• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Peak and tune, matching

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadranger

Is it absolutly necessary to peak and tune a CB right out of the box? I have a Cobra 29 ltd, and I am using it with an unkown linear amp. With the amp off, the ant. tunes to 2:1 or a little higher. When I switch it on, the ant. tunes nearly 1:1. The ant. is a Francis double wrapped fiberglass, valued as low as $10.00 at some Love's Stopping Centers. It handles 200 w. Then, is it absolutly necessary to "match" the CB to the Amp? Let's get the jokes out of the way, and then get down to buisness. Who wants the first crack, Warren?

prcguy

Antenna match is not affected by an amplifier unless you have so much power its heating the antenna and causing something to change. Are you measuring the match at the radio end? If so, with the amp on you are measuring the input match of the amplifier, not the antenna.
prcguy

TheJerk

Your amplifier is not built really well is the reason the SWR changes. Take the amplifier out of the mix, and tune the antenna directly (using a stand-alone meter, not the radio's SWR meter), then the antenna will be tuned. Most SWR meters cannot be used with an amp on (they are not capable of reading with higher than stock power).

And to answer your question, a peak and tune is completely different than matching to an amplifier. A peak and tune does exactly that, it peaks and tunes the radio (or in other words it maxes out the wattage, correct or not). Matching to an amplifier involves turning a radios output down in most cases as they can easily overdrive most amplifiers and burn them up. That second statement depends largely on the amplifier itself...

That Francis will not take 200 watt for very long, FYI.

Astro25

Well, you do want the radio "matched" to the amplifier (at the very least in terms of appropriate dead key power to the amp.).

If you're going to run the Cobra barefoot without an amp, then yes you'll notice a small improvement with a tune up. Stock they dead key about 3-4watts, maybe swing to 10. Tuned up and you'll get a 4-5watt dead key, and a swing to about 20 watts (sometimes more on older production units, or with 1969 finals and a 2314 driver). This is typically achieved by clipping the audio limiting circuit, although there's cleaner ways to go about doing that depending on radio.

roadranger

No problems...

Antenna match is not affected by an amplifier unless you have so much power its heating the antenna and causing something to change. Are you measuring the match at the radio end? If so, with the amp on you are measuring the input match of the amplifier, not the antenna.
prcguy

There is not heat. Nothing gets hot. The only reports I get are "scratchy" and "fuzzy", the I just turn down the mike gain a little, and all is fine. I have had it reported as " the best radio I've heard yet."

roadranger

Hey, Jerk...

I have placed two different swr meters at the ant. after the amp (six feet of coax between the amp and meter). RS didn't measure up so great, but the Sears seemed to measure the swr at 2:1 either way. It seems that when you turn off the amp, it attenuates the signal out. switch it on again, and the swr is near 1.25:1 on the Cobra's swr meter. Not complaining, it all seem to work fine. My question is, why should I pay some retired hammie $75-100 to peak, tune and match at the next truck stop?

Murstech

Its probably better if you dont do anything to the radio. The amplifier is far beyond what a peaked and tuned radio can do anyway. And you dont want to risk overdriving the amp or someone messing with your AMC circuits.
About the only mod you may ever want to do is the "controlled carrier" mod to reduce your unmodulated carrier level. But I have done that mod before and below a 3 watt carrier I started to lose AMC control so make sure if you ever have that mod done that you make the technition show you the AMC is controlling the modulation.

TheJerk

Its probably better if you dont do anything to the radio. The amplifier is far beyond what a peaked and tuned radio can do anyway. And you dont want to risk overdriving the amp or someone messing with your AMC circuits.

And depending on his amp, he could be over driving it now...I could overdrive my 5-pill with a out-of-the-box Cobra29.

TheJerk

I have placed two different swr meters at the ant. after the amp (six feet of coax between the amp and meter). RS didn't measure up so great, but the Sears seemed to measure the swr at 2:1 either way. It seems that when you turn off the amp, it attenuates the signal out. switch it on again, and the swr is near 1.25:1 on the Cobra's swr meter. Not complaining, it all seem to work fine. My question is, why should I pay some retired hammie $75-100 to peak, tune and match at the next truck stop?

Like I said...remove the amp from the circuit and set the SWR...SWR does not change (with power) once its set. You are most likely seeing "reflected" power as an increase in SWR.

As stated, depending on the transistor configuration of your amp; the power from a stock radio could burn the amp up.

Good Luck

roadranger

okay...

Like I said...remove the amp from the circuit and set the SWR...SWR does not change (with power) once its set. You are most likely seeing "reflected" power as an increase in SWR.

As stated, depending on the transistor configuration of your amp; the power from a stock radio could burn the amp up.

Good Luck

...I get it. I'll have it looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.