• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Browning Golden Eagle - Frequency Counter Hook Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I have a Mark III SSB radio that my grandfather used back in the 70's. This thing has been modified to use the receiver to change the transmit frequency when the transmitter is on channel 1. No external VFO is used at all. I know it sounds strange, but trust me, that's the way it works.

What I'd like to know is how can I hook up a frequency counter so I can watch the freq change as I tune the radio. Right now, I'm using an RF freq counter, but it requires me to key the radio before it displays the freq. I then have to "dial in" to get on freq. I like to already be on freq BEFORE I key up.

I've asked on several CB boards and nobody seems to know. I know how to tap into an external VFO, but I can't seem to find a usable tap inside the radio.

Any clues? Thanks!

Murstech

Your radio is modified to use a transmitter mixing scheme that includes the receivers tuning vfo to determine the final xmit frequency. That way it is possible to tune the receiver and tx freq will match!

Nice mod for a browning.

To solve your problem you are going to need a "digital dial". Wich is a freq counter that you can set an offset on to "match" your recievers vfo output freq to actual operating freq. So lets say you are listening to channel 19... Your receivers vfo may be at a freq of 4.105 mhz. A normal freq counter counting that same freq will read 4.105 mhz. A digital dial type freq counter allows you to program an offset number so that when it reads 4.105 mhz it actually displays 27.185 mhz. You need to buy a digital dial that allows a custom offset entry. Maybe they all have that feature maybe some dont but you need to figure out the offset number to program into the dial.

You may be able to take your freq counter right now and using a small insulated wire as a probe "sniff" out the receivers vfo operating freq by placing the wire next to the radio tube thats closest to the receivers tuning capacitor. As you tune the receiver the freq should change. Once you have your digital dial you can usually use it by placing an insulated wire close to the tube. No need to solder anything!

The freq counter in a glen vfo works just like a didgital dial. You program the offset using small sliding switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.