• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Channel 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ4HPV

Okay, So I always run my cb on channel 9 while in the car to listen for emergencies. I am usually on the home 2 meter repeater, so I listen to channel 9. How many other folks monitor channel 9? What are people's thoughts on this??

2beers4me

In the age of the cell phone most agencies stopped monitoring channel 9 along time ago. I hear people just chit chatting there all the time, mostly mexicans. Maybe in certain parts of the country it is still monitored. Where I live in the Chicago area you could call on 9 until your blue in the face, and I doubt you would get any kind of help.

hockeyshrink

thoughts

Okay, So I always run my cb on channel 9 while in the car to listen for emergencies. I am usually on the home 2 meter repeater, so I listen to channel 9. How many other folks monitor channel 9? What are people's thoughts on this??

How many emergencies have you handled through CB9?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Years ago I handled several minor accident calls and motorist assist calls,but pretty much nothing before I got rid of the cb in 92'. I was a member of our local react team,but gave it up when no one wanted to continue with training from our public safety pro's.
N9ZAS.

Signal45

Here in SC, the state troopers, I believe, don't have CB's in their units anymore. I think around 10 yrs ago is when they started DC'ing the CB's in the new patrol cars?

KJ4HPV

I haven't ever heard any emergencies on 9, but if someone needs my help, I'm listening

hockeyshrink

I was a public safety dispatcher in the late 70's, as cb was starting to wind down. We had a cb in the dispatch center and monitored 9. Even then, I can count on 1 hand the number of calls I had on the cb for help. I think it is highly unlikely today anyone would use a cb to call for help, and even more unlikely to find it.

It's a statistical thing. What is the probability of receiving a call for help on cb9 when there are so few cb operators to begin with, and probably all of them are equipped with a cell phone? The low "base rate" of operators, also creates an even lower number of channel 9 monitors. Therefore, the probability of someone having an emergency, using cb9 to call for help, and having it received is very very small.

BUT, I hope if someone does, they are within a couple miles of you! :)

Like you, perhaps. I am more interested in ham or GMRS now, which are not served by anything like an "emergency" channel. However, one reason I use ham radio is to have the potential of reaching help by radio if I am somewhere the cell phones do not reach, like in a national park. You have to do the research to know what bands and freqs are active or monitored.

I guess truck drivers will always use the old "Class D" citizen's radio service, but I think it has long outlived any general public interest, IMHO

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I was an active REACT member back in the 1970s and handled lots of calls on CB channel 9. I have the channel programmed on my scanners, believe it or not, but don't hear much traffic (I lock it out when the skip is in).

While cell phones are better for most people, I have one of those too; there are still plenty of places without cell phone coverage. I was out in the middle of nowhere last weekend, on the top of a mountain at 7000', my scanners going strong, but NO cell coverage.

I remember an incident a couple of decades ago now where I had no cell and tried to get help via CB channel 9. I ended up walking a couple of miles to a pay phone. Now with pay phones gone, there is a huge void out there where nothing less than a sat-phone would seem to summon help.

Allan_Love_Jr

With everyone using those peace of crap cell phones anymore. No one ever is using that Channel anymore. The FCC states that Channel 9 is to be used for emergency's only. But in this day of cell phones. Channel 9 is just another chit chat channel. I always hear those Mexicans talking on it all the time. So.....
Channel 9 is dead!

DX949

Banned
Years ago I handled several minor accident calls and motorist assist calls,but pretty much nothing before I got rid of the cb in 92'. I was a member of our local react team,but gave it up when no one wanted to continue with training from our public safety pro's.
N9ZAS.

I don't blame them...3/4 of them "public safety pro's' are all wannabe's masquerading has cops or God know's what !

DX949

Banned
N9ZAS.

Do you have a suit and hat like the guy in the Video gewecky ?

YouTube - Join REACT International

gewecke

Banned
No. Our team was very professional. We did NOT run around like a bunch of whackers with lights hanging off every orifice of our vehicles! We primarily did I.D. checks at local public events and beer gardens,working directly with LEO's,assisting with parking,and providing security. We had 1 registered nurse,two licensed emt's,several hams and off duty LEO's among our ranks.
White pro uniform shirts,black tact. bdu's were our standard uniforms. Several of our members were trained by our local pd in the carry and use of chemical restraints and radio etiquette,as well as scope of authority.
So no...we were definitely not whackers,but an extension of our public safety community. We received several awards and commendations by public officials,news coverage,donations for equipment,etc.
N9ZAS.

DX949

Banned
No. Our team was very professional. We did NOT run around like a bunch of whackers with lights hanging off every orifice of our vehicles! We primarily did I.D. checks at local public events and beer gardens,working directly with LEO's,assisting with parking,and providing security. We had 1 registered nurse,two licensed emt's,several hams and off duty LEO's among our ranks.
White pro uniform shirts,black tact. bdu's were our standard uniforms. Several of our members were trained by our local pd in the carry and use of chemical restraints and radio etiquette,as well as scope of authority.
So no...we were definitely not whackers,but an extension of our public safety community. We received several awards and commendations by public officials,news coverage,donations for equipment,etc.
N9ZAS.
WOW !!! keep up the good work.

gewecke

Banned
Our team met it's demise due to the older members not being willing to undergo the needed continued training to stay current with public safety protocol. To continue service with them would be a liability,at least that's the way I felt. I think there's other react teams dealing with the same thing around the country.
N9ZAS.

DX949

Banned
Our team met it's demise due to the older members not being willing to undergo the needed continued training to stay current with public safety protocol. To continue service with them would be a liability,at least that's the way I felt. I think there's other react teams dealing with the same thing around the country.
N9ZAS.

Hmmmmmmmm..............Are you sure you didn't get kicked out of the team ?............just kidding :0)

gewecke

Banned
Nope,just got fed up with being one of the few members left still willing to train. If I would have stayed then I would have been booted,because I surely would have SNAPPED!
N9ZAS

trace1

Can't say that I monitor Ch. 9 or would monitor Ch. 9. It would seem that CB isn't being used that much around where I'm at even though there is an Interstate and 2 major US/State highways in close vicinity.

Now of course Ch. 19 is filled with so much muckty-muck that it is impossible to monitor on a continuous manner. However there is a near by grocery distribution warehouse that uses Ch. 8 to "check-in" the trucks at the Security Gate.

There is this one female Security Guard that goes off the deep-end when the trucks don't park where they are supposed to and she will start SCREAMING at them...

Now that is entertainment!!! (Well sort of.)

Also heard once on Ch. 8 someone from that very same distribution center tell another person to GET OFF the channel because it was a COMPANY FREQUENCY. (Gotta love that one.)

emd001

i was stuck one night a couple years ago in a ditch on a road with no cell phone coverage. The car i swerved to miss didnt stop so i called out on channel 9 and 19 for over an hour. My buddy then drove by looking for me wondering what had happened and heard me on channel 19. Channel 9 as far as i know is no good anymore.

2beers4me

i was stuck one night a couple years ago in a ditch on a road with no cell phone coverage. The car i swerved to miss didnt stop so i called out on channel 9 and 19 for over an hour. My buddy then drove by looking for me wondering what had happened and heard me on channel 19. Channel 9 as far as i know is no good anymore.

Yeah, if CB was my only way out of a jam I would say screw 9. Without a doubt in my mind, I would be calling on 19 for help like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.