• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Microphones Make a Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running a few barefoot CB's (my father's old JC Penney 23-channel CB, my Uniden PC68XL, and my current Cobra 18 WX ST II) with just a Wilson 1000 for the past five years or so, but I've never really had good enough signal to have conversations with people. Now I've seen microphones advertised like Astatic mics that are supposed to be beneficial to the radio setup. What I'm wondering is do fancy microphones really make much difference? I know I've always heard the best way to get good signal is a twelve-foot whip from Radio Shack and an illegal amplifier, but the whip would look ridiculous on my Crown Victoria and I'm not really into illegal stuff. Ideas? Thanks.

n5ims

Yes, the heavily amplified microphones are very important in creating the three or four channel wide splatter caused by excessive modulation. The echo effect microphones also help to increase the use of 10-9 and "please repeat" as well as "what the #$#@ did you just say". These accessories are also important in increasing the profits of the folks selling them since most of them are just cheap pieces of junk that are sold for pretty high $$$.

Without being face-to-face with you it's a little difficult determining the nature of your sarcasm, but it's dually noted. I understand that a lot of companies manufacture cheap microphones and make great claims, but sarcasm aside, are there actually microphones that enhance signal at all, or is the idea pure nonsense in general?

2beers4me

Yes, the heavily amplified microphones are very important in creating the three or four channel wide splatter caused by excessive modulation. The echo effect microphones also help to increase the use of 10-9 and "please repeat" as well as "what the #$#@ did you just say". These accessories are also important in increasing the profits of the folks selling them since most of them are just cheap pieces of junk that are sold for pretty high $$$.

If he is running a legal station I don't see him doing much splattering, unless you are down the street. hmm,I must have missed the part where he asked about an echo mic. An amplified mic can, and will help people hear you through the noise level. You don't have to run it full out to be loud like some people do. A nice handheld D-104 would do him some good.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you sound the same on air as you do in person you have a good microphone. If you sound like you're in a cave gargling razor blades and battery acid ask yourself if you need a proper microphone or corrective surgery.

Sarcasm aside, distortion, tonal coloration and especially echo and weird noises detract from rather than enhance communications effectiveness, a smooth, natural sound is preferable being easy on the ears. This is especially true when there is garbage on the channel to begin with, listeners don't need nor do they want more junk to contend with, normal listeners that is don't want to strain to pick you out of noise of your own creation.

As an aside, if you think you need a power mic and leenyar to get out what you really need is to steer clear of the ones who think they need power mics and leenyars to get out. In other words there must be a clear channel somewhere on the band where you can talk in peace.

TheJerk

If he is running a legal station I don't see him doing much splattering, unless you are down the street. hmm,I must have missed the part where he asked about an echo mic. An amplified mic can, and will help people hear you through the noise level. You don't have to run it full out to be loud like some people do. A nice handheld D-104 would do him some good.

Exactly...a radio, with its AMC circuit intact, will only modulate to a point (an prior to becoming distorted). Distortion is typically due to a golden screwdriver molesting a radio (jacking the power level up so the final is driven into saturation, disabling the AMC, etc.), not from a microphone change.

The OPs original post was about an "Astatic", which are typically noise canceling (not amplifying). If you have a very noisy environment, they are very beneficial. I have found that the Astatics are good, and don't suppress as much as the TelexTurner RK56, which is a good thing depending on the radio, and your voice.

I run RK56 on two of my radios (a president Washington and a Uniden grant) and an Astatic on my 3rd (a Galaxy DX959)...I found that this is the best combination in my case (they sound the best this way).

Now there are other "amplified" noise canceling mics...the Skythumper DX65 and Peddler NC431 come to mind...they do affect the "loudness" and the sound quality suffers. I did run a Cobra "Power" Mic at one time (before I knew better)...these take a 9-volt battery and they do make you louder, but they are simply "defeating" the AMC circuit by over driving it.

If you have a quality mic, and the modulation is at 100%, you don't need anything. If you can find a good shop, they can put a good tune in for you, but that's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

2beers4me

Exactly...a radio, with its AMC circuit intact, will only modulate to a point (an prior to becoming distorted). Distortion is typically due to a golden screwdriver molesting a radio (jacking the power level up so the final is driven into saturation, disabling the AMC, etc.), not from a microphone change.

The OPs original post was about an "Astatic", which are typically noise canceling (not amplifying). If you have a very noisy environment, they are very beneficial. I have found that the Astatics are good, and don't suppress as much as the TelexTurner RK56, which is a good thing depending on the radio, and your voice.

I run RK56 on two of my radios (a president Washington and a Uniden grant) and an Astatic on my 3rd (a Galaxy DX959)...I found that this is the best combination in my case (they sound the best this way).

Now there are other "amplified" noise canceling mics...the Skythumper DX65 and Peddler NC431 come to mind...they do affect the "loudness" and the sound quality suffers. I did run a Cobra "Power" Mic at one time (before I knew better)...these take a 9-volt battery and they do make you louder, but they are simply "defeating" the AMC circuit by over driving it.

If you have a quality mic, and the modulation is at 100%, you don't need anything. If you can find a good shop, they can put a good tune in for you, but that's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it the ALC??

Big_Ears

I've heard alot of stations who ran those Turner +2,+3 desk mics and they sounded loud and clean without the splatter-effect to the adjacent channels. I believe that the audio compession circuitry does a nice job, unless the screwdriver wizzard removes the limiting transistor.

Checkerboard

Yes, but not the Chinese crap ones...

Get yourself a quality mike like a Turner M+3 or Turner Road King 60, 70,or 76. They use amplification and compression, and a very pure element, to create a strong and clear modulation. They are around on eBay from time to time, sometimes new old stock. A good one will cost from 75 to 125 dollars but they're indestructible and powerful enough to drive any of the older radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.