headliner, and completely inside. I believe it takes a 3/4" hole to mount?

It uses a PL259-type connector for the antenna (uses a standard base load Wilson 1000/5000 antenna).

Allan_Love_Jr

Ya, but one thing you must realize is, is distance. Ho far out do you want to get out. If distance isn't a big thing that you don't care for. Then place it any where on your car other than the roof. But if you want "True" distance. Then the "Center" of your roof is your best bet.

kc4wwu

Roof Mount CB Antenna

I have to agree, the Wilson 500/1000/5000 is probably one of the best antennas out there, along with K-40 as far as through the roof antennas. I personally think the 102" whip is the best, but probably not for on the roof of a car.. haha. I am not sure if the Wilson is an NMO mount or not, but they do have a permanant through the roof mount style antenna. Look to spend about $60 - $80 for it.

73, Pete
K4QHR

Allan_Love_Jr

102" Whip.

I have to agree, the Wilson 500/1000/5000 is probably one of the best antennas out there, along with K-40 as far as through the roof antennas. I personally think the 102" whip is the best, but probably not for on the roof of a car.. haha. I am not sure if the Wilson is an NMO mount or not, but they do have a permanant through the roof mount style antenna. Look to spend about $60 - $80 for it.

73, Pete
K4QHR
I agree with you 100%. Nothing can't beat the 102" Whip. Even though I have had a K40 for well over 15 years now.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you want an antenna that will meet your requirements then try the Larsen NMO 27S.
Keep in mind it is a hole mount antenna but it is fed through the base of the antenna.
N9ZAS

TheJerk

I have both a roof mounted Wilson 1000 and a Wilson 5000, these are the through-roof mounts, not the magnetics...

They work better than their magnet-mount counterparts. They transmit better and receive better than the magnetics. And they can be screwed off and capped if not needed.

gewecke

Banned
I have a Larsen NMO CB antenna on my work vehicle, and it works great for me.

Exactly. If you look at larsen's long standing reputation and years in the industry and compare that to Wilson...then it's clear that larsen stands alone as the choice. These offer the removable options also.
But on the other hand,if you like SIZE and an otherwise high profile antenna which will scream out CB then maybe that's the one? Just two observations which come to mind here.
N9ZAS

DX949

Banned
Exactly. If you look at larsen's long standing reputation and years in the industry and compare that to Wilson...then it's clear that larsen stands alone as the choice. These offer the removable options also.
But on the other hand,if you like SIZE and an otherwise high profile antenna which will scream out CB then maybe that's the one? Just two observations which come to mind here.
N9ZAS

But on the other hand ...................Go with the Wilson,I had the larsen and it was junk,it is now residing next to Davy Jones locker.

The Ultimate Guide to 11 Meter CB Antennas

gewecke

Banned
I had the wilson...it made a good back scratcher,lol!
N9ZAS

I knew somebody that once had a 102 mounted top center of vw bug. He looked like a rc car going down the road.

Kinda reminds me of a friend from back home. He had a ragged out Toyota Celica, and mounted his 102" whip in the back center of his bumper.

I love the K40 I've had. Bought it new back in 1992 and still going strong. I even have the mag mount for it when I need to switch trucks, but that hardly happens.

I miss the 102" whip I had, with a 4" flourescent bulb fastened with electrical tape near the top (the whip was fiberglas and stiff). Key up and make the light turn on....

The long whip IS the way to go, since no matching or tuning is required, but the older Larsen style NMO mount antennas worked great on the CB band too, and could handle up to 200 watts easily...

If you can find one, the Spectrum brand of antenna from Motorola works well on CB. They had a version for the 29-39 MHz range, just find a slightly longer whip and trim to tune and you're good to go. I had one of those and a low lying tree limb got it one night. Haven't been able to find one since. The heavy duty spring was good too.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
I never had a 102" but a buddy did,and I swear he took an evil pleasure from taking out overhead lights and dinging signs! Forgot to mention it was on a toolbox on a ram 3500 4x4!
N9ZAS

DX949

Banned
Kinda reminds me of a friend from back home. He had a ragged out Toyota Celica, and mounted his 102" whip in the back center of his bumper.

I love the K40 I've had. Bought it new back in 1992 and still going strong. I even have the mag mount for it when I need to switch trucks, but that hardly happens.

I miss the 102" whip I had, with a 4" flourescent bulb fastened with electrical tape near the top (the whip was fiberglas and stiff). Key up and make the light turn on....

The long whip IS the way to go, since no matching or tuning is required, but the older Larsen style NMO mount antennas worked great on the CB band too, and could handle up to 200 watts easily...

If you can find one, the Spectrum brand of antenna from Motorola works well on CB. They had a version for the 29-39 MHz range, just find a slightly longer whip and trim to tune and you're good to go. I had one of those and a low lying tree limb got it one night. Haven't been able to find one since. The heavy duty spring was good too.

Yep....cant beat the good old 102'' whip.

Status
Not open for further replies.