• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Base Antenna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Q6412

I live in a community that doesn't allow antennas. A couple things.

Correct me if I'm wrong But I suspect a car radio type antenna (Wilson) would not be effective unless mounted on something metal so that wouldn't be good at home.

I would prefer a good half wave Base antenna with no radials that I could crank up and down as needed.
In the old days I had a 5/8 wave length vert - worked great but had 3 ground plane radials - so that wouldn't work

The simple question is What type antenna would be best for my circumstances?

2beers4me

Correct me if I'm wrong But I suspect a car radio type antenna (Wilson) would not be effective unless mounted on something metal so that wouldn't be good at home.

I would prefer a good half wave Base antenna with no radials that I could crank up and down as needed.
In the old days I had a 5/8 wave length vert - worked great but had 3 ground plane radials - so that wouldn't work

If you have some trees you could try hiding a half wave dipole antenna. It would be a better dx antenna than local, but would beat having to set it up, and take down all the time. It would be cheap to build, or buy. The Wilson would not work out unless you had a metal roof, or big metal object to put it on. Depending how far your parking space from the house is, you could always run enough coax to the car for a temporary solution.

Last edited:
1/2 wave coaxial type antenna hidden in a fiberglass flag pole.

want to work 160-6 then a long wire up a fiberglass flag pole with buried ground radials and a tuner at the base.

lots of possibilities for a hidden antenna. all depends on how anal the RF police are where you live.

freqs

I found something at copper electronics.com ita a bolcony antenna its only 3ft handles 100 watts $37.95 may not be what you are looking for but is another option to look at.

They work good. they must be installed properly. the coax needs to be cut in multiples of 1/2 wave length about 17ft depending on velocity factor of the cable. other wise you get high swr reading even if the actual antenna has good swr. Don't bother trying to run 100 watts into it as it won't take it. i would say 25 watts rms max. probably 75 watts peak.

they over rate these things as far as power handling.

also use LMR series cable.

Last edited:
I'll reccommend what was reccommended to me. I was told that it would work if you ground mount an A99 on a post or something, then it could be taken out when not in use-leaving only the post. I live on a hill so antenna height isn't really an issue, but I don't know about your situation. I haven't gotten an A99 yet I was just telling what was said to me.

zzdiesel

I lived in some apartments in 1984 where antennas were strictly against the rules. They had clothes lines out behind the buildings. They used steel wires on steel posts. I mounted a 102" steel whip on one of the posts. The clothes line wires served as the ground plane. I could slide the wires to adjust the SWR that I connected to the ground braid on the coax. I had the standing wave down to a 1.3 on that rig.

2Q6412

Back to Auto style

Since all the suggestions would be difficult, if I go with an Auto style like a Wilson mounted on the corner of the my roof, Would it work efficiently? There would with limited metal except maybe a gutter.

Again correct to those type antennas make use of the cars metal for ground plane effect?

hockeyshrink

The only problem with the A99 is that it's 18' tall...that's a helluva umbrella. I think the "Patriot" is only 12' and is white fiberglass. If you are going to put something outside anyway, you still have the steel blade with the Wilson to deal with.

A dipole in the trees is good, but the best cb "stealth" antenna I have some across that does not require a ground plane is the Workman Saturn B100. It's short, black, and it actually works pretty well. You will not have quite the performance of an A99 or Patriot, but you will have a good anenna that is barely noticeable if mounted in the right place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BASE-ANTENNA-Sm...in_0?hash=item5ad3fd4c55&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

PS: Oh yeah, there is this Firestik "Indoor" antenna, which is just a 5' Firestik whip mounted on a fabricated ground plane assembly. This would be good in an attic if all else fails.

http://www.claysradioshop.com/citizensband_firestick_IBA5.htm

My recommendations in order:
1. A99 - best, but most conspicuous
2. Patriot - Very good, but almost as conspicuous as A99
3. Dipole in tree
4. Workman Saturn B100 - stealth, good performance, outdoor mounting
5 & 6 tie. Any mobile outside or IBA5 in attic

All IMHO

PPS: I would NOT want to hump that A99 up and down, in and out. I have mounted it twice and I don't want to touch it again until I move.

Last edited:

2Q6412

Thanks

I think there is enough there to digest all in summary form.

First indications have me leaning to the Workman B100.

Thanks Again

Sandy

PS Maybe you can tell by my call sign, I actually had a CB license - once upon a time.
If I still had it, I'd frame it. And what motivated me to resurrect my interest in CB is an
Internet article Survival Radio 101 (SURVIVAL RADIO 101)

When I get it fired up after 30+ years, it will be interesting to see who is out there.

I have heavily considered a B100, so if you get one please post on here or pm to let me know how well it works. I guess it really boils down to range vs. noticeability.

Good luck with it, and I hope the locals in your area are helpful.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
i would avoid those b100 unless as a last resort

they are garbage

all they are is a tuned dummy load

coax length is very critical for this antenna

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

How is it your entire community doesn't allow antennas AT ALL? Who is the culprit to tell you this,better yet how is this worded? Does this include amateur radio too?
This blows me away because even your police and fire services are going to use antennas.
There are TONS of low profile and stealthy ways to install antennas but I think I would look into the legality of IF they can tell you what you can't put up! You have my sympathies for that injustice pushed on you.:(
N9ZAS

prcguy

You can add a bunch of ground radials made of thin invisible magnet wire or most any thin wire the same color as your roof. Your end result will be about the same as parking a CB equipped van on your roof.
prcguy

Since all the suggestions would be difficult, if I go with an Auto style like a Wilson mounted on the corner of the my roof, Would it work efficiently? There would with limited metal except maybe a gutter.

Again correct to those type antennas make use of the cars metal for ground plane effect?

kb2vxa

Banned
"How is it your entire community doesn't allow antennas AT ALL? Who is the culprit to tell you this,better yet how is this worded? Does this include amateur radio too?"

Yup, antennas with the exception of OTA broadcast and satellite reception which are exempt under federal law have been given the axe by CC&Rs in the deed, municipal ordinances and the dreaded HOA Nazis. Hams are fighting an uphill battle but not a losing one, in some areas we're winning ground little by little so there is a ray of hope.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is stealth goes well beyond the antenna, that's not the only thing that attracts attention. RFI can be a dead giveaway so it needs special consideration, clobber the neighbors and it won't be long before they figure it out. Paramount is the avoidance of modified and "tweaked and peaked" radios that tend to be dirty and amplifiers are out of the question, a stock legal rig is your best bet all the way around. Keep the volume down and likewise your voice, sound carries and neighbors tend to be curious to the point of being nosy. Whatever you do never let them in where eyes can see and confirm suspicion! Stealth means secret so always remember when one knows a secret it remains secret, when another knows it becomes news.

Bottom line here is if they find out you'll see a torchlight parade headed your way. Ignorance is bliss so treat them like mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them sh**.

hockeyshrink

"How is it your entire community doesn't allow antennas AT ALL? Who is the culprit to tell you this,better yet how is this worded? Does this include amateur radio too?"

Yup, antennas with the exception of OTA broadcast and satellite reception which are exempt under federal law have been given the axe by CC&Rs in the deed, municipal ordinances and the dreaded HOA Nazis. Hams are fighting an uphill battle but not a losing one, in some areas we're winning ground little by little so there is a ray of hope.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is stealth goes well beyond the antenna, that's not the only thing that attracts attention. RFI can be a dead giveaway so it needs special consideration, clobber the neighbors and it won't be long before they figure it out. Paramount is the avoidance of modified and "tweaked and peaked" radios that tend to be dirty and amplifiers are out of the question, a stock legal rig is your best bet all the way around. Keep the volume down and likewise your voice, sound carries and neighbors tend to be curious to the point of being nosy. Whatever you do never let them in where eyes can see and confirm suspicion! Stealth means secret so always remember when one knows a secret it remains secret, when another knows it becomes news.

Bottom line here is if they find out you'll see a torchlight parade headed your way. Ignorance is bliss so treat them like mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them sh**.

Maybe the OP can get one of those antennas that were on Hogan's Heros...you remember, the vertical that rose from the flagpole at night when they wanted to operate?:wink:

edit:eek:ops, I forgot, no flagpoles allowed either...

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
I feel for that guy if his community are really blatant a**es to not understand that radio was around long before tv or dish network! I don't mean to rain on evening tv buffs who suck up to the cable and dish providers but radio enthusiasts have their rights too!
Like warren said,STEALTH can be the secret weapon against HOA's and the like. If he has an attic or some tall trees on his property then he's not without :twisted: clout!
N9ZAS

prcguy

If I found myself in this situation of no antennas (which will never happen) and being a licensed hamster, I would run full legal limit with an indoor antenna on bands most likely to disrupt everything and tell them to go pound sand when they complain.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.