• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

It discusses proposed rule changes to part 95, which includes GMRS, FRS and CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpwx694

This weekend Docket 10-119 was released.
It discusses proposed rule changes to part 95, which includes GMRS, FRS and CB.

For CB, they discuss 5 minute limit rule, 250km limit rule.

"Amplifiers for CB stations are already illegal, but should we consider prohibiting directional antennas for CB operations in order to facilitate its intended use for short range communications? Should we consider power reductions for the CB Service? Is there harm in allowing CB operators to communicate in sky wave mode, or would such an allowance tempt the use of illegal amplifiers which cause interference? We seek comment on how best to deal with section 95.413(a)(9) and other challenges in permitting a “commons” band regulatory structure in the HF band."

Its a long read:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-106A1.doc

Allan_Love_Jr

CB Radio rules.

"Amplifiers for CB stations are already illegal, but should we consider prohibiting directional antennas for CB operations in order to facilitate its intended use for short range communications? Should we consider power reductions for the CB Service? Is there harm in allowing CB operators to communicate in sky wave mode, or would such an allowance tempt the use of illegal amplifiers which cause interference? We seek comment on how best to deal with section 95.413(a)(9) and other challenges in permitting a “commons” band regulatory structure in the HF band."

Its a long read:

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
_confused__by_ChaosEmeraldHunter.gif
i definitely don't get it

m3ojt

cb on this. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I LIVE IN THE UK,
CB radio here is just crap, operators with large amps, setting off car alarms & interfering tv,s, band 2 & band 3 radio,s etc.
DONT FORGET ALL OF THE STUPID FOUL WORDS THEY USE, F this & F that.

Ham radio over here is nearly dead as well. I am the only operator in the uk to run a radioreference live feed.

I have had complaints from ham radio operators over here trying to tell me to lock out repeaters & chnls etc.

Within ten years all of this stuff will be gone.

I JUST HOPE THE USA DOES NOT GO THE WAY THAT THE UK IS GOING.

73,,,,,,,,,,,,,,m3ojt.

Allan_Love_Jr

I LIVE IN THE UK,
CB radio here is just crap, operators with large amps, setting off car alarms & interfering tv,s, band 2 & band 3 radio,s etc.

Ham radio over here is nearly dead as well. I am the only operator in the uk to run a radioreference live feed.

I have had complaints from ham radio operators over here trying to tell me to lock out repeaters & chnls etc.

73,,,,,,,,,,,,,,m3ojt.
Tell you the truth. The FCC has every right to. The amount of trash talking on the Radio anymore is not acceptable. Especially on Channel 19. If you have heard how those truckers talk over Channel 19. You would just fall back into your seat in total disbelief. It's insane. I hope that the FCC goes through will it's threat.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
While I have only read about 25% of the Docket, It appears the FCC is very confused, while they want to limit GMRS portable radios to 2 watt ERP, they also want GMRS equipment to meet the same narrow band requirements of Part 90. Most users of GMRS use Part 90 equipment for mobile and repeater use in GMRS so why not let that be the standard. I also see that they want to regulate RF exposure levels in GMRS, again why reinvent the wheel use Part 90 rules for that. I also see the FCC trying to limit the range of all personal radios by lowing power output levels claiming channel reuse. GMRS is a happy medium between out of control FRS and commercial radio, and should stay that way. The FCC even states that other services are available for longer range. Those are services you pay for, not my idea of in the public interest. The prohibition of scrambling on GMRS/FRS should be lifted, the FCC's own comments in the past have been that if you don't want someone to listen to your transmissions then scramble them, again a very confused statement. Maybe more to prevent the use of these radios for criminal acts, and allow police to listen unimpeded.
Removing license requirements for GMRS is just another way of eliminating your problem child, this way the FCC doesn't have to address interference issues, which is a cost to them.
I intend to file comments, I will post them here if I have the time

Murstech

I LIVE IN THE UK,

73,,,,,,,,,,,,,,m3ojt.

YouTube - Why is the CB band so dead ?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber

Its a long read:

Very interesting reading to say the least. Thanks for posting it.

Manny

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
If you ask me the problem is with the FCC. They blame (in the docket) bubble packs for having to eliminate GMRS but its the FCC that gave the okay to Uniden and other companies to mass manufacture and distribute at almost no cost a product that allows unlicensed users the ability to transmit on frequencies that require a license. There was also a time when in order to buy ham radio gear you had to show a license, now anyone can walk into a store and say "oh im only gonna listen' and walk out with a 5 watt tri bander or a 50 watt mobile that transmits out the box from 2 MHz to 450 MHz on all modes. If anything, instead of "banning skip", making it illegal to use already illegal amplifiers, eliminating licenses, capping power and prohibiting repeaters, the FCC should take their panties off and start sporting jock straps again.

oh and btw, how in the hell is the FCC gonna ban skip? I know this rule has been in place for decades but its a naturally occurring phenomenon. Its like trying to ban blinking. Yeah it can be fun to work but I cant count the number of times trying to contact friends across town only to get some ratchet jaw sporting a foot warmer in Georgia.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Here we go again with a bunch of lawmakers having nothing to do and ignorant of the laws we already have. Maybe this is a clear indication that making laws without knowledge OF the law is an insane government out of control??? WE DON'T NEED NEW LAWS, WE NEED ENFORCEMENT OF WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE!!!

Better yet narrow enforcement to one rule and one rule only, outlaw 11M CB and nail violators over the deadline HARD! Now when it comes to the whining crybabies bemoaning loss of revenue over loss of an industry I have 4 letters for you... GMRS. Oh and BTW for those who think they will crap up that band guess again, learn some technical standards and practices and STHU.

"I JUST HOPE THE USA DOES NOT GO THE WAY THAT THE UK IS GOING."
Wake up and smell the coffee, the UK is in the process of going while the US has it completed and has been sitting at the bottom since around 1980 when it all fell apart. While many pee and moan about the violators consider the fact they are few, not as compared to what but rather CBers are few; the band is dead, bury it!

Allan_Love_Jr

Here we go again with a bunch of lawmakers having nothing to do and ignorant of the laws we already have. Maybe this is a clear indication that making laws without knowledge OF the law is an insane government out of control??? WE DON'T NEED NEW LAWS, WE NEED ENFORCEMENT OF WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE!!!

Better yet narrow enforcement to one rule and one rule only, outlaw 11M CB and nail violators over the deadline HARD! Now when it comes to the whining crybabies bemoaning loss of revenue over loss of an industry I have 4 letters for you... GMRS. Oh and BTW for those who think they will crap up that band guess again, learn some technical standards and practices and STHU.

"I JUST HOPE THE USA DOES NOT GO THE WAY THAT THE UK IS GOING."
Wake up and smell the coffee, the UK is in the process of going while the US has it completed and has been sitting at the bottom since around 1980 when it all fell apart. While many pee and moan about the violators consider the fact they are few, not as compared to what but rather CBers are few; the band is dead, bury it!
There are more CBers still out here than you think. Not just the Truckers. But 4
wheelers like myself. And weather you know it or not. Thay say that the CB is dead. But in fact they are dead wrong. There are alot of places in this country such as big towns and citys that are still bustling with CB activity. Like I said before. There is coming a day where there will be another terrorist attack on our home land. And when it does happen. The CB Radio will be the only thing that will be able to get out. Because the Cell phone system will get jammed. The day is coming again.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
Just had to disagree with this comment

The CB Radio will be the only thing that will be able to get out. Because the Cell phone system will get jammed. The day is coming again.

I have listened to the CB Band and let me say I was not impressed. There are planty of other bands they would choose long before the CB band sorry

Allan_Love_Jr

Just had to disagree with this comment

The CB Radio will be the only thing that will be able to get out. Because the Cell phone system will get jammed. The day is coming again.

I have listened to the CB Band and let me say I was not impressed. There are planty of other bands they would choose long before the CB band sorry
Well I for one thing will not give up my Radio. CB has a much greater distance than GMRS/FRS Radios.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
There is coming a day where there will be another terrorist attack on our home land. And when it does happen. The CB Radio will be the only thing that will be able to get out. Because the Cell phone system will get jammed. The day is coming again.

God help us if the only band available is CB... Realize that there is already NO self-policing on this band. Do you think for a minute that there will not be chaos if there was a loss of all communication? Chaos would not begin to describe the break-down of "communication" that would occur on CB if a major attack happened in the US.

Back on topic.

These are the issues that bother me:

1) Scrambling - I think scrambling should be legal on personal radios services.
2) GMRS license requirement being lifted - I have a GMRS license (WQEN357) and I oppose the lifting of this requirement.
3) GMRS license going from 5 to 10 year renewal (if they continue with licenses). I agree with this.
4) Power requirements reduced:
a. Handhelds reduced to 2 Watts - I can live with it.
b. Reduction of power for base/mobiles/repeaters to 5 Watts ERP - I disagree and want the rules to remain at 50 Watts My repeater would suffer immensely if I had to reduce to 5 Watts.
5) Narrowbanding - I agree as most users of GMRS use Part 90 radios anyway
6) Is GMRS needed? - Absolutely! The FCC is questioning whether or not GMRS is even needed since most "wide-area personal communication needs are now met by commercial communication providers." That one scares me...
7) Combo radios - I vote NO to combo radios, i.e., FRS/GMRS/Marine radios. Bubble-pack radios are what corrupted GMRS in the first place. Out-law FRS/GMRS radios and only market FRS to places like Walmart and Target.
8) CB:
a. Do not limit distances stations can talk, i.e., 250 km - Instead, enforce already in place power restrictions. Skywave propogation (Skip) happens natually. How can you make it illegal if you can't control nature?
b. Do not limit power even more - They talk about reducing the power even lower than 4 Watts... Even with a legal limit of 4 Watts, people routinely use 100+ Watts on CB.

My whole point rests around the fact that once a band is made license-free, then anything goes in the eyes of the end-user. Look at CB. Look at FRS. Why did the FCC do away with licenses in CB? Because they lost control. They lost control in GMRS and now they are doing the same thing. It makes me mad that I paid for the license and put up a repeater only to have a VOIDED license and not be able to use my repeater. What are we paying taxes for people? They are writing laws to better the government, not to better the people.

I am responding to the FCC with my comments and I hope that you'll join with me. The hams lost a portion of the 220 band. We are going to lose these segments if we don't act. Read that Notice of Proposed Rule Making - It's scary. The FCC thinks that if you want to communicate, then you can pay for a service that's already in place. It looks to me like they want to utilize these bands for monetary benifit in the future. I say they have enough money and need to focus their attention elsewhere, since they have refused to enforce the laws and have turned their back on these segments for so long.

/RANT

Last edited:

Viking1

How about a link to where you can respond?

Now the FCC wants to punish repeater owners when THEY wrre the ones whop created the mess with the approval of combo frs/gmrs radios in the first place!!!!!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
How about a link to where you can respond?

Now the FCC wants to punish repeater owners when THEY wrre the ones whop created the mess with the approval of combo frs/gmrs radios in the first place!!!!!

Submit a Filing

You'll want to enter 10-119 for the Proceeding Number and select "Comment" for the Type of Filing.

Please note that everything you type will be in public view, so let's be organized and to the point.

If you search "10-119", you'll be able to see what others have typed already. We only have 30 days for comments, so make sure your voices are heard.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just KNEW my little "tirade" would bring the EMCOMers out of the woodwork among having other desired effects. Having had a few more than 10 years experience with 11M HF CB >>>BEFORE<<< it all went to hell (and I held a license) I firmly believe we all could do without the do-gooders who do more harm than good in the event of any kind of emergency. It never was anything but a hobby band, never had any serious regulation, never was any kind of organized, always orchestrated chaos and when it could have helped in an emergency the orchestration vaporized, every man for himself.

REACT; there is a huge difference between a response and a reaction, any dictionary will explain it to you. I can see it now, after the event the terrorists are gathered around their CBs jumping up and down with glee as every channel screams with mass heterodyne and nobody can hear anybody else. Am I imagining it? No, just remembering what channel 9 sounded like when the Esso Bayway oil refinery popped it's cork and worse, emergency service vehicles couldn't enter the facility until police towed all the CBers away!

Bottom line is we could do without 11M CB and nobody would miss it, well, none but a handful of CBers and they'll get over it.
"Well I for one thing will not give up my Radio."
When you're staring down the barrel of a LEO's gun you'll hand it over with a smile. (;->)
"CB has a much greater distance than GMRS/FRS Radios."
I can understand FRS but if a UHF repeater can't compete with 5W HF simplex there's something seriously wrong. Now THAT'S something I seriously object to, LEAVE THE GMRS REPEATERS ALONE!

"There are planty of other bands they would choose long before the CB band sorry"
Words fail me only because I'm laughing so hard in agreement!

"My whole point rests around the fact that once a band is made license-free, then anything goes in the eyes of the end-user. Look at CB. Look at FRS. Why did the FCC do away with licenses in CB? Because they lost control. They lost control in GMRS and now they are doing the same thing."
There's A LOT to be said about this little tip of the iceberg, I witnessed the rise and fall of HF CB and it FYI happened at a time when the FCC had considerable funding, equipment including manned monitoring stations and manpower to go with it all the way around. Loss of funding and its effects is only a small part of the issue today, the FCC barely resembles its original structure and purpose, it's less than a shell of its former self. You can't expect enforcement from an auction house so the bottom line here is they didn't lose control, they forfeited control when their purpose changed from engineering and technical oversight to a fund raising arm of the government.

When you're not making enough money taxing something, auction something you can't tax. Humna mumna mum mum nebeebada bumma na bum da bum... sold American!

jshg46

I dont think that is exactly fair of you. I use to be a CB'er a long time ago and did enjoy it while I was in it. I think this is crazy to take away the cb band. What if they wanted to take away one of the ham bands, you could bet people would be pitching a real deal fit over that. The last I listened ham wasnt really policed either, people raising all kind of hell on some of the frequencies in it. CB is just one band , ham has several and they both are really un policed as you call it.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I dont think that is exactly fair of you. I use to be a CB'er a long time ago and did enjoy it while I was in it. I think this is crazy to take away the cb band. What if they wanted to take away one of the ham bands, you could bet people would be pitching a real deal fit over that. The last I listened ham wasnt really policed either, people raising all kind of hell on some of the frequencies in it. CB is just one band , ham has several and they both are really un policed as you call it.

If you feel that strongly about it, click the link above and be heard! I'm still trying to find the right words to put in my statement.

Just to be clear, many hams just stood by without making a peep as the FCC took away part of the 10 meter band and again when they took away part of the 1.25 meter band.

People that don't sound off will have their freedoms take away...

Status
Not open for further replies.